C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Window making contact with convertible top...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 09:31 PM
SilverC5Vert
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Driver Window making contact with convertible top...

The driver side window on my vert makes contact with the top when the door shuts and I'm worried about it ripping the material on the top. Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it? Thanks!

-Rick
Old 03-22-2004, 03:12 PM
JeremyMSG
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Driver Window making contact with convertible top... (SaleenSpeedster)

:lurk:
Old 03-22-2004, 03:48 PM
rwlc5
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Driver Window making contact with convertible top... (jeremytsi)

I had a problem after they installed an updated rear seal on my 99. Both doors would overlap at the corner of the window. The dealer could not get it adjusted out. They sent it to an upholstery shop where they removed the top and the binding around the edge and trimmed the top and then replaced the binding.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Driver Window making contact with convertible top... (SaleenSpeedster)

I have the same problem on the driver's side. Had it fixed once at the dealer and it still does it. I bought a Window Valet and now I close teh door with the windows down and then roll them up with the fob.... :cheers:
Old 03-22-2004, 04:41 PM
batmann
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this something that is covered by the warranty....mine does it too.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Stu in CA
Pro

I just got in habit of hitting down buttons when I came to stop, used valet to lock and close window.

[Modified by Stu in CA, 12:36 PM 3/26/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Thunder7
Race Director

Default Re: Driver Window making contact with convertible top... (batmann)

Is this something that is covered by the warranty....mine does it too.
Yes, it is. I had mine fixed under warranty over a year ago. They actually gave me an entirely new top as mine was severely frayed at the corner. No rubs now....
Old 03-22-2004, 08:01 PM
SilverC5Vert
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Driver Window making contact with convertible top... (Thunder7)

I'm out of warranty, so I'll probably have to take it to an upholstrey shop and have it fixed. Thanks!

-Rick
Old 03-23-2004, 01:01 AM
stros
Instructor

I had both of my doors adjusted on my 98 vert. It fixed the problem for me at least. Luckily I had it fixed before major damage to the top had occurred.

- stros :cheers:
Old 03-25-2004, 04:50 PM
white top
Racer

Suggest you do a search on this problem. It has been posted many times
and some report that top adjustments have been sucessful. Worth a try.

Jerry
The driver side window on my vert makes contact with the top when the door shuts and I'm worried about it ripping the material on the top. Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it? Thanks!

-Rick
Old 03-25-2004, 06:35 PM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Driver Window making contact with convertible top... (white top)

I got tired of the dealer adjusting my window and trying to stretch my top - here what is did. I got myself a piece of rubber insulation (the kind of stuff you use for weatherstripping doors approx. 1/4 inch thick by half in. wide. I hot glued it between the seal and the outer edge of the convertible top right at the corner where the window hits. This pushes the convertible top edge away from the frame and rubber seal. Window closes great.
The following users liked this post:
SUNYNKA (02-04-2024)
Old 03-25-2004, 07:37 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Driver Window making contact with convertible top... (99 vett babycar)

Go to this link:
http://www.vetteguru.com/top/

and look at section "Side Rail-Top of Door Window Contacting Top Fabric".

Here is a picture of the adjustment area:

and here's part of what it says:

"To eliminate the top center of the window from hooking under the roof material adjust the knurled nut between the front and center side rails to increase the amount of bow (arc) in the side of the top."

If you feel uncomfortable doing this yourself (like I do), take it to someone who knows something about convertible tops, with the printout of the link above (like a body shop or upholstery shop).

Hope this helps. :smash:
The following users liked this post:
SUNYNKA (02-04-2024)
Old 03-25-2004, 08:10 PM
fmpros
Racer

Default Re: Driver Window making contact with convertible top... (EHS)

________________________________________ _____________________
If you feel uncomfortable doing this yourself (like I do), take it to someone who knows something about convertible tops, with the printout of the link above (like a body shop or upholstery shop).
________________________________________ _____________________

It's real easy. Crack the top like in the picture above. There's a screw in the joint. Back it out a little. The top stretches a tad and lifts the upper right corner of the softtop up and out a bit. The window then misses it on closing the door. Repeat till it works right.
:thumbs:
Old 03-25-2004, 09:48 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Driver Window making contact with convertible top... (fmpros)

that knurled screw on the top is only going to help a very little bit. Id be willing to bet that your window needs to come down and forward a tad like mine did. Mine hit a bit but i adjusted the top screw as stated above and it clearanced the two by a hair but I wasnt satisfied. i went to look at the passenger side door which closed great and have absolutely no clearance issue (had like 3mm clearance and still sealed perfectly). it turned out my driver side window was too far back and up causing this. I adjusted it just like the passenger window and both close perfectly w/ a nice safety margin between the window and the top at the corner there. In fact, im bored so i'll go take a few pics of how it should look. The door closes so much nicer with the top up now that the windows is adjusted. The door panel comes off VERY easy to make these adjustments yourself too.

Dave
Old 03-25-2004, 10:01 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Driver Window making contact with convertible top... (TT_Vert)

this is what the window should look like w/ the door just hitting the striker but not engaging the first latch. Notice the even gap all the way around the window and not even close to the top:

this is the view from the back w/ the door open in same position as above. Take note of the tip in angle.

[Modified by TT_Vert, 9:23 PM 3/25/2004]
Old 08-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Redgts1982
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

my 1999 I just bought does this too, what is this window valet? that sounds like a much easier solution than taking the top off and have it trimmed and re-binded

-Chris
Old 08-09-2016, 07:31 AM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

This thread is 12 years old. You would have better luck with a response if you start your own new thread.

There are several other threads that show how to adjust the window. I've also seen a YouTube video on the subject. I'd try searching for them using Google - it works much better.

There are adjustments in the door under the red reflector as well as under the very bottom. Bigger adjustments can be made by taking the door cover off and resetting the window.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Window making contact with convertible top...

Quick Reply: Driver Window making contact with convertible top...