C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needle Bearings with Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 01:25 AM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Needle Bearings with Valve Springs

Hey folks,

Just picked up my 3rd C5Z and I’m super excited about it. However, though a gorgeous, well cared for car, it does happen to be an 03 with a VIN just under that 9000 VIN “safe zone” for the valve springs... It’s an 81XXX. In any case, I’ve been calling around for quotes on valve spring replacement and hearing $4-500 for labor, which seems reasonable.

Though one of the shops with whom I spoke brought up a point about the needle bearings - He said if I’m putting in beehive or dual springs (considering this kit https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1224-t...shrod-kit.aspx), I should probably swap out the needle bearings at the same time as they’re also a potential failure point that could become more likely after the spring upgrade. This, of course, will run me another $250ish in labor.

Totally worth it, if necessary/recommended... But my question for you all - Is this something I should really do with the valve springs? Also, what springs are the best choice if I’m not doing any other internal engine mods?

Any insight/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I'm not familiar enough with the valve spring situation to offer any advice Regarding the "needle bearings", you're referring to, the ones in the rocker arms, I do have some experience. The consensus is that if you stay with a stock lift cam, and or stock stiffness valve springs, the rockers should be OK. The operative word, of course, is SHOULD.

Having said that, most of us "enthusiasts" don't like the term "should", we prefer the term "will", as in they WILL hold up. To that end, there are a couple of alternatives to the OE rocker arm trunnions. One is the CompCams replacement trunnions, that still use needle bearings, but they have a better range of rotation, to accommodate higher lift cams, as well as a better retention means, for the needles. There are also kits that utilize "bushings" to replace the needle bearings. To the best of my knowledge, they are sold by Straub Technology, CHE, and Brian Tooley Racing. These bushings also offer a full range of rotation, and "no moving parts" that could fail, and dump debris into the engine.

In the "gearhead's twisted desire" to have a bulletproof engine, even if not racing the car, I've used both the CompCams trunnions, as well as the Straub Technology bushings. While I noticed no difference in performance, between the two designs, Ill say that the bushings made the engine quieter. A lot of the "sewing machine" clatter is gone.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 11-03-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: misspell
The following users liked this post:
DannyG (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 08:20 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Absolutely. I have an early model 03 Z, as well. I just did mine. I changed my yellow valve springs to the GM blue ones. I also changed out my needle bearings for the solid brass trunnion upgrade. I did a lot of research and found for my needs this was the best call. I track my car a few times a year and beat the snot out of it, but the engine is basically stock. I chose the Straub trunnions because they incorporated a good oiling system into the trunnion design and good reviews. I also purchased their optional new rocker bolts.
I did this myself with some tools, like a spring compressor from Jegs (I replaced all of the nuts/bolts and washers with Grade 8 hardware) and a trunnion tool press and air compressor connector from Summit. I would be leery about allowing someone else to do the trunnion upgrade because I have read a lot about people assembling them and having the brass bushings pressed into the rocker arm incorrectly and causing binding issues. I was very particular about this process and had to figure out a fool proof way to do this. If you can find a shop that has done this upgrade and can explain to you how they prevent binding from happening, then let them do it.
Make sure that you replace the valve keepers, valve seals, valve cover gaskets and injector gaskets.
Another question for the mechanic would be how do they torque your rocker arm bolts. If they don't mention anything about finding Top Dead Center regarding the #1 cylinder, they might not be a good choice. The shop manual specifically states how to do this. Some forum members will tell you this is not necessary, but others agree that this is important and if it is in the GM shop manual, it's worth considering.
To me, you are doing the right thing.
Good luck.
Spaggs
The following 2 users liked this post by Spaggs:
DannyG (11-03-2018), jjc508520 (05-26-2021)
Old 11-03-2018, 09:31 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would use the GM valve springs, not the kit you listed. GM did make a design change in the rockers, which I believe was prior to 2003. So replacement is your call.

Here is a post from Eric D from 2010 on the rocker design. IIRC he was a GM engineer.
If you are replacing the trunion because of fear that you may end up with needles falling out, you may want to check out Service Bulletin 02-06-01-029. The issue was on LS1 engines built between 1998 through 2002. If you replace the rocker arms with current part number 10214664 which replaces the earlier part the chance of losing needles is greatly reduced. They list for about $14 each.

Newer design...

Last edited by vettenuts; 11-03-2018 at 09:31 AM.
ThomasR (12-04-2021)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:19 AM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I would use the GM valve springs, not the kit you listed. GM did make a design change in the rockers, which I believe was prior to 2003. So replacement is your call.

Here is a post from Eric D from 2010 on the rocker design. IIRC he was a GM engineer.
If you are replacing the trunion because of fear that you may end up with needles falling out, you may want to check out Service Bulletin 02-06-01-029. The issue was on LS1 engines built between 1998 through 2002. If you replace the rocker arms with current part number 10214664 which replaces the earlier part the chance of losing needles is greatly reduced. They list for about $14 each.

