C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Z06 : improve turning radius

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 11:42 AM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,009 Likes on 642 Posts
Default 2001 Z06 : improve turning radius

One of my least favorite aspects of my 2001 Z06 is it's turning radius. Looks like the turning circle is 42.3 feet vs 40.2 for later years of the Z06. Doesn't seem like a huge amount but that 5% improvement could easily be the difference between whether or not you need to go into reverse to complete a turn. And I often have to use reverse to complete turns in my 2001.

Anyways, any ideas what needs to be changed out? Steering rack? I've got an upcoming harmonic balancer job, so it seems changing out the steering rack could be a "while I'm in there" task.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I would first figure out what the HARD STOPS are on the C5. Are there stops on the wheel spindle or are there stops inside the cylinder?

Then look at the clearances between the tire and frame /body at full left and full right before you make any Hard contact.

That will tell you if you have any lee way to make improvements. My Jeep wrangler had a post on the spindle that could be,,, if you desired,, "CUT DOWN" to gain some extra LEFT/RIGHT extreme wheel movement.

Never really looked into the C5 hard stops. Let us know what you find.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 06-21-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:19 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I would first figure out what the HARD STOPS are on the C5. Are there stops on the wheel spindle or are there stops inside the cylinder?

Then look at the clearances between the tire and frame /body at full left and full right before you make any Hard contact.

That will tell you if you have any lee way to make improvements. My Jeep wrangler had a post on the spindle that could be,,, if you desired,, "CUT DOWN" to gain some extra LEFT/RIGHT extreme wheel movement.

Never really looked into the C5 hard stops. Let us know what you find.

BC
Thanks for your reply.
To my knowledge none of these changed between 2001 Z06 and later C5Z:
  • wheel size/offset & tire size
  • fenders & fenderwell
  • spindles
So if none of those changed, then I'd imagine a 2001 Z06 should be able to accommodate the sharper steering angle of a later C5Z.

To your point about where the steering stops are, I would guess they're not in the knuckles (I'm assuming the knuckles didn't change). But then I suppose that means the stops are in the steering rack?

Also, anecdotally while speaking of Jeeps: my wife's 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee recently experienced a changed right-hand turning radius; it randomly started worsening and continue to do so over the span of a week until we had her stop driving the car! Left-hand turns were fine and normal, but right-hand turns she would have to perform a multi-point turn just to get around a shopping center.
Turns out that Jeep's steering stops were in the "steering gear box" (similar concept to our steering racks). I replaced the steering gear box and her right-hand turns are as good as ever.
Point being, I'd expect the steering stops for our C5s are in the rack.

Last edited by MetalMan2; 06-26-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:45 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:52 PM
02torchred
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I've looked into this personally and found that you can use aftermarket spindles, but a lot of modification needs to be done to the wheel wells. These are the drift angle spindles and are used by such people. The reason we have crappy turning radii is because of the enormously wide sizes that can go on our stock cars. If you induce any more angle, they start rubbing heavily into the wheel well plastics.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:58 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 02torchred
I've looked into this personally and found that you can use aftermarket spindles, but a lot of modification needs to be done to the wheel wells. These are the drift angle spindles and are used by such people. The reason we have crappy turning radii is because of the enormously wide sizes that can go on our stock cars. If you induce any more angle, they start rubbing heavily into the wheel well plastics.
Thanks for posting. Do you know if this is the case for all 01 and later Z06? I would assume it applies more-so to later Z06 than 01 since those models have a tighter turning radius from the factory.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:19 PM
Tenshots1
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Slam on the gas when you start to turn. Slides those tires right around.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tenshots1:
Kubs (07-01-2019), Pounder (06-27-2019), turabo87 (07-11-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 01:18 AM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

C7 spindles have shorter steering arms and may decrease turning radius. I have a set here that I will get around to playing with sometime.

As 02torchred mentioned, there are also drift spindles/arms that will allow crazy steering angle, but will throw your steering geometry way off.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:44 AM
02torchred
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
Thanks for posting. Do you know if this is the case for all 01 and later Z06? I would assume it applies more-so to later Z06 than 01 since those models have a tighter turning radius from the factory.
Yes it is the case for all C5 and C6 models. If the later C5s got only 2ft tighter in an already-very wide circle pattern, it shows how little room they have for movement even with stock tire sizes.

If we reduced it by even 5ft, you would have the stock tires (not to mention aftermarket) rubbing hard into the plastic wheel wells.

Last edited by 02torchred; 06-28-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:33 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
C7 spindles have shorter steering arms and may decrease turning radius. I have a set here that I will get around to playing with sometime.

As 02torchred mentioned, there are also drift spindles/arms that will allow crazy steering angle, but will throw your steering geometry way off.
I'm interested to hear the outcome you'll have.

