C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Oil pressure drops at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 10:47 PM
96Formula6spd
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Random Oil pressure drops at idle

Hey everyone. So I am now chasing an issue after replacing my broken valve spring. After fixing a broken valve spring I was having weird oil pressure drops mostly at idle. Cruising was fine and normal. However on cold starts I would actually see the oil pressure climb up 5-8psi while cold at the same rpm. I figured with the lightly bent pushrod that maybe a lifter needed to pump back up. I did slap a new oil pressure unit in as well but the readings have been the same. So I figure that both sensors were good unless my cluster is acting up. After a day everything went back to normal and has been for the last month or so. Yesterday oil pressure at idle was 16psi all the way home. Normally its around 25-27psi depending on how hot the oil is. Been that way since I got the car at 84k miles. Its now at 155k. Cruising pressure was fine. But at 4k it seemed lower while I was testing.

Hopefully this is not the bottom end saying I am done. Oil level is at the full mark. Car has been running Amsoil since 50k miles. When the spring broke there were not pieces laying around. It looks like the spring broke in one spot and got jammed in itself. The cracked place looks like it could be put back together. So I don't think anything got into the pan.

Anybody got any ideas. Is there an easy place to drop in a mechanical gauge to check oil pressure on a ls6. Might try dropping the lower pan down to see if there is anything in there. Can you get the upper pan off or to the oil pickup with the engine in the car? Doubt a failed lifter would cause this. Maybe I am just unlucky and the engine is toast.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:10 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,427 Likes on 14,043 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech for some advice.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:17 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Hey everyone. So I am now chasing an issue after replacing my broken valve spring. After fixing a broken valve spring I was having weird oil pressure drops mostly at idle. Cruising was fine and normal. However on cold starts I would actually see the oil pressure climb up 5-8psi while cold at the same rpm. I figured with the lightly bent pushrod that maybe a lifter needed to pump back up. I did slap a new oil pressure unit in as well but the readings have been the same. So I figure that both sensors were good unless my cluster is acting up. After a day everything went back to normal and has been for the last month or so. Yesterday oil pressure at idle was 16psi all the way home. Normally its around 25-27psi depending on how hot the oil is. Been that way since I got the car at 84k miles. Its now at 155k. Cruising pressure was fine. But at 4k it seemed lower while I was testing.

Hopefully this is not the bottom end saying I am done. Oil level is at the full mark. Car has been running Amsoil since 50k miles. When the spring broke there were not pieces laying around. It looks like the spring broke in one spot and got jammed in itself. The cracked place looks like it could be put back together. So I don't think anything got into the pan.

Anybody got any ideas. Is there an easy place to drop in a mechanical gauge to check oil pressure on a ls6. Might try dropping the lower pan down to see if there is anything in there. Can you get the upper pan off or to the oil pickup with the engine in the car? Doubt a failed lifter would cause this. Maybe I am just unlucky and the engine is toast.
Try a new oil pressure sender. The OEM oil senders are notorious liars! Get an O'Reilly cheapo, and probably all is well......
Old 02-26-2024, 09:30 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,431 Likes on 858 Posts

I suspect all is well - try another sender. Don't over worry about it
Old 02-26-2024, 08:58 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

When in doubt, put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine to see what's actually happening. There is access to the main oil galley, right after the pump, low on the LHS of the block. IIRC, the threads in the block are M16 x 1.25.

Frankly, there have been enough problems reported over the years about the OE oil pressure sender, that I wouldn't trust it any further that I could throw it. I'd say that there is a 98% likelihood that you have an oil pressure sender problem.

Having said that, since the engine was recently apart, another possibility is that some lint, swarf, or some other debris has found its way into the oil pressure relief valve area, periodically hanging it slightly open.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:17 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

I'd get a new sensor from NAPA.

If you have a 2 piece oil pan, I'd drop the bottom cover to check for debris. Cutting the oil filter open would also be aa good idea.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:32 AM
Doctor7474
Heel & Toe

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes these oil pressure sensors even the GM ones are trash.

Use a manual gauge to check it, if it's ok then replace the sender.

While there I suggest putting an extended oil pressure sender kit on the car so you don't have to pull the intake every time to replace the sender as they can and do fail that often, I had one that actually blew out and caused oil to go everywhere, I had to have the car towed home, this was prior to putting the extended kit on it. Now I keep a spare sender and 2 adjustable wrenches in the cubby in the trunk so I can replace it on the side of the road if it ever happens again....

Get notified of new replies

To Random Oil pressure drops at idle

Quick Reply: Random Oil pressure drops at idle