Newer design...
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you're saying the needle bearing issue wasn't/isn't a problem on 03 and up LS motors?
Old 11-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

With your inquiry of beehive springs, my assumption is that you don't plan on babying your new toy. If you are going with a hotter cam, by all means get the beehives. But if you going that route, do the trunnion upgrade regardless of which needle bearings are in place. Cheap insurance.
I'll shut up now.
Spaggs
DannyG (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 04:03 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

$250 in extra labor to replace the trunnions is ridiculous, the rockers have to come off anyway to do the springs and they might be able to add an hour labor at most to do the trunnions which is around $100 at most shops... if it was $250 parts and labor then it's a little more reasonable depending on which kit you go with... the straub and che kits are much nicer in my opinion, that's what I would go with personally

Last edited by neutron82; 11-03-2018 at 04:04 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (05-24-2021)
Old 11-03-2018, 04:11 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Spaggs
With your inquiry of beehive springs, my assumption is that you don't plan on babying your new toy. If you are going with a hotter cam, by all means get the beehives. But if you going that route, do the trunnion upgrade regardless of which needle bearings are in place. Cheap insurance.
I'll shut up now.
Spaggs
Love the feedback, man - No shutting up! And no, I don’t plan on “babying” it per se. It will see a decent amount of track use (HPDE mainly) but, otherwise, it will be very well cared for and strictly maintained.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:15 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by neutron82
$250 in extra labor to replace the trunnions is ridiculous, the rockers have to come off anyway to do the springs and they might be able to add an hour labor at most to do the trunnions which is around $100 at most shops... if it was $250 parts and labor then it's a little more reasonable depending on which kit you go with... the straub and che kits are much nicer in my opinion, that's what I would go with personally
That’s great insight - I don’t rip into engines so I wouldn’t have known that. The shop quoted me an extra 2 hours and they’re $125/hr.

So, in your opinion, that’s just a money grab on their end?
Old 11-03-2018, 04:20 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if it's labor only when done at the same time as the springs then yes... if they are quoting 2 hours it sounds like they are just quoting each individual job and not taking into account that the rockers are already coming off as part of the valve spring replacement... now if you went in only for a trunnion rebuild then it's more reasonable
The following 2 users liked this post by neutron82:
ArmchairArchitect (05-24-2021), DannyG (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 09:06 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts

Newer design...
So are you saying this was not an issue with LS6 motors, just the LS1?
Old 11-05-2018, 04:53 AM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Follow-Up Question

Been thinking it might be worthwhile to do something that’ll provide some performance gains along with this preventative maintenance - If I decided to swap out the cam at the same time, what is a fair amount of time to be quoted/price to pay for that labor?

I assume that could be all over the board and I want to make sure I go in armed with a little more education.

Appreciate it!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:55 AM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

This whole valve dropping issue and needle bearing issues, do they also affect LS1's on 1999 FRC's? Just curious if I should start worrying at 90k miles and maybe plan sooner my cam+springs replacement.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:01 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
So are you saying this was not an issue with LS6 motors, just the LS1?
According to "Eric D", there was a redesign incorporated in later C5's (03/04) to correct the needle loss issue. LS1 and LS6 use the same parts.
DannyG (11-07-2018)
Old 12-11-2019, 06:19 PM
stopstaring
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced mine yesterday. last of the VIN is 22889. Car has 58.5k on it. 2002.

All were yellow springs. Replaced with PAC 1219. A little louder of a sound out of the valvetrain. Did plugs and wires while I was there. Seemingly runs great, as it did before I found this thread. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 05-24-2021, 09:07 AM
Mitch954
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey gang,
New guy here.
I picked up my 03 Z in April (2021). 37k miles.
I was not in to pulling a valve cover to look at the springs, and had a hard time trying to pull the oil fill tube out to take a look.
For 20 bucks, I bought a Bluetooth borescope from Amazon. It might not tell the whole picture, but I was able to easily see that my springs were silver/grey in color.
A big sigh of relief, but I still may change to the blues at some point.
Sry for the big pic.
Build date: 11/02
Last 4: 14642

Old 12-04-2021, 06:18 AM
Gianna66
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

great info

Get notified of new replies

To Needle Bearings with Valve Springs

Old 12-04-2021, 11:06 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyG

That’s great insight - I don’t rip into engines so I wouldn’t have known that. The shop quoted me an extra 2 hours and they’re $125/hr.

So, in your opinion, that’s just a money grab on their end?
Doing the math on this $250 labor quote, they're figuring they can do each rocker in roughly 15 minutes, 40 seconds. I did mine myself, BUT-over 15 minutes minutes to remove the old needles, etc., and press in two new bronze bushings......Well, imho, I think nearly 16 minutes per rocker is terrible As for $100 to R&R the trunnions, that's just over 6 minutes each, and much more reasonable. To the OP, RUN if someone tries talking you into the Comp kit. They fail more often than stock, by contaminating your oil with tiny, powdered metal, similar to powdered sugar. Except steel powder can, and will, splash all over everything inside your engine. My 2 cents.....
vette4fl (04-17-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:39 AM
scottinky
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good morning! I am new to the site, and looking to buy my first corvette at the end of the week. Could someone run a VIN for me? I am trying to see what the options are on this 2001 I am leaning towards puchasing.
1G1YY22G415134122

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-13-2022, 06:16 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by scottinky
good morning! I am new to the site, and looking to buy my first corvette at the end of the week. Could someone run a VIN for me? I am trying to see what the options are on this 2001 I am leaning towards puchasing.
1G1YY22G415134122

Thanks!!!!
This post needs to be moved to the proper topic..............

Quick Reply: Needle Bearings with Valve Springs