C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What signals the fogs to turn off (on high beams)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
2 points:
  1. I have HID fogs so having them turn off when I go to brights (out in the middle of nowhere) is bad for the ballasts.
  2. If you aren't willing to provide assistance, then what are you doing posting anything at all?
Counterpoint to 1 being that if you're driving in a situation where you can use your high beams, you don't need your fog lights, only low beams. Of course, that's also assuming you don't have the crappy stock headlights and aren't using the fogs as a replacement for your low beams.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:33 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Counterpoint to 1 being that if you're driving in a situation where you can use your high beams, you don't need your fog lights, only low beams. Of course, that's also assuming you don't have the crappy stock headlights and aren't using the fogs as a replacement for your low beams.
Bingo, I still have the stock headlights that suck. I'd like to one day get the $1200 V3s but I don't have money to burn. So until then I use my fogs to compensate for poor low/high beams.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:55 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi

Only thing that means is you had a poorly aimed and/or poorly designed fog light setup. Does not invalidate the purpose of fog lights and when to use them.
Well they were a lot more effective than C5 fogs, which are essentially useless, that's for sure.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:26 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Well they were a lot more effective than C5 fogs, which are essentially useless, that's for sure.
The C5 fog lights can be very effective for lighting if:
They are re-aimed to place their cut off just below the low beams.
Install 55-watt HIDs in your stock fog projectors.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:32 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jrprich
The C5 fog lights can be very effective for lighting if:
They are re-aimed to place their cut off just below the low beams.
Install 55-watt HIDs in your stock fog projectors.
I agree higher wattage lighting (HID/LED), and adjusting the beam could benefit normal nighttime vision, but wouldn't this cancel out their ability to really serve as fog lights when/if needed?
I understand most of us try to use our cars in better weather (unless they are our daily driver), but if you travel long distances with your C5 it is possible to run into unplanned fog. I ran into one fog so bad in Florida you couldn't even read the exit signs on the Interstate. Of course, we stopped as soon as possible at a hotel but finding it was challenging.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:26 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Route99
I agree higher wattage lighting (HID/LED), and adjusting the beam could benefit normal nighttime vision, but wouldn't this cancel out their ability to really serve as fog lights when/if needed?
I understand most of us try to use our cars in better weather (unless they are our daily driver), but if you travel long distances with your C5 it is possible to run into unplanned fog. I ran into one fog so bad in Florida you couldn't even read the exit signs on the Interstate. Of course, we stopped as soon as possible at a hotel but finding it was challenging.
My 03 is my daily driver except when I have more than one passenger or if it is snowing or icy.
The stock fog setup was useless for actual fog.........so I repurposed the stock projectors and put them to good use.
To each his own.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:08 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Route99
so based on your input, the best bet is changing to yeller fog lights to reduce the glare bouncing back to the driver from the moisture in the air, still aimed a little higher so as to illuminate further out in front of the car, and you would keep the high beams off (again to minimize glare).
that don't sound like the situation the OP is in...
Old 09-27-2018, 10:24 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Zero use for fog lights here in AZ. The closest thing we get is black out dust storms (literally can't see 2 feet in front of you), but then nothing is cutting through that. I need/want as much light as I can get when out on the back country roads/state highways as there are always coyotes, wild burros, etc. that randomly show up in the road. The further out I can see them, the more time both I have to stop and they have to get out of the way.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:20 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Did you figure it out yet or pull the cluster wire at the star connector and see what happens?

Quick Reply: What signals the fogs to turn off (on high beams)?