C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 12:14 PM
swampmonster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help with TPMS

All four of my sensors stopped working at some point but my tires didn't need replacing until recently. I only had to replace the two rear tires so I bought two new GM sensors and had them installed with the new tires. Keep in mind the two sensors in the front are still not working. I tried to train the sensors using the magnet but the two front sensors are not responding at all. Because the training starts with the two front tires, I put the magnet to the read tires instead so I could at least get a reading on them. After scanning the two in the rear, I aborted the training and drove off. For some reason after driving the car for like 15 miles to work, the pressure readings for the new sensors in the back (TPMS thinks they are in the front) have not budged. However when I got to work I retrained with the procedure above and sure enough, the pressure readings for the back were higher as expected.

Is there any explanation for this? Is there a way to tell the TPMS to bypass the front sensors and just train the rears? Why wouldn't both brand new sensors in the back not update the pressure? Are they not updating because the sensors are in the back when the TPMS thinks they are in the front (different diameter wheels)??

Last edited by swampmonster; 05-13-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:57 PM
swampmonster
Instructor

Any ideas? Any feedback? Basically, the brand new sensors that I got from rockauto are stuck at the pressure that was reported at the time when I used a magnet to train them. Why would they be stuck like that? I have driven many miles.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:37 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

I just replaced all 4 sensors on my C5. All new, all AC-Delco... When I tried to teach the LF it worked with a small circular magnet. The RF would not learn nor would the other three.
Couldn't figure out what was wrong, maybe the magnet not strong enough, so I tried buying a TPMS magnet from Amazon and I also read in one of the threads that the tires must travel over 40MPH for 2 minutes. I got the new magnet, a powerful circular one that fits around the valve, took the Vette out for about 15 minutes, and tried the teaching procedure from start.
Some tires required two applications. Place magnet, wait 30 seconds, if no beep then try again in 15 seconds. All four worked and all four readings were updated...
Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM
swampmonster
Instructor

Originally Posted by bc6152
I just replaced all 4 sensors on my C5. All new, all AC-Delco... When I tried to teach the LF it worked with a small circular magnet. The RF would not learn nor would the other three.
Couldn't figure out what was wrong, maybe the magnet not strong enough, so I tried buying a TPMS magnet from Amazon and I also read in one of the threads that the tires must travel over 40MPH for 2 minutes. I got the new magnet, a powerful circular one that fits around the valve, took the Vette out for about 15 minutes, and tried the teaching procedure from start.
Some tires required two applications. Place magnet, wait 30 seconds, if no beep then try again in 15 seconds. All four worked and all four readings were updated...
In my situation, the two new sensors are recognized with the magnet but they don't get updated when I drive around. Would you or anyone know why they won't update? Could it be because the other two sensors don't work?
Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM
gtzy
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Suggest replacing the other 2 sensors and then all 4 will train in order and entire system will function.
I had an experience having 2 front missing sensors.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-working.html

Get notified of new replies

To Help with TPMS

Quick Reply: Help with TPMS