C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:55 PM
trdeschenes
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem

Hi. My first weird problem with the car I've had for 3 years now. 98 Base A4, 47k miles. It ran fine earlier, went to take it for a little ride, got in, turned the key to on, radio came on, gages did their dance, DIC did it's scroll thing, turned to start and everything went dead. Turned to off and I can hear a ticking/knocking sound about every second coming from the front of the engine compartment, sounds like a relay toggling off/on. I opened the hood and I can't quite place where it is emitting from. The sound times itself off. The red security light on the radio is flashing like normal. And the radio spit out the CD that was in it.
I took off for about a half hour, tried it again and it's the same.
Any thoughts?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:25 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Bad battery. Pull the battery and take it to an auto parts store and have them do a load test. If it tests bad or barely good replace it.
If the battery is over 3 yrs old replace it.

The C5 Corvette is sensitive to bad batteries. And what you are describing is a classic battery failure.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
trdeschenes (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:33 PM
trdeschenes
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

battery manufacturing date is 10/18, I bought in in Oct of last year, but that dosen't mean anything. I just threw my jump pack on and it started, it was a bit labored, but it started. 13.8-14 vdc at idle, DIC says SERVICE VEHICLE SOON. Idle is rough, led readouts in radio and climate control are not good and strong.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:36 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 508 Likes on 425 Posts

I would also very closely inspect your battery cable terminals at the battery and at the starter solenoid. Check battery cable connections at the engine fuse box, and of course check your negative cable where it connects to the engine, and as advised have your battery load tested.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical problem

Quick Reply: Electrical problem