C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Throw out/Transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Eman_Hardtop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Throw out/Transmission??

Ok I did some searching for a problem I am having and I sort of feel that this post is similar to the noise I am hearing. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=263049

But I am also having other problems as well. I have a 00 Hardtop with only 20K miles on it. The only drivetrain mod is a Hurst. I have been some what abusive to the tranny but not enough where I think it should be going out. I have zero clutch slip. I do have a problem getting into fourth sometimes and I notice that when my car is in neutral and the clutch is not engaged the fourth gear stop is not in place. So here are my problems in order.

1.) Rattling that sounds like a throw out bearing that seems to be getting worse.

2.) Occasional problems when shifting to fourth.

3.) No fourth gear stop when car is in neutral.

4.) Jerky or less than smooth shifting conditions.

Anyone know what I can look at to rule some things out?

Thanks,
Old 08-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Eman_Hardtop
Racer

Default Re: Clutch/Throw out/Transmission?? (Eman_Hardtop)

Does anyone know what problems I might be having? I am really worried something is seriously wrong.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Mark 84ltblu
Le Mans Master

SE Ohio Event Coordinator
CI-V Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Curise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Clutch/Throw out/Transmission?? (Eman_Hardtop)

The no 4th gear stop is puzzling. Some of the other problems are often cured by adding a synthetic transmission fluid to the MN6. I used Mobil 1 but there are several good ones out there. I noticed a rattling in mine that I thought was a throw out bearing but after driving several low mileage C5's I think it's a common noise.

[Modified by Mark 84ltblu, 2:48 PM 8/27/2003]
Old 08-27-2003, 03:12 PM
C5Cemo
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Clutch/Throw out/Transmission?? (Mark 84ltblu)

I would pull the Hurst out and inspect it and the shift shaft as well as inspect/replace the fluid. These two things are your only diagnose options without pulling the trans. out of the car.

Also, here is a link to the latest Tremec service manual for the T-56: http://www.ttcautomotive.com/english...-0610-0199.pdf. For some reason it won't open for me right now tho. Here's another link for the service manual if you can't get that one to load either: http://www.cemozone.com/shared/cemo/c5/servicet56.pdf.You might be able to use it to help diagnose these issues.

Best of luck
Old 08-27-2003, 05:42 PM
Eman_Hardtop
Racer

Default Re: Clutch/Throw out/Transmission?? (Mark 84ltblu)

You know I think probably changing the fluid would be a good idea since I do abuse it a little. I will try that.

And I will inspect the Hurst.

Thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch/Throw out/Transmission??

Quick Reply: Clutch/Throw out/Transmission??