C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 01:40 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP

I have a 99 coupe i jsut got. Car is mint with one exception. The passenger power seat is not working. Here is what i know:

1) If you pull up on the switch next to the seat you hear a clicking noise each time. No other direction causes any noise. Seat i believe in the the fully "up" position

2) I pulled the seat out of the car and all connections are secure and with no damage whatsoever

3) I pulled the rubber shield you see when you open the door. All that is behind it is a bunch f wires in a pink sleeve. No connectors there. I don't think they have anything to do with the seat anyway.

4) Check Circuit breakers in fuse box in passenger foot well. Considering the drivers side works fine i just swapped them. Made no difference drivers still worked passenger didn't.

5) Pulled fuse 3 (Lumbar) it is fine.

I am at my wits end. I do not care to spend what i am sure to be hundreds to fix this when it "should" be simple.

Any one have any suggestions. One thing i cannot figure out how to do is remove the switch from the side of the seat. I pulled the two phillips screws (one in the front of the seat and one you find when you pull the seat lever back. The does not relase the switch bezel. If it is simply a switch that would be good.

I also checked the "control box" hung up under the seat. All connections are secure. I am pretty sure the click i hear when i pull up on the switch is inside this box.

The C4 forum was always real helpful in fixing any and all issues i had with my C4. Hoping for the same here in C5. If you have ANY ideas please help. This is driving me nuts. The seat is stuck in the up and forward position. If you are over 5'8" you aren't fitting in my passenger seat comfortably. Meanwhile at the same time you could practically lay down in my driver seat.

PLEASE HELP>

Thanks,
Robert
Old 07-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Yibbutkeen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP (robertpel9)

A couple of thoughts:

1. Broken/dirty switch on the seat

2. Inadequate current to motors.

You will really need a wiring diagram. It the seat motors are ok, then I think you have a power supply problem. You might also check the voltage to the seat connector since you said you had the seat out. Again probably need the wiring diagram.

Good luck
Old 07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP (Yibbutkeen)

I am thinking it is the switch on the seat because it makes a click in the up position but not any others. You would think if it was anything else it would at least make a click down as well. Maybe i have no clue. In fact i don't LOL.

I can fix most anything mechanical with the car but electrically i know nothing. Any other thoughts here. I really don't wanna get bent over at the dealer.

Bob
Old 07-01-2004, 05:43 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP (robertpel9)

Probably a bad switch... You are 90% there with the switch removal having removed the two hidden screws. You now need to remove the tilt handle. This has a clip like an old style door handle on the back side... Release the clip and the handle slides off on some splines. Then the bezel and switch will come off. Remove the switch from the bezel and replace it with a new one... Hope this helps, good luck.
Shirl
The following users liked this post:
ckreider33 (04-09-2024)
Old 07-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP (MrEracer)

The passengers and drivers switches should be able to be swapped for testing purposes. It is most likley the switch.

If that does not fix the problem, I will dig into the service manual and provide you some DEEEEEPER help!

To remove the small spring clip on the seat back lever, I bend a metal coat hanger into a tight hook, push the seat material back to gain access to the back of the lever and remove it by pulling it up and off. To reinstall it, slide the clip back into the clip grove and the lever just snaps back on to the stem.

BC
Old 07-01-2004, 09:21 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP (Bill Curlee)

What a waste of time tonight!!!!!!

I pulled the passenger seat up and out as it is the only way i can get a decent angle on the switch screws. I pulled the switch out. Took me forever as i was afraid of breaking the clips. When i got right down to the circuit board with the switches on it i could see that moving one of them up is the only thing that made any noise and again it was just this click. None of the other switches on the board did anything.

Now the board MUST be getting power or that "up" switch would not trigger the noise right??

I did not have the paience to pull the drivers side switch but that is a good idea i guess in that way i can rule out the switch.

If that is not it then what. Is that box under the seat the next step?

What do you all think based on these symptoms. I shudder at pulling all of this apart again. Any way to pull the switch without lossening the seat. I can seem to get the right angle on the screws otherwise. Re torquing the back bols on the seat is a major PITA.

