C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent metal rubbing sound on Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:39 AM
NoradIV
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Intermittent metal rubbing sound on Z06

Hello Guys,

My car has developed an intermittent metal rubbing sound. It comes from the engine bay and appears to come from the front of the engine. I hear this mostly at idle or at low speed. It possibly becomes overpowered by engine noise at higher speeds; I can barely hear it from inside the car.

If you watch this video, the sound that seems to come from a metal saw is actually from the car. It is more audible at the beginning. I have verified that there was nothing rubbing on the pulleys.

Anyone has any clue and how I can isolate this?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by NoradIV; 04-24-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Leftlane_1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be a pulley itself that is on its way out. Check the tension pulley. I had to replace mine last year.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:49 AM
NoradIV
Racer

Originally Posted by Leftlane_1
Could be a pulley itself that is on its way out. Check the tension pulley. I had to replace mine last year.
How do I... check it? Taking off the belt and see if it spins freely?

Last edited by NoradIV; 04-24-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Leftlane_1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NoradIV
How do I... check it? Taking off the belt and see if it spins freely?
Yes, undo the belt and spin the pulley by hand. If there is excessive noise, I would replace. Its a quick 30 second job that can determine if thats the cause of the noise or not.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:22 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

You can also run the car without the belts for a short time. You say the noise is intermittent, so that might be not practical. But it's worth a shot if none of them spin rough/noisy by hand.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:15 PM
NoradIV
Racer

Originally Posted by Leftlane_1
Yes, undo the belt and spin the pulley by hand. If there is excessive noise, I would replace. Its a quick 30 second job that can determine if thats the cause of the noise or not.
Ok, I have removed the belt, spun every pulley. None of them made any scratching, had any resistance or noise. All smooth. I spun water pump, power steering, alternator as well. I wasn't sure where the AC belt was (I remember seeing it in the past), I will take a look tommorow if for the love of god it can stop raining for more than 30 minutes.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:08 PM
NoradIV
Racer

Found what it was. Of all the things, it had to be the most expensive one, AKA the AC compressor...

Has anyone tried this?

Edit: I just went outside, waited for the sound to appear, then engaged the AC and it seems to go away. I will do some more tests next week.

Last edited by NoradIV; 05-02-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:29 AM
NoradIV
Racer

Alright, I have removed the AC belt and the sound has gotten away. I have read a couple places that the AC compressor clutch cannot be replaced while the compressor is in place, and replacing it would require removing the radiator and the water pump, plus purging the system and possibly replacing the condenser. I certainly do not have 2000$ for this job. Looking at it, I don't see why I couldn't replace just the clutch while in place. Can anyone comment on this?

I also have found
this part this part
. I haven't done any research to know if its the correct one (I will before buying), but it appears I can purchase a clutch alone.

Last edited by NoradIV; 05-06-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent metal rubbing sound on Z06

Quick Reply: Intermittent metal rubbing sound on Z06