C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes... C5 Vs. Z06 Calipers...Difference???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brakes... C5 Vs. Z06 Calipers...Difference???

Guys, my brakes are the next upgrade since I'm feeling some pulsing in the rotors, Might as well upgrade while I'm doing the brakes... WHAT if any difference is there in the Z06 caliper, other than the pretty red color?

Educate me... I'll be buying rotors and pads, maybe calipers too, depending on your replies... I will be doing track days and autocrosses in this car...
Mike
Old 12-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Default Re: Brakes... C5 Vs. Z06 Calipers...Difference??? (Mikelly)

Before replacing anything try using the brakes fairly hard for a while to build up some heat in them. I know it is hard to do in an urban or suburban environment but you just might get them to settle down. I have never experienced so called rotor warping problems on my C5s and I have used the brakes very hard.

Other than color there is no difference in the calipers. The Z06 pad seems to have a little more torque. It might be the equivalent of a Hawk HP+ pad. As for autocrossing the stock brakes are just fine. For track events you want to get some brake cooling and higher temp pads so the pads and rotors hold up for a few days. It also increases your bearing life.
Bill
Old 12-18-2003, 11:13 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Brakes... C5 Vs. Z06 Calipers...Difference??? (Bill Dearborn)

Z06 calipers are identical to yours except the color. Pad material is different between the two, but that is it.

Do a fluid flush when doing the brakes. Keeps the system happy and removes unwanted moisture and probably some contaminants.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:33 AM
yeagerda
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am curious as to your model year and mileage on these rotors? My '03 coupe with only 10k miles is starting to feel like the rotors are warped (see http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=710964). I guess I will have dealer inspect... maybe just deposits?
Old 12-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has 92K miles on it... I can feel grooves in the front and rear rotors, so I'm sure that is what I'm feeling...

I just won an auction on Ebay where the seller had 4 AC Delco rotors complete, new in packaging for $149... COUldn't pass it up. The seller also sold me a complete set of Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads for the car for $99.

I'll paint my calipers cast aluminum in color, buy some speed bleeders, good fluid and go through the system complete...

Mike :)
Old 12-22-2003, 04:39 PM
Stang Killer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a difference is the regular C5 calipers against the Z06 calipers. I thik the Z06 part is preasure cast, and the regular C5 caliper is gravity cast. By making the caliper presure cast the metal is more dense than the regular caliper. I forgot where I read that, but thats why when the F-body guys upgrade brakes, they use the Z06 caliper instead, and not just for cosmetic reasons.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:04 PM
jw38
Team Owner

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14,'18,'21

Default Re: Brakes... C5 Vs. Z06 Calipers...Difference??? (Stang Killer)

StangKiller: They are EXACTLY the same caliper with the exception of the power coat finish. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes... C5 Vs. Z06 Calipers...Difference???

Quick Reply: Brakes... C5 Vs. Z06 Calipers...Difference???