C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test for HVAC vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 01:21 PM
CorvetteHeadz
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Test for HVAC vacuum leak

What is the best/easiest way to test whether I have a vacuum leak associated with the canister in the passenger fender that controls the which vent air comes out of in the car? I suspect, I have an issue ie cracked plastic line or something, but trying to minimize time and effort for testing. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2024, 04:25 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 677 Likes on 544 Posts

I don't think there is much in the way of a quick and easy on this. The engine side of the line is attached at the center rear of the intake manifold -- and a tight fit for anyone with full size hands. Unfortunately, that kind of where you need to test from, since testing from other ends of the line, such as at the HVAC control valve, will create a vacuum signal at the reservoir check valve or the open cavity of the intake manifold.
Bear in mind that for some of us -- me, for instance -- it's easier to get the line off the manifold than it was to get it back on. ugh
My line was broken under and behind the battery in the center of the wiring harness AND the check valve was/is dead AND the reservoir has a leaking crack. I bypassed the reservoir with a line to the manifold. Works fine as long as I don't go full throttle -- and that works fine, just the HVAC loses path control.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:40 PM
CorvetteHeadz
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks. Yeah, my problem is just intermittent and if I switch to circulate then back again it goes back to normal. I’ll just leave it alone. The amount of work to fix it may not be worth it. Haha.

Get notified of new replies

To Test for HVAC vacuum leak

Quick Reply: Test for HVAC vacuum leak