C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded Pull Key Wait 10 seconds AFTER LMC5 install

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 AM
somen
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dreaded Pull Key Wait 10 seconds AFTER LMC5 install

I have an 02 6 speed convertible and recently installed the LMC5 kit as a precautionary move- I was not having any known problems. Now every 3 or 4 starts I get the Remove Key Wait 10 seconds message. I have emailed the supplier but have not heard anything about a possible fix. I look forward to your experience and suggestions on this.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 AM
BlackHellcat
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I got that too...till I did the brown wire mod.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:12 AM
Heyspike
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts

Been down that road, my 98' wasn't a candidate for the brown wire mod. Call the guy at the LMC5 he'll walk you through it. He replaced mine - said it could be a problem. I put the new one in and it is much better. The only time it comes on now is when I leave my radar detector on for days and the battery gets a bit week. Other than that I'm good to go.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 AM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Second that. No issues until I installed the LMC5 kit then started getting the Remove Key message. Do the brown wire mod and all should be good.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I have the CLB installed on my '98 that was out before the LMC5 since 2007 and I've never had the message again. Even with a low or bad battery. I do have the LMC5 in my trunk compartment for a just in case though. I was thinking about installing it anyway as most people say it's the sure fire fix all but I've heard a few people having issues with it so I think I'll just keep the CLB in until I absolutely need it.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Gary In NM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHellcat
I got that too...till I did the brown wire mod.
Mine did the same, been two months and still no problems
Old 06-18-2019, 01:52 PM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 205 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Two questions:
  • Did you follow the written instructions provided TO THE LETTER? There is a youtube video that does not follow all the steps. I have read that there can be some issues after installation if not installed exactly as written.
  • Did you do the brown wire install? (as already asked) I did a lot of research before installing mine and read several cases where the fault continued until the brown wire was installed. I decided to go ahead and do the brown wire on my '04Z. No issues since (knock-on-wood!)!!

I have also heard that Richard (owner) at Compliance Parts is a great resource if you are having issues. Their number is (855) 565-8388

Good Luck!!

Last edited by MacA1979; 06-18-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:46 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I purchased your C5 LMC5 kit recently for my 1997 Corvette with 6 speed manual because I have the dreaded “Pull Key Out for 10 Seconds” error where car dies if you try to drive it. After installing, it I still had the error, so I did the brown wire install, when I went to do that, the socket that is supposed to have the green wire you replace with the brown didn’t have the green wire, so I just installed the brown one per instructions and was rewarded with the column lock error message as well and no start, so I reversed the brown wire portion of the install.

The previous owner had the issue all the years he had it, not certain how it didn't drive them crazy. I have a new ignition switch I was planning on installing, but figured I would try asking Richard and borrow from all his years of experience, waiting to hear back. Low battery is probably not it as previous owner had replaced battery and it meets the specs Chevy list. I was thinking of having a new key made, but the three I got with the car all have the same issue so it is not likely. Perhaps the BCM is bad? I really don’t want to have to get another one with different keys, not certain if a new/used/replacement BCM can be programmed to work with my current keys?

So I will be watching this thread to see if any useful information that applies to my situation manifest itself.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Heyspike
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts

Pull the brown wire out, and disconnect the battery for a bit. The reconnect it and try again. You may have to reset all the memory.
Definitely search this but there is a data reset operation using the battery terminals. I think you reverse them.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:04 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

I have a '99 6 spd. About a year ago (?) I found my steering wheel locked (I thought that had been taken care of by previous owner). Ordered the LMC5 and installed it and all was back to being well. Some time later I got the "pull key and wait 10 second" message. After doing that all was well. What I found was that if after turning the key on, but not starting, and letting the gauges do their initial sweep before engaging the starter the message never shows up. Only when I rush does the message appear. I have no idea why it works that way but it does. I just take the extra few seconds to let the guages make their sweep and settle back and never get the massage. Hope this may be of help. Best wishes!
snaponjimmy (03-02-2024)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:11 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyspike
Pull the brown wire out, and disconnect the battery for a bit. The reconnect it and try again. You may have to reset all the memory.
Definitely search this but there is a data reset operation using the battery terminals. I think you reverse them.
Thanks, I will check into that, the battery was disconnected when I did it, but the reset memory suggestion is something I haven't tried.

