C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with weird headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Schwa72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help needed with weird headlight problem

My 2001 just went out of warranty, so naturally now the gremlins start. See what you think of this:

When I try to turn only my parking lights on (move the stalk from "Off" to "Parking Lights"), my headlights pop up but don't turn on. They used to stay down when I did this...presumably so you could turn on the foglights/taillights without raising the headlights. I know the headlights are supposed stay up-and-off when you go the other way...from "Headlights" to "Parking Lights" on the stalk. However, no matter what I do, I can't get the foglights to come on without the headlights popping up. What in the world could be causing this? Has anyone heard of such a thing? Could it have something to do with one of my headlight motors going bad (grinds like crazy when I lower the lights)?

Good thing I bought the extended warranty...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 PM
mowrey96
Racer

I beleive that the fog lights cannot work if the headlights are not on. I have no idea why they go up when turning on jus the parking light...
Old 12-16-2004, 11:29 PM
danielschulzjr
Instructor

headlights and fog lights do work independently of each other. Fog lights also will flash to pass if with the bright light switch
Old 12-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Schwa72
Pro

I beleive that the fog lights cannot work if the headlights are not on. I have no idea why they go up when turning on jus the parking light...
Coincidentally enough, as I was driving home from work today, another C5 pulled up beside me with his foglights on and his highlights off and retracted. So I know it can work, and I know mine used to, I just don't know why it quit! My flash-to-pass function still works properly though.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:09 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Foglamps will operate with either the park lamps or the low beam headlamps turned on. The fog lamp switch sends a B+ signal to the BCM, and the BCM then grounds the fog lamp relay turning the fog lamps on, if the park lamps or low beams are on. If you switch to high beams, the fog lamps go off.
There could be a few problems, the switch, or wiring.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:11 PM
creighton
Burning Brakes

Sounds like the stalk or combination switch may have a short inside. This might be causing the headlight motor relay to turn on when the switch is moved to the parking light position.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:38 PM
ProDesign
Racer

The motor has a gear with a plastic molded insert. The insert has gone bad and you will need to replace motor and/or replace insert. If the motor is also grinding, then the gear has also gone bad. Gear and insert are sold as a set at aftermarket supply like Ecklers.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Schwa72
Pro

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
Foglamps will operate with either the park lamps or the low beam headlamps turned on. The fog lamp switch sends a B+ signal to the BCM, and the BCM then grounds the fog lamp relay turning the fog lamps on, if the park lamps or low beams are on. If you switch to high beams, the fog lamps go off.
There could be a few problems, the switch, or wiring.
I guess I should've been clearer in my original description of the problem, although I'm not sure it would affect the diagnosis. What I meant to say is that I can't get the parking lamps to come on without the headlights popping up. The foglight switch itself works as advertised.

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed with weird headlight problem

Quick Reply: Help needed with weird headlight problem