C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS 315 mhz Are they all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 09:04 AM
Rconce01
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Default TPMS 315 mhz Are they all the same?

Just need some quick input. Im looking to getting the TPMS working on my 04. I bought a set of 4 sensors on ebay hoping i could program them with a magnet like it shows here on the forum. The new ones didnt work and from what ive gathered the receiver in the car is fine because my keyless entry is working. I know the c5 has a tpms for 97-01 and 01 -04 are all the 315 mhz tpms the same? Is there anything special to the corvette 01-04 magnet activated TPMS? The ebay ones listed as the correct part # for my car they just dont train. Part # 25773946

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293580685387?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=o6PcvqqrSV-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=pzDfWe4CQlq&var=&wi dget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Old 07-09-2022, 09:13 PM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 274 Posts

You might need a hand held tpms programer/trainer to get them to work. Some of the new sensors are universal but they need a compatible device to get them into learn mode. The magnets won't work on them.
The following 2 users liked this post by C5MSG2004Vert:
corvettezman (09-15-2022), Rconce01 (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 04:32 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Originally Posted by C5MSG2004Vert
You might need a hand held tpms programer/trainer to get them to work. Some of the new sensors are universal but they need a compatible device to get them into learn mode. The magnets won't work on them.

Nice thanks i did see that OEC-T5 programming tool on amazon! So the magnet trick is for the 98-01?
Old 07-21-2022, 04:19 PM
Joshclifford84
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 for the $12 programming tool for after market sensors. Magnet did not work, needed to be programmed via tool.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:31 PM
spfautsch
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Rconce01
So the magnet trick is for the 98-01?
Only older style sensors with a reed switch can be activated with a magnet. The ones you bought off ebay can only be triggered by the 120khz tool.

Edit: Hmm, after looking at the ebay link those appear to be the old magnet triggered type. Are they installed in the wheels already?

Also, 97-00 used one type of modulation, 01-04 another (ASK vs. FSK). So to answer your original question, no, not all 315mhz sensors are the same. You need sensors compatible with the RDLR module you have. Is your module original to your '04?

Last edited by spfautsch; 07-22-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 02:00 PM
spfautsch
Racer

One other thing that came to mind you may want to consider. I've read somewhere here that the RDLR can be programmed with a Tech 2 to disable the TPMS functionality altogether. That may be another possibility as to why the sensors aren't being learned.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:37 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Originally Posted by spfautsch
Only older style sensors with a reed switch can be activated with a magnet. The ones you bought off ebay can only be triggered by the 120khz tool.

Edit: Hmm, after looking at the ebay link those appear to be the old magnet triggered type. Are they installed in the wheels already?

Also, 97-00 used one type of modulation, 01-04 another (ASK vs. FSK). So to answer your original question, no, not all 315mhz sensors are the same. You need sensors compatible with the RDLR module you have. Is your module original to your '04?

I returned the ebay ones because i bought the tool and they still wouldnt program . Not sure if the tool i bought is the correct one like you stated the 120khz. I bought

OEC-T5 EL 50448

No i didnt install the sensors on the wheel i wanted to get them to program before going through all the work of installing them.

yes my module is the original one its a 04 commemorative edition.

I pulled one of my olde sensors out and they say made in UK part # GM 25731358
Old 07-27-2022, 09:38 PM
Rconce01
Pro

One other thing that came to mind you may want to consider. I've read somewhere here that the RDLR can be programmed with a Tech 2 to disable the TPMS functionality altogether. That may be another possibility as to why the sensors aren't being learned.
well the sensors used to work like 5 yrs ago and they slowly started dying. I dont think its disabled
Old 07-28-2022, 09:03 AM
spfautsch
Racer

That's the same tool I have, there's nothing too special about them. They transmit a 120khz signal that wake the sensors up.

If I read that ebay auction right, that price seemed awfully low for a set of four sensors. I'm wondering if you didn't get some old stock sensors that had dead batteries. Or some cheap chinese clones that weren't programmed correctly.

If you need the clamp-in type, these are the cheapest I've found universals. I have no affiliation with either seller.

Amazon Amazon

These would need to be programmed first using a handheld tool.

Amazon Amazon

I bought the tool to use to test the older 97-00 sensors after I replace the batteries. I would be willing to buy a set, program, test and send them to you for an additional $10 s & h.

If you don't absolutely need the clamp-in type sensors, there are cheaper alternatives on Amazon.

All of these universal type sensors definitely have to be triggered with the tool, they do not respond to magnets.

Edit: One other thought - were you sitting in the driver's seat when you attempted to learn the ebay sensors? That's probably the best place as the receiver antenna is behind the driver's rear quarter panel.

Last edited by spfautsch; 07-28-2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:47 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 991 Likes on 627 Posts

I just replaced mine last year with Schrader 20117. programmed with a speaker magnet, no issues.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:42 PM
spfautsch
Racer

That's certainly an option, but I've found not everyone (myself included) feels the convenience is worth > $200 every 8-10 years when a tire gauge is < $20.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:45 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 991 Likes on 627 Posts

20 years so no big deal, and they work perfect instead of guessing which aftermarket ones will
Old 08-03-2022, 11:07 PM
Rconce01
Pro

That's the same tool I have, there's nothing too special about them. They transmit a 120khz signal that wake the sensors up.

