C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door won't shut right

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Pjduto
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door won't shut right

Hi forum. I have a 2003 with 131,000 miles. I was having trouble closing the driver's door. When you open it you can see and hear the door drop slightly (1/4 to about 1/2 in). When you shut it, you have to lift up on the door to line up the latch. The bushing on the bottom hinge was shot so bad that the door would lock open, so I replaced both hinges, figuring that if the bottom was going should probably do the top as well. The door still does the same drop when it opens and requires the lift to close. I adjusted the top hinge up as far as it would go. The gaps are perfect. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your wisdom and help!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Check the area on the door where the hinge attaches to the door and see if it cracked / fatigued. Common issue on abused doors. Please let us know what you find.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Pjduto (09-27-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

My drivers side sags as well. I think I'm in need of a few new hinges. I'm sure it's go smoothly
The following users liked this post:
Pjduto (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Pjduto
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pjduto
Hi forum. I have a 2003 with 131,000 miles. I was having trouble closing the driver's door. When you open it you can see and hear the door drop slightly (1/4 to about 1/2 in). When you shut it, you have to lift up on the door to line up the latch. The bushing on the bottom hinge was shot so bad that the door would lock open, so I replaced both hinges, figuring that if the bottom was going should probably do the top as well. The door still does the same drop when it opens and requires the lift to close. I adjusted the top hinge up as far as it would go. The gaps are perfect. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your wisdom and help!
As usual the forum had the answer. The fiberglass in the door by the lower hinge was cracked and fatigued. Getting it reinforced next week. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Door won't shut right

Quick Reply: Door won't shut right