Originally Posted by 02torchred
Yes it is the case for all C5 and C6 models. If the later C5s got only 2ft tighter in an already-very wide circle pattern, it shows how little room they have for movement even with stock tire sizes.

If we reduced it by even 5ft, you would have the stock tires (not to mention aftermarket) rubbing hard into the plastic wheel wells.
I should've been more clear, when I said "Do you know if this is the case for all 01 and later Z06?", I was specifically responding to this: "If you induce any more angle, they start rubbing heavily into the wheel well plastics."
My question being, can the 2001 Z06 achieve the same steering angle/turning radius as 02-04 Z06 without rubbing? I'd LOVE to have a 2ft tighter turning circle, that's all I want. I don't need the potential increase resulting from C7 or drift spindles.

Mostly I'm curious to know if there are 02-04 Z06 part(s) I can bolt on to my 2001 and achieve the 02-04 turning radius. i.e. swap out the steering rack.

Last edited by MetalMan2; 07-01-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Received 183 Likes on 165 Posts

Changing out your steering wheel to a smaller and make sure everything is super tight on the turn might pick you up that 5% plus more. I’ve seen it done on a old cutlass or two.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:04 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Speedy007
Changing out your steering wheel to a smaller and make sure everything is super tight on the turn might pick you up that 5% plus more. I’ve seen it done on a old cutlass or two.
Looking for specifics here, not necessarily what may have worked on another vehicle.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:14 AM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Any other ideas? 2004 Z06 steering rack will bolt in to 2001 Z06 and improve '01's turning radius to match '04's?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

I tried tell ya to change the steering wheel to that of a smaller one. Car will most likely not have a driver air bag after though. You could do a search on up it see what people say!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:43 AM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

I tried tell ya to change the steering wheel to that of a smaller one. Car will most likely not have a driver air bag after though. You could do a search on up it see what people say!
Let's say I were interested in changing out the steering wheel and losing the airbag (I'm not), how would this improve the turning radius? Are you suggesting the steering stops are in the steering wheel?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:51 AM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

The smaller wheel shortens rotation the diameter distance on which your turning the wheel. Leading to a sharper turning scenario. So the distance and time it take you to turn is much quicker leading to a faster turn. Less effort to. I’m simply saying that a smaller wheel is quick to turn than a larger wheel. The circumference isn’t the same at the wheel. Have you ever seen people with those smaller chain link wheels in the car ? they had put them there not only for looks! Hope it helps ya. Adding a 4 wheel steering just isn’t gonna happen to cut up turning radius. Nor is shorten you steering linkages. Your steering wheel is most likely is your only option to improve it at all. Like I was saying you will lose your air bag for sure. Unless you tape it up there or something

Last edited by Speedy007; 07-11-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:56 AM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenshots1
Slam on the gas when you start to turn. Slides those tires right around.
Was about to post the same thing!! Helps a bit of RPMs and clutch drop too.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Z06 : improve turning radius

Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by turabo87
Was about to post the same thing!! Helps a bit of RPMs and clutch drop too.

Lol ya crank the ebrake when your about to hit the corner get 2nd and hammer down. Lol not really j/k with ya.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:28 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

The smaller wheel shortens rotation the diameter distance on which your turning the wheel. Leading to a sharper turning scenario. So the distance and time it take you to turn is much quicker leading to a faster turn. Less effort to. I’m simply saying that a smaller wheel is quick to turn than a larger wheel. The circumference isn’t the same at the wheel. Have you ever seen people with those smaller chain link wheels in the car ? they had put them there not only for looks! Hope it helps ya. Adding a 4 wheel steering just isn’t gonna happen to cut up turning radius. Nor is shorten you steering linkages. Your steering wheel is most likely is your only option to improve it at all. Like I was saying you will lose your air bag for sure. Unless you tape it up there or something
I thought this was what you were getting at. The time/distance it takes me to turn isn't the issue, but how tight the car can turn at full lock. Steering wheel will have no impact on that.

Lol ya crank the ebrake when your about to hit the corner get 2nd and hammer down. Lol not really j/k with ya.
Of course my Z06's e-brake is one of those that doesn't do anything! Planning to adjust it when I replace brakes soon though.

Last edited by MetalMan2; 07-11-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MetalMan2
I thought this was what you were getting at. The time/distance it takes me to turn isn't the issue, but how tight the car can turn at full lock. Steering wheel will have no impact on that.
That sir is a different case. With the above mentioned spindles and the wheel fix should leave you doing donuts with ease. The point of it is the time, distance and efforts it take to reach full turn will be so much quicker than your stock. Your full turning distance wouldn’t change. on the distance and time it takes to get there changes drastically. Leading to a faster 1st initial turn. but ya for which the car would spin in a complete rotating circle would not change. Hope this helps narrow it down what can be done . Thinner tire could also pick up up a few small degrees. And some top speed.

Quick Reply: 2001 Z06 : improve turning radius