If it is the switch AND (and that a big AND) i can remove the switches without having to move the seat perhaps i can just move the passenger seat to where i want and then put the good switch back on the drivers side no?? I just can't get to the screws without listing the seat and then there is no way to torquw the back bolts back down wth the seat in the fully back position.

What makes it likely it is the switch???? It looked mint and one of the things makes a click. Why the switch and not this box under the seat.

I am missing the manual passenger seat in my C4 LOL
Old 07-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Robert

Give me a little while and I will dig into the shop manual and make some logical electrical troubleshooting recommendations. Do you have or can you get your hands on a volt meter??? I will need you to take readings.
It will be 11:30 PM before I can work on this. Please bare with me.

Bill
Old 07-01-2004, 10:31 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP (Bill Curlee)

Thanks for any help you can provide. Unfortunately i do not have a voltmeter sounds like its time to buy one and learn how they work. I am a rookie when it comes to electronics.

Nice to see the C5 section is gonna be helpful like the C4 section was. Cool!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Do you have any DTC's that show up when you bring up the Drivers Information Console?
Old 07-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The following fuses control the seat functions:

1. Circuit breaker # 35
2. Circuit breaker # 36
3. mini fuse # 4
4. mini fuse # 3
They are located in the Instrument Panel fuse center.

Fuse # 3 & 4 provide the relay control power to operate the relays that control the motors.
Breakers #35 & 36 supply the drive power for the motors .

The big box under the seat is the relay center. The seat adjuster switch goes to that relay center. If you disconnect the seat adjuster switch and jumper pin 7 to the following pins, you will be able to make the seat do all of the functions that it is suppose to.

The following is used for the Left Hand seat

Pin #7 to 24 = Rear Down
Pin #7 to 3 = rear up
Pin #7 to 26 = front down
Pin #7 to 1 = front up
Pin #7 to 13 = reverse
Pin #7 to 14 = forward

If you jumper these pins and nothing happens, you may have a fuse or breaker problem or the relay box is defective.

If all else fails and you want to get the seat to a position that will alow you to drive the car, do the following.

Use a battery charger and apply 12 V DC to the following pins on the motor module.

Pins A & B Horizontal motor
Pins C & D Front Verticle motor
Pins E & F Rear verticle Motor
Reverse the polarity of the leads to reverse the motor direction!

Examine this and let me know what you think.

BC
Old 07-02-2004, 07:15 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

thanks for all this info i have 2 really dumb questions:

1) this is the passenger seat are these #'s th esame. I have checked all of the fuses already so i want to jump these as you state.

2) I am a complete electrical novice. What does jump mean and how do i do it. All i really wanna do is move the seat down and back. Can you provide a step by step. How do i jump something

thanks so much
Old 07-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Yibbutkeen
Pro

Jumping or shorting means connecting a piece of wire between the two pins/tabs that are listed. You could probably even get away w/ using a paper clip if you dont have any proper wire handy.

ie to move the seat back, connect a piece of wire between pin 7 and pin 13 according to the table 2 posts up.

Good luck

Old 07-02-2004, 11:39 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP (Yibbutkeen)

Ok sounds good. Here ar just two quick questions

1) how do i know which pin is number 7, 24 etc??

2) Assuming i am going to be able to move the seat to a decent position how in the heck to i bolt it back down when you cant even get a wrench in there??

Any advice is helpful. I am taking a trip shortly and would like to have my passenger comfortable and not swuished.

Thanks fso far for all the help
Old 07-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Yibbutkeen
Pro

Pins are usually numbered - I haven't seen the corvette seat fixture, but I would think if you look VERY closely, you should see numbers molded in the connector - a flashlight may be very helpful, possibly a magnifying glass as well.

Otherwise you'll need a manual or some kind of labeled photo. Your local dealer may or may not be of some help.

The object here is to find out if the seat switch has gone bad - if it has then replacing it should fix the problem, and you can reinstall the seat and then adjust it.

Hope that helps
Old 07-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Robert

When I get home tonight I will take care of you. I will do a digital photo of the service manual. There is a page with all of the plug configurations and details how the pins are numbered on the plugs/connectors involved.

