C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Dylan Savage
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Oil Cooler (kromberg)

Kromberg - can you describe your setup in a little more detail.. particularly the oil filter adapter you used? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Oil Cooler (Dylan Savage)

Kromberg - YES :iagree: . Also, how are you filtering the oil now. :confused:
Old 08-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,983 Likes on 5,360 Posts

Default Re: Oil Cooler (Jim Shearer)

Haven't been looking at the forums as much as before. To reply to JakeL's question about the thermostat. The stock thermo starts to open around 150 degrees and is fully open at 195. I had two in the car. The original and a warranty replacement because I thought the original was opening to soon. Both did the same thing. The radiator doesn't need much flow at part throttle situations to cool the fluid coming through the radiator. Basically, the outlet coolant was going back into the engine at a much reduced temperature. The only way to get the coolant temp and oil temp up was to run the engine hard.

You can check the thermo opening point by feeling the upper radiator hose. Just start with a cold engine with a coolant temp around 40/50 degrees. Even though there is a trickle through the hose most of the time you can really feel the hose get hot when the thermo opens. When you feel it start to get hot just check coolant temp on the DIC.

As John said in cold weather with this radiator you need to change the lines, block off part of the radiator or use an oil line thermostat to keep the oil temp up.

Bill
Old 08-13-2003, 10:03 AM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Oil Cooler (C5inNY)

The oil filter adapter pulls oil into the filter from the oil pan. When the oil exits the filter, rather than entering back into the engine, it goes to a 3/8" outlet. Connect this outlet to your oil cooler. The return line from the oil cooler connects to a second 3/8" outlet on the adapter. This second outlet returns the oil to the oil pan.

The nice thing with the cooler, is the fan. Under normal driving I have it turned off. Oil temps are around 180ish. When I do some continous WOT driving, oil temps climb up to 210ish, turn on the fan and they drop back down to 180ish :)

Keith

Old 08-16-2003, 10:17 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

birddog;

I am local and can help you. I sent you an email.

Robert Judd
GenIII Motorsports
Old 08-21-2003, 11:40 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

The nice thing with the cooler, is the fan. Under normal driving I have it turned off. Oil temps are around 180ish. When I do some continous WOT driving, oil temps climb up to 210ish, turn on the fan and they drop back down to 180ish :)
Keith -

how is header clearance with the GM adapter? I want to ensure it'll clear some nice LG Longtubes :)

Also, how did you mount the cooler? Andy @ A&A had said he sometimes just uses the plastic screw thingies to tie it to the condensor, or did you fab up a mount that is similar to the bit that DRM and the others use?

-Jake

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler