C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the Guts of one C5 Rear Differential be Transferred to Another Case?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:47 PM
BigOlly83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the Guts of one C5 Rear Differential be Transferred to Another Case?

Does anyone know if I can directly swap the guts from a 3.42 manual one-rib differential into a three-rib case whether it's a 2.73 or 3.15 without having to worry about all of the fun and games of measuring for spacers/shims? Seems like it would but wanted to confirm before I spent the cash. I bought a trans/diff brace for peace of mind to go with the 3.42 one-rib I got from a 9,000 mile C5, but am not opposed to getting a three-rib case and swapping everything over to give me that extra bit of confidence in the setup. My C5 still has less than 27,000 miles on the odometer, but I'm working on it lol. Just want to do the diff swap once. I did a search for this, but it seems everyone does rebuilds. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2018, 07:50 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't believe a 2.73 case will hold the 3.42 components - the cases are different. Not sure about the 3.15 case but it's likely the same as the 2.73.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:30 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

you won't find any 3 rib cases that came with factory 2.73 gears....or 3.15 either.... the 3 rib cases were Z06 with 3.42 ratio..... your single rib inneards will fit in the 3 rib case NP, but you'll check clearances and may have to shim up....
Old 10-05-2018, 10:11 PM
BigOlly83
Advanced

My 2002 has a three rib case and 2.73 gears with the RPO Code to match. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a three rib 3.15 at a good price on that bidding site so now I just have to decide which one I want to use and/or swap the gears between the cases if I can do so without shimming.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:25 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

All C5's since mid 01 have had 3-rib cases. The newer cases are stronger but not by much. Your best option is to replace the complete diff with a good used unit.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The 3.15 case will hold the 3.42 gears.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:14 PM
BigOlly83
Advanced

Awesome. But will it be a direct swap or will the shims need to be measured/changed taking the 3.42 gears over to the 3.15 case?
Old 10-11-2018, 12:58 AM
BigOlly83
Advanced

I’m thinking that I can swap the gear, pinion, and side covers to make it work being that the bearing races are pressed into the side covers with the appropriate shims. The only variance would be the case itself. Looking at both the 3.15 three rib and the 3.42 one rib, the inside of the three rib has a much more finished look to it. The one rib has a rougher cast look to it on the inside and out.

Last edited by BigOlly83; 10-11-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

OH'BOY!!
DIFF ALIGNMENT/SET UP!

IMHO ,,,,,, Anytime that you remove the pinion from the case and make changes, you ALWAYS need to make sure that the pinion to ring gear depth and ring gear to pinion backlash clearances are with in spec. Every case is a little bit different.

It would SUCK to install everything and have a serious whine or too much/not enough ring to pinion backlash and damage the gears....

When we the owners make our OWN differential set up corrections, the problem comes with getting the proper shim kit parts. They come in big sets and are expensive. You also end up pressing the pinion and side cover bearing races apart numerous times to get the shim set at the correct clearances. You also need the proper Kent Moore or equivalent set up tools.

Call Rick Kim at RKT56 Performance. He will be happy to discus the details with you..

Its NOT that you CANT do it, it just difficult to do properly!

Bill

BC
Old 10-11-2018, 01:20 PM
BigOlly83
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
OH'BOY!!
DIFF ALIGNMENT/SET UP!

IMHO ,,,,,, Anytime that you remove the pinion from the case and make changes, you ALWAYS need to make sure that the pinion to ring gear depth and ring gear to pinion backlash clearances are with in spec. Every case is a little bit different.

It would SUCK to install everything and have a serious whine or too much/not enough ring to pinion backlash and damage the gears....

When we the owners make our OWN differential set up corrections, the problem comes with getting the proper shim kit parts. They come in big sets and are expensive. You also end up pressing the pinion and side cover bearing races apart numerous times to get the shim set at the correct clearances. You also need the proper Kent Moore or equivalent set up tools.

Call Rick Kim at RKT56 Performance. He will be happy to discus the details with you..

Its NOT that you CANT do it, it just difficult to do properly!

Bill

BC
Thank you, sir! I've seen your name on many a post on this forum and value your input. I'll do that if I decide to swap the 3.42 to the other case then. With where I am in the car cash wise, I think I might just stick to swapping out the springs on the clutch packs in the 3.42 for a little bit of insurance and replace the cover/axle seals. Upon further investigation, the 41k mile 3.15 three rib diff has a good bit more play in its LH output shaft than the 9k 3.42 one rib. I have hopes of one day going with a centrifugal supercharger, but with my car being an auto and stock save for full exhaust and a tune, I'd like to think the DTE trans/diff brace would hold everything I can throw at it.

Get notified of new replies

To Can the Guts of one C5 Rear Differential be Transferred to Another Case?

Quick Reply: Can the Guts of one C5 Rear Differential be Transferred to Another Case?