C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD turns on opposite lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 03:48 PM
shems
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HUD turns on opposite lights

INVERTED HUD ISSUE
I just purchased a 2003 Z06 and am very happy. Everything is perfect except for two things, and the big one being my HUD. It works great, but it only reads what should be off. Doesn't read what should be on. I will post some pictures and explain. I tried finding threads about this but had no luck. Buying a new on his an option, but I want to check all my boxes before I do that.
Here are the pics and explanation...

Here I am going 60mph and my gas is on empty. as you can see, there is a 1 because in reality the 1 should be empty. there is a dash going up and down in the middle, that is the part that would be missing on the six. and then the last digit has a dash right dab in the middle. That is a 0 because all the other lights that would make the 0 are missing. If this is still confusing I will give two more examples.

Here I am going 17mph with about a quarter tank of gas left. Normally, only the gas light would be on, but it is the only one that is off. and the middle digit is showing all the lights that would NOT be on for a 1. and the last digits is showing all the lines that would NOT be on if it was a 7. Sadly, I can actually read this now lol but I really want a working HUD.

Heres an example of 46mph. So sadly the HUD only shows what should be off. And everything that should be on is off. It's reversed. I feel like there could be a simple fix here I am just very ignorant to this. Thank you for taking the time!

Last edited by shems; 10-10-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:12 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

From the looks of this a projector replacement is the solution. To replace the projector the dash has to come out. Only used HUD projectors are available as far as I am aware. If I were doing this repair on my car it would take about 2 hours to do the swap.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
shems (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 12:52 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sure does look like the HUD needs replacement. I am going to move this over to C5 Tech though to see if anyone else has some suggestions - like making sure all the connectors are secure, etc.
The following users liked this post:
shems (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:04 PM
shems
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you Vetteman Jack and thank you Gary, looks like I'll buy a new one. I think I will wait two days to see if c5 tech has anything to say

Get notified of new replies

To HUD turns on opposite lights

Quick Reply: HUD turns on opposite lights