C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:45 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts
Default radio install question

This is for my C5 2001

, I have a single DIN for a temporary use along with the PAC OEM-1
I just finished soldering all the cables together as I wanted to look nice. Do I need to connect the RED cable from the PAC to the footwell in order to fire up the radio?

Little confusing on the RED ACC cable. Should I also add a 20 amp fuse inline to the footwell?

I don't want to tap the brown ignition cable.

Pretty sure this is a NOOB question, just a bit confused at the moment.
thanks.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:00 PM
uz1290
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do need to connect the red wire to a switched 12V source. They have add-a-circuit fuse taps if you really want to have it neat. If I recall correctly, there's a already a fuse in the footwell for the stock radio that is 12V acc.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:12 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Originally Posted by uz1290
You do need to connect the red wire to a switched 12V source. They have add-a-circuit fuse taps if you really want to have it neat. If I recall correctly, there's a already a fuse in the footwell for the stock radio that is 12V acc.
i thought it would need to be connected. I will give it a plug in when i get home, i will just run straight to the red wire and see it all sounds.

Anyone else have any other tips?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:30 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by My Vette Life
This is for my C5 2001

I have a single DIN for a temporary use along with the PAC ROEM-VET1

I just finished soldering all the cables together as I wanted to look nice. Do I need to connect the RED cable from the PAC to the footwell in order to fire up the radio?

Little confusing on the RED ACC cable. Should I also add a 20 amp fuse inline to the footwell?...
The PAC ROEM-VET1 requires a switched power source in its red wire. Since the factory radio connector does not have a switched power source (OEM radio is controlled via Serial Bus) it has to be obtained somewhere else. The most common place to do so in 97-03 cars is from the yellow wire that is part of the unused 3 wires taped together in the passenger's footwell (yellow: switched via Fuse 11, orange: always hot via Fuse 7 and black: ground).

Since this harness is already fuse-protected you really don't need to add another fuse.

Originally Posted by My Vette Life
...Anyone else have any other tips?
Just to double-check, did you connect the BLUE-WHITE from radio to BLUE on the PAC ROEM-VET1? If you wired it "blue-white" to "blue-white" instead, your door subs will not turn on and then no real bass.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GCG
The PAC ROEM-VET1 requires a switched power source in its red wire. Since the factory radio connector does not have a switched power source (OEM radio is controlled via Serial Bus) it has to be obtained somewhere else. The most common place to do so in 97-03 cars is from the yellow wire that is part of the unused 3 wires taped together in the passenger's footwell (yellow: switched via Fuse 11, orange: always hot via Fuse 7 and black: ground).

Since this harness is already fuse-protected you really don't need to add another fuse.

Just to double-check, did you connect the BLUE-WHITE from radio to BLUE on the PAC ROEM-VET1? If you wired it "blue-white" to "blue-white" instead, your door subs will not turn on and then no real bass.
i need to look on the blue white. I already cut some unused wires from tbe pac system. Why? Because they're dead cables that didnt feed into the harness.

Will let you know though, i did notice the rear are weaken but the stereo i bought is a cheapo until i figure out what double din i want.

Least it has bluetooth which is great. I did adjust tje pac volume but the rear setting still usless on it. Still sounds louder than stock radio though.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:49 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GCG

Radio installed and working 100% now i need to build a frame for it.

Incase anyone is using an aftermarket radio with a pac, you the YELLOW cable on the footwell to power the unit.

I didn't know it has bluetooth and it sounds great.

This radio has sensitive controls and lacks a mid level, also the rears are no longer 100 % full powered even with adjusting the pac.

This radio is temporary until i figure out what double din i want or find a great deal.

Get notified of new replies

To radio install question

Quick Reply: radio install question