C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Check engine and 1416 code. What's up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 11:04 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Default HELP!!! Check engine and 1416 code. What's up?

I got this code about 100 miles ago "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2". I went ahead and cleared it then and it just came back tonight. Car runs perfectly. Anyone know what this is? How do I fix it? My car's not under warranty anymore, so I don't want to take it somewhere unless I really have to.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:05 AM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP!!! Check engine and 1416 code. What's up? (RichieRich)

ttt ^

Anyone out there with this issue before or someone with a service manual who can look it up?

PLEASE!!!!
Old 02-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Mr. Big
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

there is prob. a switch valve stuck. Since your only getting bank 2, bank one is working which mean the air pump is working. You'll probably have to replace something in there. It doens't hurt the car at all, this is for emission control only.

btw I'm sure you know, but just incase, these are the tubes that connect to the mainfolds on each side and pump air in on start up to make sure emissons are good, the shut off once the car warms up. (I think, i alway remove mine)

[Modified by Mr. Big, 5:34 AM 2/8/2004]

[Modified by Mr. Big, 5:36 AM 2/8/2004]
Old 02-08-2004, 12:38 AM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP!!! Check engine and 1416 code. What's up? (Mr. Big)

there is prob. a valve stuck open or shut. Since your only getting bank 2, bank one is working which mean the air pump is working. You'll probably have to replace something in there. It doens't hurt the car at all, this is for emission control only.

btw I'm sure you know, but just incase, these are the tubes that connect to the mainfolds on each side and pump air in on start up to make sure emissons are good, the shut off once the car warms up.

[Modified by Mr. Big, 5:34 AM 2/8/2004]
Actually, I didn't know that. So what would need to be replaced or tweaked? Just one of these things that connects to the manifolds?

Please clarify. And THANKS SO MUCH for your help. :cheers:

[Modified by RichieRich, 9:38 PM 2/7/2004]
Old 02-08-2004, 12:46 AM
gojo
Melting Slicks

http://www.allpar.com/dealers/warranty.html
If you have less than 50,000mi on the car, read this.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Mr. Big
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

you will probably have to replace the switching circuit, don't really know where it is, like i said, i alway remove the air system, it just gets in the way of everything. You can remove the air tube where it bolts to the mainfold when the car is cool, then start it up and see if air pumps out of the tube, if it doesn't you'll just have to find out what circuit when bad. If you do this you will have to replace the gasket in there, $1.50 Its not that big of a deal, it is just annoying looking at that light.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:34 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: HELP!!! Check engine and 1416 code. What's up? (Mr. Big)

i had the same code for like 8 months now it comes back everytime i clear it
its just the circuit on the pump u dont have to replace, my car passed smoke check without fixin it and yes I do live in CA :eek:
Old 02-08-2004, 02:22 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this code about 100 miles ago "P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2". I went ahead and cleared it then and it just came back tonight. Car runs perfectly. Anyone know what this is? How do I fix it? My car's not under warranty anymore, so I don't want to take it somewhere unless I really have to.

Thanks in advance.
Since this is an EPA item it still may be under warranty....
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
An AIR pump is used on this vehicle in order to lower the tail pipe emissions on start-up. The PCM supplies a ground to the AIR pump relay, which energizes the AIR pump.

The PCM monitors the HO2S voltages to diagnose the AIR system.

During the AIR test, the PCM activates the AIR pump during closed loop operation. When the AIR is activated, the PCM monitors the HO2S voltages and short term fuel trim values for both banks of the engine. If the AIR system is operating properly, the HO2S voltages should go low and the short term fuel trim should go high.

