C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission filter seal - how do I get the bloody thing off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:47 AM
C501
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission filter seal - how do I get the bloody thing off?

I decided to change my automatic transmission fluid & filter. In the kit, there is a small seal that is the size of a quarter that fits into the pump body where the filter plugs into. Mine is stuck in the pump body. I can't get the old one off to save my butt!

The service manual says to use pliers or a similar tool to gently remove the old one. I should have known that it would be harder than that when I saw the picture in the manual of them hammering in the new seal. That sucker is steel with a plastic sleeve on it and it is pressed in there.

Has anyone gotten theirs out? Do I need to buy some $100 tool to do it?

I guess on a positive note, the fluid was pretty clean and I didn't find anything at all in the pan. The guy that had it before me must have changed the fluid. Has 65k on it now. I'm welding a nut to the pan and putting a drain plug in. This was the easiest pan to get off. It was so full of fluid after draining from the fill plug, that it just fell off - no hammer required. The garage is a little messy though.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:13 AM
LivinTheDream
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Transmission filter seal - how do I get the bloody thing off? (C501)

I left mine in after looking at it carefully and having some experienced eyes double check. I feared gouging or scoring something yanking the old one out based on the manual, and there are lots of wires waiting to get sliced by accident. The filter went in fine (had to push pretty hard).

No problems after about 6 weeks and I work the car/tranny when I drive. You should be fine.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:13 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Transmission filter seal - how do I get the bloody thing off? (LivinTheDream)

I left mine in after looking at it carefully and having some experienced eyes double check. I feared gouging or scoring something yanking the old one out based on the manual, and there are lots of wires waiting to get sliced by accident. The filter went in fine (had to push pretty hard).
no problems after about 6 weeks and I work the car/tranny when I drive. You should be fine.
:iagree:
Old 12-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Default Re: Transmission filter seal - how do I get the bloody thing off? (C501)

I have also left my in once. Changed it the other times.

There is a pliers with "L" shaped ends. Maybe a $10 dollar tool at Post Tool and all.

It is a patient procedure.

From above; is it consenus that leaving it in once is OK?
Old 12-11-2003, 01:12 PM
C501
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Transmission filter seal - how do I get the bloody thing off? (Kenny94945)

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I've scratched mine up trying to get it out so I'm going to have to extract it.

I'll try some L-shaped pliers. I assume those are the L-shaped needle nose pliers.

Seems like the best thing would be some sort of T-shaped slide hammer like what they use for pulling dents.

There must be an official tool. :smash:
Old 12-12-2003, 08:37 AM
C501
Heel & Toe

I figured out how do do this with some help from a parts store - and it was pretty easy so I'll fill you in.

What you do is get a very small screwdriver and hammer it between the seal and the pump housing until you drive it to the top of the seal. Then you pry it out a little until you have a V shape. Then it's just a simple matter of pulling it out with needle nose pliers.

To get the new one in, just take a large socket w/ extension and pound it in.

:hurray:

BTW, if you decide to weld a nut into the pan, I'll just warn you that you need to watch where you're putting it. I had to cut 1/4" off my filter to get the pan back on. I didn't realize that the filter went all the way down into the lowest part of the pan. :cuss

I think having the drain plug is worth it so I went ahead with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission filter seal - how do I get the bloody thing off?

Quick Reply: Transmission filter seal - how do I get the bloody thing off?