C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 04:16 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch

I just had a SPEC stage III clutch installed last week and it is real cattery right now. How long will this chatter last? I've heard 800mi, but that must be city driving. Is there any technique that makes it less noticeable? It feels like I’m almost getting wheel hop when trying to accelerate moderately from a dead stop. Was yours like this? It feels real good once the car is moving, but I dread hills right now.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:35 PM
aaaa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (QuickSilver2002)

My stock clutch does that and when I asked for advise I got alot of smartazz answers.-Good luck :rolleyes:
Old 07-02-2003, 04:43 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine lasted for about 300 to 500 miles and smoothed out, until then its all or nothing--either the dash shakes like an earthquake or you do a burnout launch there is no inbetween, after about 2 years my older version still does not slip but when cold especially it shutters and clatters when taking off slowly--I hate it but not sure that there is an alternative---
Old 07-02-2003, 04:58 PM
DeViL
Advanced

Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (NEPTUNEBILL)

A friend of mine just put one in too and said his started to smooth out at a couple hundred miles. All this is discouraging since I too have one to install as soon as my new engine arrives. I may have to take a road trip somewhere just to get rid of the chatter in a hurry.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:42 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (DeViL)

either the dash shakes like an earthquake or you do a burnout launch there is no inbetween
Exactly! I feel like I'm in a low rider with the bouncing earthquake effect. I also feel that people are looking at me thinking "learn to drive a stick dude".

It seems to be pretty smooth as you first start to let it out, but then it's all or nothing as it gets close to full disengagement.

I’m guessing that highway miles do no good for the break in. I put 200 mi on it last week, but it was 99% highway and I barely had to push on the clutch pedal. Does anyone know if non stop driving helps break it in.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:11 AM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know if non stop driving helps break it in. -No
:nonod:
Old 07-03-2003, 05:48 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (aaaaa)

my spec III never stopped making noise. 9 months and 7k miles + heavy drag race use- nada. Goddambed ting makes all kinds of noise upon release. This is my 2nd spec clutch, BTW, for this very problem. Good luck, man. I would have never suggested this clutch to you.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:28 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (rwj383)

Damn! I'm about to have the 4.10's dropped in and I was thinking about putting in a Spec clutch at the same time.

Others in the past have recommended the Ram setup. Any comments or other suggestions?
Old 07-03-2003, 10:23 AM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (Patches)

I was going to put the new generation spec III in my stroker, my tuner has had a great deal of success with them but I am skeptical as no one seems to like the damn things--the mcleod dual disk is looking like the way to go as I keep hearing they have worked out any problems with shimming etc---
Old 07-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (Patches)

Cartek Clutch and Mcleoud dual disk are supposse to be great options from what i have seen. The Mccleoud dual disk clutch seems to be the cat's as as regarding the top dog performance clutch. If $ is not a concern that's the way to go in my honest opinon.

[Modified by MTI 427 Roadster, 9:54 AM 7/3/2003]
Old 07-03-2003, 05:54 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (MTI 427 Roadster)

I would not call this clutch crap just yet. I've had several people tell me it smoothes out pretty well after a few hundred miles of city driving.

I'm not sure if it the way I'm starting to drive it or what, but it seems to be getting better this week. I'll post back in a few weeks with more info.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:38 PM
SR71
Burning Brakes

My stage III ceramic is doing great.I have about a thousand miles on it now,but it was fairly smooth from the beginning.you need to learn to keep the rpm's low and make a quick,clean release while breaking it in.I broke mine in at a rod run in one night.3hrs of move a car length and stop....move another car length and stop.....the engauge and release cycles make the clutch,pp and flywheel wear in flat and smooth together.after the initial break in a few 3k dumps really smooths it out....I can't complain so far. :D...you can expect that a 700rwhp clutch is not going to drive exactly like a stocker though.

[Modified by SR71, 11:39 PM 7/3/2003]
Old 07-03-2003, 07:02 PM
BLUTHUNDER
Drifting

Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (SR71)

Britt , I have over 3000 Miles on my SPEC III..And she still Chatters like the day it was installed :banghead:
I thought that mine did it because of the Aluminum flywheel , but based on the feedback it looks like it's standard with the SPEC product.

Good news is once the car gets warmed up it goes away.

:cheers:

Jeff
Old 07-03-2003, 07:26 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (BLUTHUNDER)

Mine chattered for about 800 miles till I beat the crap out of it with a 4k launch on the bottle.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:41 PM
boblackhardtop
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch (ICULUKN-C5)

Mine finally smoothed out after 2000+miles, city driving !!!! I have the carbon metallic

Get notified of new replies

To ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch

Quick Reply: ? for those with a SPEC stage III clutch