C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Squeaking After DIY change

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 12:14 AM
olikatz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeaking After DIY change

Just recently did my first DIY brake pad and rotor change. I noticed the brakes start squeaking when I apply pressure to the pedal after driving for a couple of minutes. I used AC Delco semi-metallic pads and AC Delco Rotors. I used the new brackets and shims that came with the pads and used a bit of grease on the bracket. I also used CRC paste on the back of the pad. I also greased the guide pins with the grease that came with the pads. I used brake cleaner on the rotors and wiped them down with a clean rag. I realized that I did not clean the guide pin before lubing it. Did I not use enough lube on the bracket? Maybe put the shim the wrong way? Before I open the caliper back up, what should I look for? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2021, 12:28 AM
jim993
Drifting

Received 544 Likes on 346 Posts

You should first do a break in of the pads. Try six stops to a slow roll (not a dead stop) from 30- 0 then three more from 50- 0, all one after another, then let them cool and see what's up.

I have changed pads many times without doing anything to the rotors, I don't believe that or grease on back of pads or guide pins are related to brake squeal.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:13 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Squeaking is vibration. Do a proper bed in procedure and it'll likely go away.

If not I'd investigate calipers that don't freely slide. (one pad is tight and the other is loose)

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Squeaking After DIY change

Quick Reply: Brake Squeaking After DIY change