C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:49 AM
aggie03
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable?

Anyone who drives another car besides their C5 everyday has probably noticed how the gas pedal on C5s are really hard to push relative to other cars, plus you gotta lean on it pretty hard before it will really start to move. I've got a A4 and was wondering if there is anyway to make the gas pedal feel "lighter". I'm tired of my right leg getting a full work-out on hour long drives. Can the pedeals tension be changed, or am I going to have to just live with it? Any help is appreciated.....
Old 05-17-2004, 09:16 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable? (aggie03)

get lead shoes
Old 05-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you serious? The C5's gas pedal is the lightest pedal of any car I've ever driven. There's not even a linkage attached to it. My Camaro's gas pedal is a million times harder to push, but is by no means difficult. Is your gas pedal jammed or something? Maybe the hinge is busted?

The only thing that provides tension on the gas pedal is a spring that's behind it. If you don't actually have a problem, replace the spring with a lighter one?

Personally I've been looking into putting a heavier spring on mine. The gas is so light that it's touchy for me.

Dope
Old 05-17-2004, 10:42 AM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Re: Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable? (Dope)

________________________________________ ________________________
The only thing that provides tension on the gas pedal is a spring that's behind it. If you don't actually have a problem, replace the spring with a lighter one?
Personally I've been looking into putting a heavier spring on mine. The gas is so light that it's touchy for me.
Dope[/QUOTE]
I replaced the spring behind the gas pedal with a heavier one. My ankle was killing me tring to keep pressure "off" the pedal. I went to a Hardware Store and bought a heavier spring and cut it down to size. Much...Much....better
Old 05-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Droberts
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who drives another car besides their C5 everyday has probably noticed how the gas pedal on C5s are really hard to push relative to other cars,
Yes, mine is much stiffer than my 89 GTA. I have looked for a way to make it lighter and it seems that the only way is to remove or replace springs in the accelerator pedal bracket. I could not find any directions about how to do that. Does anyone know how to get the current springs out and where to get weaker replacements?

Thanks
Dennis
Old 05-17-2004, 11:53 AM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable? (Droberts)

If you want a stiff gas pedal, go drive a 90-93 Chevy suburban or pickup. Those suckers are stiff.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable? (6SPD98)

Dope
I replaced the spring behind the gas pedal with a heavier one. My ankle was killing me tring to keep pressure "off" the pedal. I went to a Hardware Store and bought a heavier spring and cut it down to size. Much...Much....better
Yeah, exactly. I'll be cruising on the highway and I will be slowly gaining speed because the weight of my foot is actually pushing the gas pedal slightly. Very annoying (and dangerous to my driving record). One of these days I'm gonna add a spring or put a heavier spring on there. It's so touchy that driving in a bumpy parking lot can be a pain sometimes. The bumps cause my foot to move slightly, which causes the gas to depress slightly, making for a jerky ride. Maybe I just have heavy feet? ;)

I wonder if different years had different gas pedal springs? My gas pedal is like playing a video game, it really is. I have a set of pedals + wheel for my computer and the gas pedal has similar effort (ie: no effort).

Dope

Dope
Old 05-17-2004, 01:34 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable? ( )

guess your car is not a m6 then.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Droberts
Instructor

Dope, I wish I could trade you the accelerator pedal bracket in my 99 A4 for yours, LOL. It is so stiff that my right shin gets fatigued after a few minutes. Also, the stiff pedal makes it hard to get the amount of part throttle that I want. I think there must be different springs that were used.

Aggie, please let me know if you find out anything about loosening it up.

Anyone know how to change the springs:confused:

Dennis
Old 05-17-2004, 08:58 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Re: Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable? (Droberts)

Aggie, please let me know if you find out anything about loosening it up.

Anyone know how to change the springs:confused:
I believe I used a screw driver to pry the spring loose. I went to an "Ace" hardware store. It was an old style store that carried a little bit of everything. They had a great assortment of springs. I found a heavier one, I just had to cut it down to size.
My car as you can tell from my signeture is a 98 six speed. My pedal was very, very light. It was the lightest gas pedal I ever came across.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll trade one of you A4 guys :)

Hmph, wonder why on earth the A4 would be heavier. That's wacked.

Dope
Old 05-18-2004, 09:27 AM
aggie03
Instructor

Default Re: Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable? (Dope)

Droberts, mine is also a 1999 A4 so I'm wondering if the hard pedal is exclusive to that year and automatics. The forum seems divided on whether their pedal is hard to push or not. I'm telling you, mine is not stuck but it is hard as hell to push, and on long hwy driving when you let off the gas a little and then want to resume your original speed it takes more force than any other car I have ever owned. I should mention I'm only 23 and my right leg actually feels worn down after my hour commute to and from work every day. I'm going to look behind the pedal and see if I can remove the spring or replace it with a lighter one.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Droberts
Instructor

Aggie, the gas pedal is attached to a bracket that has the springs inside of it. You must take the bracket out and try to remove the springs. Send me an email and I can send you a pic from the Service Manual CD.

Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable?

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal tension - is it adjustable?