C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column Lock??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 12:05 PM
DLSCWBYVT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Column Lock??

I got in the car this morning. Started it up and the "Pull key...wait 10 secs" came up. Though about ignoring it at first, so hit the reset, it came back on after a few seconds. I went ahead and pulled the key, waited 10 seconds. Started the car up and everything seemed fine. Drove it and had no problems.

My questions are these,
1. Should I be worried at this point that I could be looking at the column locking up sometime soon?

2. Can the dealer fix this (will they fix this)? My car is an 01, is there a recall?

3. Should I buy this CLB kit from jmX that I just read about? Should I be worried between now and when I receive this/get it installed.

Thanks in advance!

DLSCWBYVT
Old 08-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Column Lock?? (DLSCWBYVT)

1- Yes
2-Yes
3- Yes.....forget about number 1 & 2 and just by the fix from Jon. That's what I did a few weeks ago and the install was cake.

:cheers:

-Busa196-
Old 08-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Terry Corp
Drifting

NW Events Coordinator

Yep, had the same "pull Key" message last week. The next time I stopped at a restaurant about 300 miles from home, I got the "pull key" message, again, followed by the "service column lock" message. The steering wheel would still turn but the engine refused to run and would die under any load. The car had to be towed and we were stuck with getting a motel overnight.

The dealership (Ron Tonkin Chevrolet of Portland, OR) had an 01 coupe with the same problem the day before (they provided excellent service for us, incidently). The 01 car had died in the middle of a six lane intersection and blocked traffic for over a half hour until the tow arrived. Law enforcement had threatened to have the 01 car towed using a standard wrecker instead of a flatbed - you can imagine the results from that!! Get the CL defeat now!! We're still waiting to see if GM will re-emburse us for the motel room...... :rolleyes: :cheers:

TC

[Modified by Terry Corp, 2:15 PM 8/14/2003]
Old 08-14-2003, 03:29 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Column Lock?? (Terry Corp)

I just ordered my CLB from jmx five minures ago. Although I have not had any problems yet, I jus dont want to take the chance on getting stuck somewhere. It is probably the best $38 I invested so far in the car.

Aloha
Bill
Old 08-14-2003, 10:33 PM
XCELR8R
Instructor

I had the steering column lock up on me also. Lucky for me I was washing the car on the drive way in front of the house. I talked to the Chevy service guy and they had fixed two vettes with the same problem. They took my VIN number and did a check and it seems as though there is a wire harness and solenoid replacment for the fix. The old harness was routed wrong at the factory, and one of the wires can wear through and short out. This locks the column up and will give you column lock display. $180 for the fix. about one hour to do the job. By the way I got the steering wheel unlocked by starting the car and turning the wheel back and forth about five times. Shut the car off, restarted and it was unlocked. :auto:
Old 08-16-2003, 02:18 AM
ROCKnROLL
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Column Lock?? (XCELR8R)

welcome to the forum!
i'm interested in the fix and not the bypass.
does the $180.00 include the kit and the labor?
thanks,
ROCKnROLL
Old 08-16-2003, 03:06 AM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Column Lock?? (ROCKnROLL)

From what I have heard, the fix does not always "fix" the problem. Many people here have reported having the same problem after taking it to the dealer for the fix. The bypass kit will eliminate the problem forever. :cheers:
Old 08-16-2003, 03:13 AM
TwoThirtyFive
Intermediate

Default Re: Column Lock?? (Busa196)

Who is Jon? I need to buy the kit... My column locked up in my 98 vette a week ago. Thanks Erikhalbasch@yahoo.com
Old 08-16-2003, 08:16 AM
Pat97Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Column Lock?? (TwoThirtyFive)

http://www.c5howto.com/?category=10 Here's the link you need to get the Bypass from jmX. He's got great HOW TO instructions as well.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Terry Corp
Drifting

NW Events Coordinator

Default Re: Column Lock?? (Pat97Vette)

Additionally, everyone should keep in mind that the CLB must be installed and not just carried with you. If your collumn locks, it must be freed up before the CLB can be installed. That usually involves the hassle of the tow and the trip to the dealer, as well as all the thousands of inconveniences that have been documented.

While you're at it, put a Ultima Red Top in your cars to solve the battery leakage problem. That's becoming a serious problem, too, and the damage the leak can cause can be extremely expensive....

