C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 05:09 PM
mnhutch
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alternator Whine

I have a low mileage 03 AE that I have owned for about a year. Recently I have a loud whine on startup that seems to be the alternator. The voltage starts at 11 volts and finally goes up to 13.7 as the car comes up to temperature. Wondering if I should look into getting it rebuilt or just get a new one. Any recommendations on where to get a new one? Stick with a GM replacement?
Thanks!
Old 12-06-2023, 07:49 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 527 Likes on 440 Posts

Many corvette owners have their otginal alternators rebuilt, don't buy rebuilts from auto parts store. There are several different alternators you can buy, but if you get the wrong one you may have a charge system problem.
The following users liked this post:
mnhutch (12-06-2023)
Old 01-18-2024, 05:30 PM
mnhutch
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mnhutch
I have a low mileage 03 AE that I have owned for about a year. Recently I have a loud whine on startup that seems to be the alternator. The voltage starts at 11 volts and finally goes up to 13.7 as the car comes up to temperature. Wondering if I should look into getting it rebuilt or just get a new one. Any recommendations on where to get a new one? Stick with a GM replacement?
Thanks!
An update to my alternator whine. I did have the original one rebuilt but that didn’t work. I got the charge fault warning. I took it back to the shop but they said it worked fine and didn’t know what else to do. I ended up ordering a GM 145amp one from RockAuto. It was $100 less than the 110amp unit so I went with that one after researching that it should work. Fired it up and all is well. I guess the new one would have been better in my case but yours may work out differently.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Whine

Quick Reply: Alternator Whine