Originally Posted by friou
I have a '99 6 spd. About a year ago (?) I found my steering wheel locked (I thought that had been taken care of by previous owner). Ordered the LMC5 and installed it and all was back to being well. Some time later I got the "pull key and wait 10 second" message. After doing that all was well. What I found was that if after turning the key on, but not starting, and letting the gauges do their initial sweep before engaging the starter the message never shows up. Only when I rush does the message appear. I have no idea why it works that way but it does. I just take the extra few seconds to let the guages make their sweep and settle back and never get the massage. Hope this may be of help. Best wishes!
I am glad that works for you, I actually put the key into the ignition and put it on to accessory right before where you engage the starter and wait to see if the message will come up before I even turn on the motor a majority of the time and still get it, but I will make sure to slow down the overall process and see if that helps.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 PM
bahamallama
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

When I installed mine it locked my column. He didn’t reply to my email so I called and spoke to him and he told me how to manually unlock it with speaker wire rather than him selling me a kit. He was great to talk too and really wanted to help, not just make a buck. Great guy and company, no issues since!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:36 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Did the install and got the wait 10 seconds message, so did the brown wire mod. Car (02 Z06) went into 2 mph fuel cutoff mode. Of course we were leaving for the museum the morning this happened so I took the LMC 5 out and reconnected the original wires. Richard was kind enough to send me a new one,, which I have yet to install. Kind of fearful of what might happen.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:29 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:59 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I "mechanically disabled" my column lock mechanism, YEARS AGO, by chucking the "lock ring" in a lathe, and removing the detents that the lock plunger would engage. Therefore there was nothing that would cause the steering wheel to not be able to turn. That method had worked well, for about 15 years. This was after I tried installing one of the early "CLBs", which didn't work well, and I removed.

My car is older now, with older electronics, etc, so I decided to "play it safe", and install an LMC5. As "MacA1979" said, in an above post, you HAVE to follow the instructions to the letter. I set out to do the "brown wire mod" right from the start, but didn't fully read that part of the instruction sheet. Yes, I clipped and capped the "brown loop" that comes out of the LMC5 itself, but failed to continue to read the instructions, where it says to connect the LONG brown wire from the LMC5, to the harness, in place of a brown wire that you remove from the harness, and subsequently cap off.

When I had the LMC5 installed incorrectly, I got the "pull key" message, as well as the "service column" error messages, AND the 2MPH fuel cut off. I was initially short on time, and had to back the car into the garage, and with the fuel cut off, it was a bit of a challenge. Later in the day, I went back, re-read ALL of the instructions, found my mistake, fixed it, and now everything is working properly.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 06-20-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: misspell
laurent_zo6 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:57 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

I had problems when I got one of the LMC5 wire terminals 180 deg off in the connector and it wasn't making proper contact.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:31 PM
snaponjimmy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same for me

Originally Posted by friou

I bought my 02 Z06 a few months ago and it already had the LMC5 installed. I have noticed that when I jump in and fire it up, I will get the dreaded message about 20% of the time. If I let the gushes sweep and settle before engaging the starter, I never get the message.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Dodgeturbpo
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

So if the steering wheel turns free with the ignition off and key out does this mean the lock has been removed. I see it has had a couple early recalls done to it. Mine has the LMC5 without the brown wire mod but don’t want to mess with it unless necessary, I get the wait 10 message at times but like others said if I wait until gauges sweep no message. 2000 M6
thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded Pull Key Wait 10 seconds AFTER LMC5 install

Quick Reply: Dreaded Pull Key Wait 10 seconds AFTER LMC5 install