I am not sure how GM references left and right in the interior. I'm assuming that the LEFT seat is the drivers. If I am wrong I will have to also prvide you the other seat switch wireing configuration.
When all is said and done, all you need to do is disconnect the plug from the seat switch and use a paper clip that has been opened up all the way, bend it into a "U" configuration and put the ends on the pins that are in the connector that you disconnected from the switch. This will provide positive 12 Volts DC go to the motor that makes the seat move in the direction you need it to move. 12 volts DC will not shock you but you need to make sure that you do not short the 12 volts to any grounds ( negative 12 volts).
I am at work right now and may have to do a little OVERTIME. When I get home I will post again. Look for a Instant Message from me requesting your e-mail and I will give you my phone ### so we can discuss this over the phone if we need to. I can send you faxes and scanned schematics also if necessary.
When we get done you will be an ACE at this stuff!!! It's all going to work out.

Bill
Old 07-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

PASSENGERS POWER SEAT,,,DUH!!!! I'm sorry,,, for some dumb reason I thought you were having problems with the drivers seat!

Its been a long week!!!

So now I will give you some details on the correct plug and motor pins!!

The following is used for the Right Hand seat
Pin #7 is ground!
Pin #7 to 24 = rear up!
Pin #7 to 3 = rear down!
Pin #7 to 26 = front up!
Pin #7 to 1 = front down!
Pin #7 to 13 = reverse
Pin #7 to 14 = forward

Recommendation. To gain proper access to the front and rear seat nuts, it makes it a snap if you use a socket, long 12" extension and a ratchet to remove the nuts.

Once the nuts are removed the seat can be tilted inboard and you can gain access to the main power plug. Disconnect it and pull the seat out and set it up on the work bench. BECAREFUL and do not let the seat tracks scratch anything. It is better if you have someone help you guide the seat out.

Remove the two screws that hold the plastic side panel on and use the coat hanger tool that you made to pull the small wire clip off the inside of the seat back release handle. Once that is off the panel will come off. Remove the wiring harness from the plastic panel and the switch. If you put the seat back in (don't bolt it in place) and connect it back up to the seat power plug, leave the switch wiring harness out so that you can get to it.

Here comes the EASY part! Pin #7 is GROUND! Get some wire or a paper clip, stick one end in #7 and touch the pins listed. .
Here is the way that the wiring harness for the plug is configured:

Make sure that the ignition key is on the RUN position.

Hold the plug in your hand so that the FLAT portion of the plug (bottom) is facing DOWN! Looking at the pins, pin #1 will be in the right hand side on the TOP row. Count over and there should be 13 pins. Pin 13 will be on the top left side of the plug.
Bottom row, pin #14 will be on the bottom right hand side and pin 26 will be on the bottom left side.
Just for reference, and to give you a warm fuzzy, pin:
#7 will be attached to a gray/black wire
pin #1 = dark green
pin #3 = light blue
pin # 24 = yellow
pin # 26 = dark blue
pin # 13 = brown
pin # 14 = Gray

IF every thing else is working and the "SWITCH" is bad, grounding the terminals listed above should bove the seat!

The other pins are for the lumbar, and pneumatic controls, and ease entry functions. DO NOT ground those!

If the seat does not move, that means that the switch is NOT bad and the problem lies else where. This procedure allows you to prove the switch good or bad and if it was bad you can move the seat!

PLEASE let me know how you make out! I have other things that we can do to keep on troubleshooting!

Bill

[Modified by Bill Curlee, 7:38 PM 7/2/2004]

[Modified by Bill Curlee, 7:49 PM 7/2/2004]

[Modified by Bill Curlee, 7:52 PM 7/2/2004]
Old 07-03-2004, 12:05 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

awesome, i am in NY right now but will be trying this tomorrow. Update to follow. Thanks a lot for the help. i'll let ya know
Old 07-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Man,,,,,, I love it when this S%*# comes together!! I hope that all it is is a bad switch!!

Get notified of new replies

To Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP

Quick Reply: Power seat not operating, stuck in BAD position PLEASE HELP