If the PCM determines that the HO2S voltages for both banks did not respond as expected during the tests, DTC P0410 sets. If only one sensor responded, the PCM sets either a DTC P1415 or P1416 to indicate on which bank the AIR system is inoperative.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0125, P0171-P0175, P0200, P0300, P0335, P0336, P0351 -P0358, P0440, P0442, P0443, P0446, P0449, P1120, P1220, P1221, P1258, P1441 and HO2S DTCs are not set.
The engine is running for greater than 2.0 seconds .
The maximum air flow is 25 g/s .
The Air Fuel ratio is 14.7:1
The engine load is less than 34 percent.
The ignition voltage is greater than 11.7 volts .
Engine is not operating in Power Enrichment, Decel Fuel Shut-off, or Catalyst Over-Temperature Modes.
The engine speed is greater than 750 RPM .
The ECT is greater than 80°C (176°F) but less than 110°C (230°F) .
The IAT is greater than -2°C (28.40F) .
The fuel system is operating in fuel trim cells 1, 2, 4, 5, or 6.
CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The HO2S voltage does not go below 222 mV for 1.3 seconds .
OR
The short term fuel trim does not change more than a predetermined value.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The PCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the PCM stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the PCM records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The PCM writes the conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

The PCM turns the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) OFF after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A last test failed (current DTC) clears when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A History DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if this or any other emission related diagnostic does not report any failures.
Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL/DTC.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

Remove any debris from the PCM/TAC module connector surfaces before servicing the PCM/TAC module. Inspect the PCM/TAC module connector gaskets when diagnosing/replacing the modules. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent contaminate intrusion into the PCM/TAC modules.
For any test that requires probing the PCM or a component harness connector, use the Connector Test Adapter Kit J 35616-A. Using this kit prevents damage to the harness/component terminals. Refer to Using Connector Test Adapters in Diagrams.
Carbon build up in the exhaust manifold may restrict the amount of air flow necessary to affect the HO2S voltage. If this is suspected, remove the air pipe from the manifold and inspect the passage.
For an intermittent condition, refer to Symptoms. See: Diagnostic Information and Procedures\Symptoms
TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

A check valve that flows in both directions causes heat damage to the AIR system components
Old 02-08-2004, 10:33 AM
99blackFRC
Burning Brakes

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=726416
Old 02-08-2004, 10:50 AM
dpd
Drifting

your problem is on the right side bank.the idea of secondary air is to help bring the catalytic converters up to operating temp[efficency].this is monitored by the rear o2 sensors.possibilities for the malfunction are-a]there
is a rubber hose junction and check valve behind the intake manifold on the left hand side,make sure the hose is connected and the valve is intact[if it wasn't,you should hear a leak].if the check valve is bad,the rubber junction hose will be stiff/brittle[burnt],if so,the valve is bad.from this valve there is a tube[metal]that goes along the back of the intake manifold around to the right side of the engine[bank 2] to another rubber hose and check valve[just like the others],check these like stated above,if the hose at the r/s check valve is brittle or gooey,the check valve is bad.short and sweet,the right rear 02 is not seeing the extra fresh air being pumped into the exhaust on the cold start.more than likely the right side manifold check valve is bad.if you pull the rubber hose off and see rust inside the hose,that's the tip off that the check valve went bad.hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:10 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: HELP!!! Check engine and 1416 code. What's up? (dpd)

your problem is on the right side bank.the idea of secondary air is to help bring the catalytic converters up to operating temp[efficency].this is monitored by the rear o2 sensors.possibilities for the malfunction are-a]there
is a rubber hose junction and check valve behind the intake manifold on the left hand side,make sure the hose is connected and the valve is intact[if it wasn't,you should hear a leak].if the check valve is bad,the rubber junction hose will be stiff/brittle[burnt],if so,the valve is bad.from this valve there is a tube[metal]that goes along the back of the intake manifold around to the right side of the engine[bank 2] to another rubber hose and check valve[just like the others],check these like stated above,if the hose at the r/s check valve is brittle or gooey,the check valve is bad.short and sweet,the right rear 02 is not seeing the extra fresh air being pumped into the exhaust on the cold start.more than likely the right side manifold check valve is bad.if you pull the rubber hose off and see rust inside the hose,that's the tip off that the check valve went bad.hope this helps.
ding ding ding, we have a winner :cheers: :p:

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!! Check engine and 1416 code. What's up?

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Check engine and 1416 code. What's up?