C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way Too HIgh Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Trainman-2
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Way Too HIgh Oil Pressure

I had the oil changed in my 98 Vette at the local oil change place I have been using for years. When they were done and I started the engine, the oil pressure gauge went all of the way up and the computer said 128 psi. They tried two new oil filters with no change. I called my dealer where I bought the car and they said drive it on over (only six blocks) and they have been looking at if for a day and a half. They told me yesterday that they would have to take the engine half way apart to get to a spot where they could get a mechanical reading on the pressure.Has anyone ever had this problem? HELP!
Old 07-10-2004, 08:39 AM
LivinTheDream
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds like the sender, nothing else. It's possible it decided to go belly at the time your oil was changed. Has the dealer told you they tested/replaced the sender and still no change? Search the forum for this topic, you'll find a lot.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:45 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

......They told me yesterday that they would have to take the engine half way apart to get to a spot where they could get a mechanical reading on the pressure.Has anyone ever had this problem? HELP!

Basically, the mechanic makes a direct reading of oil pressure by removing your oil filter and taking an oil pressure reading from that point. It doesn't seem, to me, like taking "half the engine apart".

You might want to obtain access to the GM Service Manual for your car. The oil pressure testing procedure is in Section 6 (Engine).
-------
Testing oil pressure directly requires removing the oil filter and installing special tool J 42907. (J 42907 is described as an oil pressure testing tool, but it looks like a very short oil filter with an attachment point for a direct reading oil pressure guage. )

A pressure gauge and hose assembly, special tool J21867 (or equivalent) is then attached to the J 42907 special tool.

Run the engine and measure the oil pressure.
--------

If the problem is the oil pressure sensor/switch then the mechanic will have to remove the intake manifold, and then remove and replace the oil pressure sensor.

Last edited by mapman; 07-10-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

That dealer see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in your problem! It is most likley the sensor (common failure) and it needs to be replaced. I have never had to do it but from what I hear it is in a hard place to get to. It is behind the intake manifold at the rear of the engine.
There should be someone on the forum that should chime in who has changed his own oil pressure sender.

This is not a complex problem and does not require any special talent to over come. It just difficult to get to.

I would not worry about driving it but I would get it changed soon!

The dealer should have been all over that problem and it only should have taken them a few minutes to diaginsois!
I would fix it myself or find a more compenent Service Center!

Good luck.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 07-10-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:08 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

In the tool bar, at the top of the page, is an "Other" link. One of those links is to "Tech Tips". One of the "C5" section's Tech Tips is the replacement of the oil pressure sensor.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=246&TopicID=1
Old 07-10-2004, 09:29 AM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep they have a few ways of checking Oil pressure.. 1 remove the filter and install an adapter and gauge.. and 2 remove the intake install a gauge at the port for the sender (this checks actuall mechanical oil pressure at the same spot the sender is.) so that is most accurate.. and that requires removing the upper intake to hook up the gauge at that location..

most likely it's the sender.. you could guess and be wrong and then have to go back and diagnose the problem (I mean it could be an issue with the gauge in the dash too or something along those lines) or save time throw a sender in it and hopefully that is the problem... but

most common it's the sender.. as everyone has pretty much stated.. they fail most often and peg the gauge..

-Rick
Old 07-10-2004, 09:48 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by VetteTech81
Yep they have a few ways of checking Oil pressure.. 1 remove the filter and install an adapter and gauge.. and 2 remove the intake install a gauge at the port for the sender (this checks actuall mechanical oil pressure at the same spot the sender is.) so that is most accurate.. and that requires removing the upper intake to hook up the gauge at that location..

And removing the intake should take no more than 30 minutes
Old 07-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by vegoru
I had the oil changed in my 98 Vette at the local oil change place I have been using for years. When they were done and I started the engine, the oil pressure gauge went all of the way up and the computer said 128 psi. They tried two new oil filters with no change. I called my dealer where I bought the car and they said drive it on over (only six blocks) and they have been looking at if for a day and a half. They told me yesterday that they would have to take the engine half way apart to get to a spot where they could get a mechanical reading on the pressure.Has anyone ever had this problem? HELP!
"Take half the engine apart"
aka bend over so we can give it to you royaly. If your dealer doesnt know what this problem is.. ( and I know he does ) they have some serius issues...
This is the reason I dont take my car to the dealer..... they look for any excuse to either fuxxxxxxxx you over or fuxx your car over... its the oil sender..what car shows oil pressure with just the key on and the engine not running.. the dealer will charge as much as 400 dollars for this fix... the shop time for this job is 1.3 hrs. the part is 35 dollars.. a fair shop price will be around 150 to 175 dollars.. parts labor tax.. and shop supplies..Ive seen more than on person post prices upwards of 300 to 400 dollars.. Ive done two of these... the first one took me an hour and 15 minutes complete... the scond one I did, took me 45 minutes complete.
Dealer !!!!!!!! the bastages... Even GMPP is now saying you can take your car anywhere to get it fixed... Looks like GM is getting the message most of their dealers suck... Not All.... we have some good dealers here... but out of 2000 national dealers.. maybe 150 dealers are sevice credible... I did a survey here for a month on trying to find someone who had an excellent experience with a dealer.. I think there was over 100 negative replies..and two guys siad they had there oil changed without issue... Nice huh ???Am I ranting agasin????? fuxxxxxxxxing "A"
The following users liked this post:
streamliner (07-27-2021)
Old 07-10-2004, 02:42 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
"Take half the engine apart"
aka bend over so we can give it to you royaly. If your dealer doesnt know what this problem is.. ( and I know he does ) they have some serius issues...
This is the reason I dont take my car to the dealer..... they look for any excuse to either fuxxxxxxxx you over or fuxx your car over... its the oil sender..what car shows oil pressure with just the key on and the engine not running.. the dealer will charge as much as 400 dollars for this fix... the shop time for this job is 1.3 hrs. the part is 35 dollars.. a fair shop price will be around 150 to 175 dollars.. parts labor tax.. and shop supplies..Ive seen more than on person post prices upwards of 300 to 400 dollars.. Ive done two of these... the first one took me an hour and 15 minutes complete... the scond one I did, took me 45 minutes complete.
Dealer !!!!!!!! the bastages... Even GMPP is now saying you can take your car anywhere to get it fixed... Looks like GM is getting the message most of their dealers suck... Not All.... we have some good dealers here... but out of 2000 national dealers.. maybe 150 dealers are sevice credible... I did a survey here for a month on trying to find someone who had an excellent experience with a dealer.. I think there was over 100 negative replies..and two guys said they had there oil changed without issue... Nice huh ???Am I ranting agasin????? fuxxxxxxxxing "A"
Oh, come on! Tell us how you really feel.