If I read that ebay auction right, that price seemed awfully low for a set of four sensors. I'm wondering if you didn't get some old stock sensors that had dead batteries. Or some cheap chinese clones that weren't programmed correctly.

If you need the clamp-in type, these are the cheapest I've found universals. I have no affiliation with either seller.

https://www.amazon.com/Main-Resource.../dp/B07BSR35XJ

These would need to be programmed first using a handheld tool.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8W2856

I bought the tool to use to test the older 97-00 sensors after I replace the batteries. I would be willing to buy a set, program, test and send them to you for an additional $10 s & h.

If you don't absolutely need the clamp-in type sensors, there are cheaper alternatives on Amazon.

All of these universal type sensors definitely have to be triggered with the tool, they do not respond to magnets.

Edit: One other thought - were you sitting in the driver's seat when you attempted to learn the ebay sensors? That's probably the best place as the receiver antenna is behind the driver's rear quarter panel.

Yes the ones on ebay were very low price but they had like over 50 sold so I figured it was worth a shot. Yes I was sitting in the driver's seat when I tried to program them.

Well I may try those $25 Amazon ones. They look more like the 97-00 style. Do you think it will be compatible with my 04?

Thanks for the link.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:10 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Originally Posted by feeder82
I just replaced mine last year with Schrader 20117. programmed with a speaker magnet, no issues.
Nice thank you these are around 50 bucks each. How long have they lasted you?
Old 08-04-2022, 08:12 AM
spfautsch
Racer

Well I may try those $25 Amazon ones. They look more like the 97-00 style. Do you think it will be compatible with my 04?

Thanks for the link.
As they are shipped they won't work for anything. As I've mentioned they are universal sensors that come unconfigured. Before they will work they must have a configuration flashed on them with the tool (which I own). I was offering to buy a set, configure them to work for a 01-04 C5, test and then send them to you. However, you could buy the tool and do the configuration yourself.

Once these universal sensors are configured, they will work just like any others except will need to be triggered during relearn with the OEC-T5 tool.

The Schraders will work out of the gate, but will need to be triggered during relearn with a magnet.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:23 PM
Rconce01
Pro

As they are shipped they won't work for anything. As I've mentioned they are universal sensors that come unconfigured. Before they will work they must have a configuration flashed on them with the tool (which I own). I was offering to buy a set, configure them to work for a 01-04 C5, test and then send them to you. However, you could buy the tool and do the configuration yourself.

Once these universal sensors are configured, they will work just like any others except will need to be triggered during relearn with the OEC-T5 tool.

The Schraders will work out of the gate, but will need to be triggered during relearn with a magnet.

Now I understand, the ones I got originally required that configuration and I thought the OEC-T5 was the tool that would configure it. Now I understand the OEC-T5 only activates them. Well thanks for that explanation let me think about which ones I should buy. How much do you charge to flash them typically?
Old 08-11-2022, 09:40 AM
spfautsch
Racer

Now I understand, the ones I got originally required that configuration
No, at $35 for four sensors I don't know what you got there. Way too cheap to be universal programmable sensors.

How much do you charge to flash them typically?
I offered to do that for $10 s&h on top of the cost of the sensors. But they have to be the 17-43042 sensors.

If interested PM me and we can work out payment details.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS 315 mhz Are they all the same?

Old 08-11-2022, 08:25 PM
Varilux
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

I have one sensor (rear right tire) that recently stopped sending a signal. I was about to pull the trigger on a sensor listed as "ACDELCO 25773946 GM Original Equipment; Programmed" on RockAuto. I'm assuming that one should be fairly straightforward (i.e., take it to Discount Tire, have them install it and the sensor will mate to the car)? I don't mind paying $50 if the sensor is plug and play. I recently purchased new tires, and the sensor started dropping out soon thereafter (currently, it works sometimes and sometimes I get a notification in the DIC to service the TPMS... when I get that notification, I notice the Rear Right is reading "XXXX").

I did notice they listed two distinct OEM sensors (one was listed as being for a European application).
Old 08-12-2022, 01:31 AM
spfautsch
Racer

Originally Posted by Varilux
... about to pull the trigger on a sensor listed as "ACDELCO 25773946 GM Original Equipment; Programmed"
Pretty sure that's the PN that superceded the OE 2001-2004 sensors PN 25731358. So yes it should be magnetically activated, plug and play.

That said, if one of them is dropping off and the others are roughly the same age you'll probably find yourself replacing at least one more if not all of them before the next tire change. This is why I try to find the cheapest sensor that will do the job and replace them all as a set every other tire change (depending on your driving habits).

Originally Posted by Varilux
I did notice they listed two distinct OEM sensors (one was listed as being for a European application).
I believe the sensors you're referring to are 433mhz and were only used on C5s manufactured for export to Europe or Japan. These cars can be identified by RPO codes VD1 or VE1 on the build sheet / sticker. To the best of my knowledge C5s not built for export will all use 315mhz sensors.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:56 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Originally Posted by feeder82
I got them but they aren't activating with a magnet. I kinda wanted to program them before putting them in the wheels just to be sure they work.

Quick Reply: TPMS 315 mhz Are they all the same?