C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flycutting and welding heads-what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 11:49 AM
1badvr4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flycutting and welding heads-what is it?

i, like many other forum members, am very interested in doing a heads/cam swap after the great results at the tuner shootout in the h/c class. i have been reading that alot of the cars run these big cams which require "fly cutting" the pistons and welding the heads. i think flycutting is due to big cams and a relief must be made to avoid piston to valve contact, but im not sure. so, my questions are...

1. what exactly is it?(in respect to flycutting)
2. if you have to flycut a piston, im assuming you have to have your shortblock taken out? or can they cut a piston while in the car?
3. how streetable is a car with that setup?
4. what do they weld on a "welded head" car?

lastly, would jrod or brents setups be streetable for everyday driving? for all i know, they could be but again, im not sure. how reliable is a package like that for daily driving? i have seen quiet a few 10 sec h/c cars in sigs so we dont have to limit it to lg or cartek cars so anyone can chime in. thanks

Quick Reply: flycutting and welding heads-what is it?