:cheers:

TC
Old 08-16-2003, 08:37 PM
GENERAL ST
Pro

Default Re: Column Lock?? (Terry Corp)

97 got hit yesterdayw/ lock.talked to Chev cust assistance 2)ordered
Corvettes Houston by pass kit wheel must be unlocked in order to work
Chevrolet will call back Monday.This afternoon went to check codesand after
about 15 minutes pushing reset options fuel 4x the wheel went free and
later service column lock indicater stopped.Going to wait to hear from Chevy
Monday as what is up! On web all 97s are Chevrolet Servicer Bulletins.This will be taken care of! :seeya :chevy I have good fortune w/Chevrolet cust
service......so far...and am always on the look out for maggotts!!!!! :seeya
:flag :flag :flag :seeya :chevy :chevy
Old 08-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Column Lock?? (GENERAL ST)

Eliminate the potential problem and install the CLB. It's a farily easy install and you will have peace of mind. :yesnod:

:smash: :smash:
column lock

[Modified by Doughan, 7:44 PM 8/16/2003]
Old 08-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Column Lock?? (Pat97Vette)

http://www.c5howto.com/?category=10 Here's the link you need to get the Bypass from jmX. He's got great HOW TO instructions as well.
Pat, I want to thank you for a great web site. I used your instructions and installed the bypass in about 45 minutes. :cheers:
Old 08-16-2003, 10:44 PM
XCELR8R
Instructor

Yes the $180 was parts and labor. :auto:
Old 08-16-2003, 10:50 PM
alexWS6
Drifting

Yes the $180 was parts and labor. :auto:
The dealer charges to fix the column lock problems???? Why dont they cover their mistakes under warranty??

I had the lock happen yesterday and plan on calling my dealer Monday, this should be interesting. . .
Old 08-16-2003, 11:10 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Guys, I see some of you are new here. GM has performed some column lock fixes for certain model years (99, 2000 I think) for free under a recall. This is no doubt, the same repairs that were done for $180. I have a drawer full of recall notices because I haven't taken mine in. This fix doen not solve the problem, though it may improve your odds. The only way to be sure you don't have column lock is to install the CLB, which is what I did. As TerryCorp warns, you have to install it while the system is working properly. You can't do it after it locks. Also, the CLB will not work after GM does the "recall repair", or so I've read.

[Modified by need-for-speed, 10:12 PM 8/16/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 03:01 AM
Terry Corp
Drifting

NW Events Coordinator

Default Re: Column Lock?? (need-for-speed)

Need-For-Speed and Doughan

You're right on all points!! We can't emphasize the need for all MN6 people to do the CLB. My 2000 didn't have a VIN low enough to qualify for the recall so I hoped I'd be beyond the problem.....wrong!! I did carry a CLB with me but never got around to installing it. Having the bypass with you doesn't help because the column needs to be free for the install.

I installed the CLB yesterday after the dealer had installed the new "updated" lock. The steering remains free and the CLB seems to function ok with the new lock. I'll let everyone know if it should malfunction later... I fact I'll scream it to the world! Since the bypass doesn't allow the column to lock, I don't see how, if it is free immediately after the installation, how it could possibly lock again with the locking electronics disabled. We'll see...... If anyone has experienced a lock-up after the CLB install, please let us all know....:cheers:

TC

Get notified of new replies

To Column Lock??

Old 08-17-2003, 06:28 AM
0to60
Racer

By the way I got the steering wheel unlocked by starting the car and turning the wheel back and forth about five times. Shut the car off, restarted and it was unlocked. :auto:
:confused:

If the column was locked, what do you mean you "turned the wheel back and forth about five times"?
Old 08-17-2003, 02:51 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Re: Column Lock?? (0to60)

By the way I got the steering wheel unlocked by starting the car and turning the wheel back and forth about five times. Shut the car off, restarted and it was unlocked. :auto:

:confused:

If the column was locked, what do you mean you "turned the wheel back and forth about five times"?
You are correct in your observation. What he probably meant was to pull on the wheel in either direction while turning the key on and off until it unlocks. This is known fix that often works.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:26 PM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

welcome to the forum!
i'm interested in the fix and not the bypass.
does the $180.00 include the kit and the labor?
thanks,
ROCKnROLL
Had mine fixed last year under warranty. Bill was $180.00 total parts and labor. Dealer changed out my ignition switch. I haven't had a problem since. :hurray: Oh ya, mine locked while in traffic at about 20 mph. Now that was a ride.

Quick Reply: Column Lock??