C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal vibration! What's up with that???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:00 PM
zguy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch pedal vibration! What's up with that???

All,

My clutch pedal is vibrating when I go to engage it. It tends to vibrate even more when RPMs are higher than idle. My 99 has 12,000 easy miles on it and I swear I would have noticed it before. I know there was always was slight difference in feel with the pedal engaged versus disengaged. Now I can really feel vibration in the pedal.

I can't help but think that I caused this problem when I let the girlfriend TRY to drive the car a few weekends ago. She has always been hinting to drive the car but couldn't since it was not an auto. :D So I was feeling pretty generous and figured I would try to teach her. Afterall how hard could it be, right? Wrong! :mad She was able to get it to roll away with no problems her first try. Second try was a different story. She let the clutch out slowly with no gas and that's when she ran into problems. The car was at a point were it was lugging back and forth but it would not stall. It was at to low of an idle to go. It felt like a roller coaster ride, jerking back and forth. All she had to do was engage the clutch but never did so. I had instructed her to push the clutch in if she ran into any kind of problem. She panicked and never remembered to do so. The car eventually stalled and the jerking motion came to a halt. I was :cry inside...

I have had many cars with a manual transmission and never felt a vibration in the pedal. I beat the hell out of those cars and never had a problem.

Any ideas???

[Modified by zguy, 4:23 PM 5/7/2004]
Old 05-07-2004, 11:26 AM
zguy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Clutch pedal vibration! What's up with that??? (zguy)

Come on guys! Anyone ever experience this problem?
Old 05-07-2004, 12:21 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Clutch pedal vibration! What's up with that??? (zguy)

I don't think your girlfriend caused it. I have read that GM is working on the sticking clutch issue, and that the root cause was a runout issue with the installed system cycling the slave. From your description, you may have this issue with your car. In other words, the slave is oscillating slightly due to the clutch assembly.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal vibration! What's up with that???

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal vibration! What's up with that???