C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 All Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 05:39 PM
jkinneberg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 All Wheel Drive

Now some old timers are going to scoff at the thought of a All Wheel Drive C5 Corvette, although has anyone ever seen a drive train modification of this extreme executed? Could such a massive drive train modification be done, we all know the built in traction control would be totally thrown away.

No after market manufacturer would allocate a production line to create a kit for such a modification as it would not sell well do to many reasons many of you are no doubt going to comment on.

Lately I have been toying with the Idea of modifying my 99 C5 although clearance for starters is going to be a huge stopper although does anyone believe this is possible, or have any helpful comments?

P.S. yes it would simmer my rear tire burnout rate
Old 01-10-2005, 05:49 PM
gyoung
Instructor

What's to gain other than added weight?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:58 PM
jkinneberg
Intermediate

Default Corners

Not alot, just one could race on a track with corners

Well Now I've just made Friends

Really can anyone comment seriously on the aformentioned question?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You can bolt a C5 body on a four wheel drive frame, like a monster truck, but you could not have a low to the ground, visibly pleasing C5 with front and rear wheel drive.. there is just no room under the car for a transfer case, or a front drive differential.You might be able to do it with a transverse mounted V6 like a VR4 or a Dodge stealth, But not with a V8.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:06 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

It would be a good idea, an AWD car would be great in the rain or slick roads. But I dont drive the C5 in the rain, in fear that it will melt.

Seriously, the added weight would be offset by the other advantages of an AWD car. To have an idea of it, drive an Infiniti G35 sedan (RWD) and its AWD brother, the G35x. You can rocket out of the corner with the G35x and the AWD feeling of it is transparent - but it is there. It behaves like a RWD (20/80 ratio F:R) until it feels slippage. Then it can go 50:50 on the traction if it needs to.

This cannot be a DIY job though with all the sophisticated electronics of the C5.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:14 PM
kaapuni
2nd Gear

Default Yes....and no...

Okay...just for the fun of thinking this thing out....

There's not enough clearance to do it right...

You have to find room for a transfer case (to provide driveshaft rotation to a front differential), a driveshaft to the front differential, a front differential, shafts to the front wheels.

Due to a C5s design, including closely packed components, flat bottom, torquetube, hydroformed frame...if you wanted to do this wihtout jacking up the car....

Due to integral trans-diff design, the hardest part is going to be getting the same drive ratio off the trans to the t-case...or figuring out a ratio that would eliminate difference...

You may be able to do all kinds of things...whack the floorpan and replace the rear trans with an engine mounted trans with a ujoint convertor input to the rear diff or t-cas convertor plate attached to rear diff, run the front driveshaft through a tunnel hacked into the floor pan...use a 1:1 tcasesomewhere in the chain...use custom a-arms on the front/cut and box c-notches in the front frame/use chevy truck spindles-shafts....you'd have to find a place for the front diff...hard with the room you have....

I have seen this done to a 32 ford frame and body.......using components from the turbo'd v6 Typhoon and Cyclone trucks and SUVs...so yeah...it 'could' be done...but as stated you are going to have to cut the frame and hack holes into the passenger compartment to make room for components, and suffer other things like...the a-arms being too far out for wide fronts and...there may be nothing available out there currently for some of your parts needs...some custom manufacturing....

You could go to custom manufacturing to design the parts with space allotments...still have to do some floorpan and frame cutting...and I'd still say you couldn't build components small enough to fit in the spce requirements that would also handle the power...

I see nowhere to put the front differential...that's a toughy...you've got to remember...these cars were maximized for their intended use...and it wasn't awd or fwd...

I'd say...the easiest way...would be to hack the springs, differentials, and tcase off a fullsize 4wd, custom fab frame mounts...and jack that puppy up to clear the components...
Old 01-10-2005, 09:05 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you probably have way too much free time on your hands
Old 01-10-2005, 11:08 PM
jimmymc
Racer

u think
Old 01-11-2005, 04:07 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, Acura considered putting lightweight 50hp electric motors on the front wheels of the NSX. Instant 100hp e-boost.

You can't put std 4x4 on a C5, nothing will fit under that oil pan or in front of the crank pulley.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:02 AM
acrdakota
Cruising

The only guy I can think of who could accomplish such a thing is Troy T. Of Rad Rides by Troy. If that **** can may a 32' hi-boy AWD anything is possible. And I dare any of you guys to race that thing 0-60 slicks or not cause from what I hear it runs it in 2.9 on street tires.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 AM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not worth AWD for the Corvette for all the reasons posted above. I've heard rumors of AWD for the next GTO. I hope it's true.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

even if the advantages to AWD were enough to consider this being a worth project, there just isn't enough room to fit all the hardware and the LS1 under the hood.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Ls1Rat
Drifting

you might want to look at the 4WD C4 at the NCM for a starting point
Old 01-11-2005, 11:44 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1Rat
you might want to look at the 4WD C4 at the NCM for a starting point
Don't know if it's the same one, but we did build 1 at GMPG back in the late 80's and it was powered by a 4.3 with turbos if I remember correctly.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:08 PM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

The Silverado SS already has all the componants needed but there just isn't any room available in the vette amongst other things (like the rear trans/torque tube). Now, you might have better success with a camaro body/driveline but it would still be difficult to fit.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:00 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Well, there is plenty of room if you jack it up like a truck. Vette Doctors already runs a solid axle in their drag car. Stick another axle up front, mount a F-body tranny to the engine and a transfer case in the middle and some custom shafts, and we'd have a 4wd Vette truck!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to see someone do it. I want the cornering of a WRX and the power of a Vette without turbo...

Get notified of new replies

To C5 All Wheel Drive

Old 01-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by jkinneberg
Not alot, just one could race on a track with corners
WTF... have you ever even tracked a Corvette, let alone a Z06? Come out the VIR and I'll show you how bad a C5 is on a road course.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:58 PM
quick99ls1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
WTF... have you ever even tracked a Corvette, let alone a Z06? Come out the VIR and I'll show you how bad a C5 is on a road course.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:07 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Like I mentioned before, AWD is best for the porkly GTO. The last thing we need is extra weight. The Audi's are already aluminum and AWD. Look how much it costs for an aluminum frame on the C6 Z06, then tack on another $10K for AWD....no thanks! Now on the GTO, a car that will never be fast enough to compete with the Mustang, AWD would put it into a different category....one that I'd strongly consider paying for.

Quick Reply: C5 All Wheel Drive