I agree, Every one should have access to a GM Service Manual specific to your year car. Even if you are not going to do the work yourself, you can see what the mechanic is supposed to do and you make an informed estimate of cost.
The following users liked this post:
streamliner (07-27-2021)
Old 07-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Q8Y
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, my oil pressure in the DIC is 888 PSI. the dealer said the intake mainfold gasket and the sensor must be changed !!!!
Old 07-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Q8Y
I have the same problem, my oil pressure in the DIC is 888 PSI. the dealer said the intake mainfold gasket and the sensor must be changed !!!!
wrong
Old 07-11-2004, 05:35 AM
06C6FVR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the problem, it is the pressure sensor. It shouldnt be more than about 3 hours labor plus parts. Mine was covered under ext. warranty. They do have to pull the intake manifold to get to it. You can do it yourself, but is a little bit of a PITA. Good luck

Daren
Old 07-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Darens99Coupe
I had the problem, it is the pressure sensor. It shouldnt be more than about 3 hours labor plus parts. Mine was covered under ext. warranty. They do have to pull the intake manifold to get to it. You can do it yourself, but is a little bit of a PITA. Good luck

Daren
3 hours labor... ??????? GM shop time is 1.3 hours not 3 hours... many guys have done this job in under an hour... the last one I did took me 45 minutes start to finish with a test drive...
Old 07-11-2004, 04:25 PM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem....replaced the pressure sender...problem solved.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:05 PM
jsdanehy
Drifting

Cruise-In V Veteran

I love this Forum. Keeps you informed
Old 07-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Trainman-2
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

And Today My Dealer Said
- My extended warrenty expired on June 30th
- They need to change the intake gasket
- It is going to cost me "about" $400
- I might not get the car back until Wednesday (I left it there last Thursday) because they had to order an intake gasket

Can anyone post the service manual portion on changing the oil pressure sender? Does it include anything that says they do not have to change the intake gasket?

I wish I had joined this forum long ago when I bought my Vette. [/B]YOU GUYS ARE GREAT![B] Thanks for all of the help! I have been reading all of the teck stuff (can't drive can I?) and had every question I have ever had answered. I now know how to install sound deadening in my next Vette!
Old 07-12-2004, 07:55 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

[Quote] ....Can anyone post the service manual portion on changing the oil pressure sender? Does it include anything that says they do not have to change the intake gasket? ...[Quote]

The information was in my earlier post. Click on the link below. The link is from C5 Tech Tips in the "Other" link at the top of this page. Yes the manual says to replace the intake manifold gasket. You might want to obtain a copy of the GM Service Manual for your particular year.

Originally Posted by mapman
In the tool bar, at the top of the page, is an "Other" link. One of those links is to "Tech Tips". One of the "C5" section's Tech Tips is the replacement of the oil pressure sensor.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=246&TopicID=1

Last edited by mapman; 07-12-2004 at 08:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Way Too HIgh Oil Pressure

Old 07-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Trainman-2
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Mapman,

What I am looking for is a copy of the GM manual that I can wave in my dealer's face and say "See - your own manual says you don't have to change the intake gaskets"
Old 07-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Q8Y
Instructor

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8Y

wrong
What is wrong??

And Today My Dealer Said
- My extended warrenty expired on June 30th
- They need to change the intake gasket
- It is going to cost me "about" $400
- I might not get the car back until Wednesday (I left it there last Thursday) because they had to order an intake gasket

Can anyone post the service manual portion on changing the oil pressure sender? Does it include anything that says they do not have to change the intake gasket?

I wish I had joined this forum long ago when I bought my Vette. [/B]YOU GUYS ARE GREAT![B] Thanks for all of the help! I have been reading all of the teck stuff (can't drive can I?) and had every question I have ever had answered. I now know how to install sound deadening in my next Vette!
that's what the dealer in Kuwait told me.. do you have to replace the sensor?

c ya
Ahmed
Old 07-13-2004, 11:48 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Thanks Mapman,

What I am looking for is a copy of the GM manual that I can wave in my dealer's face and say "See - your own manual says you don't have to change the intake gaskets"

The manual says you DO have to change intake gaskets.

This is from the 2003 Service Manual page 6-83.

Under Removal of Intake Manifold
step 36. Remove the intake manifold gaskets. Discard the old gaskets.

later

Under Installation Procedure (first item)
IMPORTANT: DO NOT reuse the intake manifold gaskets. Install NEW intake manifold gaskets.

(The emphasis words are GM's)

Last edited by mapman; 07-13-2004 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Way Too HIgh Oil Pressure