C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD Dimmer Knob Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:57 AM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 205 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default HUD Dimmer **** Replacement

My "new-to-me" 2004 Z06 is missing the small HUD dimmer ****. I actually found a replacement online similar to pic below. The little "H" shaped clip in TINY! I can't find any instructions and was hoping someone else here has installed one of these to give me some pointers. I do not have the most steady hands and I am afraid I am going to lose the clip trying to figure out how to install it properly.

THANKS in advance!

Old 09-23-2018, 06:55 PM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow! I thought this was actually going to be an easy question. So nobody has had to replace this ****? I actually tried the clip in a couple of different configurations but couldn't get it to hold. I am sure I am just missing something.

Anybody??
Old 09-24-2018, 01:46 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by MacA1979
Wow! I thought this was actually going to be an easy question. So nobody has had to replace this ****? I actually tried the clip in a couple of different configurations but couldn't get it to hold. I am sure I am just missing something.

Anybody??
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Snaps into place on HUD dimmer prongs.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:50 AM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Snaps into place on HUD dimmer prongs.
At the risk of sounding like a smart-***, is this simply a cut and paste from a website where this **** is sold? Or do you have first-hand knowledge of this installation?

The separate small clip has to be positioned properly for the **** to actually "clip" onto the prong. The clip has a unique two-sided curved (concave/convex) design. I am simply asking if someone has done this installation SUCCESSFULLY before and knows how the clip is positioned.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:54 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by MacA1979
At the risk of sounding like a smart-***, is this simply a cut and paste from a website where this **** is sold? Or do you have first-hand knowledge of this installation?

The separate small clip has to be positioned properly for the **** to actually "clip" onto the prong. The clip has a unique two-sided curved (concave/convex) design. I am simply asking if someone has done this installation SUCCESSFULLY before and knows how the clip is positioned.
It's a cut and paste from a vendor.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I ordered one last year from Southern Car Parts because mine was missing. Insert the spring clip into the **** before pushing it on so it grips the switch when you push it on. Picture is identical to what you posted.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 09-24-2018 at 09:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MacA1979 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 03:31 AM
zetec87
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to slightly bend the clip a little more than it already is. Give it some more curve for a tighter fit. I also used a dab of glue for extra insurance.
MacA1979 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 AM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
I ordered one last year from Southern Car Parts because mine was missing. Insert the spring clip into the **** before pushing it on so it grips the switch when you push it on. Picture is identical to what you posted.
Thanks for the reply, but I am still having a tough time visualizing this! And believe it or not, I do 90% of all my mechanical upgrades on my vehicles!!

So, the wide portion of the clip actually spreads the "jaws" of the switch prong as you push it on?

I did a REAL CRAPPY drawing, but is this the way the clip will be orientated on the switch prongs as the **** is pushed on?
Old 10-22-2021, 09:48 PM
kramers31
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had to replace the HUD slider/dimmer **** on my 2003 C5 and had the same issue of finding some decent instructions. It wasn't clear at all how to position the Spring Clip.
Firstly, I ordered the part/s from Amazon from a Company called Keen "C5 Corvette Head Up Display **** with Clip" for $15 USD. It did not come with instructions.
Secondly, because of the size of the parts and my old eyes, I had to use tweezers and my LED headset magnifiers to do the job. And with much trial and error and dropping the parts several times, I finally figured out the proper fit of the sliding **** and Spring Clip to the Sliding Switch without using adhesive. Although you probably could use adhesive if you want.
Using the Spring Clip as-is was not adequate to hold the **** in place with a good amount of retention, so I modified the Spring Clip to have more "bow" in it using two needle nose pliers. Once I did this I placed the Spring Clip into the inside pocket of the **** with the convex side toward the inner rib of the ****, and pushed it onto the Sliding Switch, which now passes my subjective "tug test!" I took a closeup photo and hopefully it posts with this message; a picture is worth 1000 words...
Hope this helps!

laurent_zo6 (10-27-2021)
Old 02-28-2024, 03:40 PM
mikesurge
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUD Slider Button

Originally Posted by kramers31
I recently had to replace the HUD slider/dimmer **** on my 2003 C5 and had the same issue of finding some decent instructions. It wasn't clear at all how to position the Spring Clip.
Firstly, I ordered the part/s from Amazon from a Company called Keen "C5 Corvette Head Up Display **** with Clip" for $15 USD. It did not come with instructions.
Secondly, because of the size of the parts and my old eyes, I had to use tweezers and my LED headset magnifiers to do the job. And with much trial and error and dropping the parts several times, I finally figured out the proper fit of the sliding **** and Spring Clip to the Sliding Switch without using adhesive. Although you probably could use adhesive if you want.
Using the Spring Clip as-is was not adequate to hold the **** in place with a good amount of retention, so I modified the Spring Clip to have more "bow" in it using two needle nose pliers. Once I did this I placed the Spring Clip into the inside pocket of the **** with the convex side toward the inner rib of the ****, and pushed it onto the Sliding Switch, which now passes my subjective "tug test!" I took a closeup photo and hopefully it posts with this message; a picture is worth 1000 words...
Hope this helps!

Thanks for posting your picture. I also ordered the HUD slider with the clip and was looking for the proper way to install. I superglued the convex side of the clip to the rib so it resembled your picture. The slider snapped on nicely and seems to be snug. I just wonder if the clip should have been flipped the other way to provide more contact with the slider arm.
Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To HUD Dimmer Knob Replacement

Quick Reply: HUD Dimmer Knob Replacement