C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BTR Equalizer 1 intake

Old 04-06-2019, 12:32 PM
J_Hunt
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BTR Equalizer 1 intake

I recieved my BTR intake and I need to fit it, before sending it to powder coating. I am currious if anyone has one on their C5 yet? The notes mention "minimum massaging" needed for fitment on the C5 and I would like a bit more info on it from anyone who has installed one.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:29 PM
J_Hunt
Heel & Toe

Well, I started to dig into this project. Here is what I have found.

The Equalizer intake, in combination with a Williams throttlebody and ECS supercharger does not fit. The lower sitting throttlebody has big time clearance issues to the supercharger bracket. This clearance issue is with the throttlebody motor and electrical connector. Next on the list is the issue with cylinder heads that have thicker decks. My MAST heads have a .75" thick deck and will require a fair bit of material removal from the rear "made in the USA" panel and could possibly require some clearancing of the cowl itself. I am not going to be going any further and will look for another intake option.

It does look like in situations not involving my issues, or more stock like conditions. Fitment would only require the raised badge area in the rear of the manifold to be clearanced.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Can you not rotate the TB 180*? My actuator rests on the driver side with my FAST 92. The LS2 TBs would open "upside down" this way. The LS7 TBs (which cost less anyway) would open the "correct" way for our cars when rotated. Would that aid you with fitment? I did this on mine with an older A&A P-1SC kit / bracket and it has worked flawlessly. I remain unsure of the dimensions and location you're working with.

Do you have any pictures to share?

Name:  d7ucc3R.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  3.82 MB
Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Additional thought. The website, as I just read, suggests that the intake must be "massaged" to clear factory C5 hoods.

Hinson sells slightly lower engine mounts. I don't recall the dimensions, but I think it drops the engine approximately 3/8" or 3/4"... either way.... that would provide extra clearance as well as some upgraded mounts. Your issue then may be adjusting plumbing to the TB but those pipes can be custom bent at a shop or custom ordered from Doug @ ECS or the A&A crowd.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:50 PM
J_Hunt
Heel & Toe

Dropping and spacing the cradle will get me my clearance I need. I have been in talks with BTR to come up with diffrent options. I will start at 3/4" and see whee that gets me. I am also going to modify the SC bracket to accomodate the throttle body motor size and electrical connector location.. Flipping it 180* only causes intrference with the p/s resivoir. I could try to space out the reservoir but space moving it forward might become an issue.The BTR intake lowers the throttle body position a bit and points it slightly upwards. Thet FAST manifold fitment is diffrent for sure.

I have Pfadt engine mounts and want to keep them. The Hinson mounts could also be an option for those willing.

Once I nail everything out I will update what was required in my circumstances. I realy love the looks of this manifold and will make it work. I do not want a cowl hood or anything like that, so options are limited.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

I spaced my power steering reservoir forward maybe an inch or more using aluminum spacers on the bolts. All I had to do was install a coupler and extend the hose to match. Works fine. It actually worked out amazingly because the tb actuator housing acts as a block which helps hold the reservoir firmly in place.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Please add some pics one you complete this project. Curious as heck to see it!
Old 04-16-2019, 02:14 PM
J_Hunt
Heel & Toe

I will investigate the PS resivoir more before modifying the SC bracket. I need to take the alt, ps bracket off to go for powder coating anyway. I hope my flip drive will caue no interface but we will,see what that holds when we get to it. It is pretty clear of the resivoir. I have a Moroso fabricated aluminum p/s resivoir BTW. I think,it has the same dimensions as the OEM one.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

What color for the bracket? I went with crinkle black on mine. I had a spare alternator taken apart and the frame done the same, but now I will need a whole different unit for the 03. It's a small thing to do, but it looks that much better under the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To BTR Equalizer 1 intake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BTR Equalizer 1 intake