C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please Codes on a 97

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:11 PM
zeusoftexas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help please Codes on a 97

Hope some one can help me? I have the following codes that keep coming back on a 97 A4.

PCM
P1571 this code is a always there no matter what, from the forum I think it is normal for a 97
P1626
P1644

BCM
B0844
U1040

IPC
U1040

Radio
U1016

I have run through the shop manuals and it looks like I am loosing power to the PCM/BCM or the data link connector is loose. Where are the Star connectors 1 and 2 located?

The car runs great but the ABS and TC turns off with a mind of there own?

Anyone else had this problem?

Thank you for the help.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:47 PM
zeusoftexas
Instructor

ttt
Old 01-25-2005, 01:52 PM
imagine32000
Racer

P1571 - ASR Desired Torque
P1626 - Theft Deterrent System Fuel Enable Circuit
P1644 - Delivered Torque Output Circuit

B0844 - BCM Temporarily Inhibit ABS

U1040 - Loss of Communications with TCS

U1016 - Loss of Communication with PCM

Sounds like you need a new TCS & BCM module.

- Matt
Old 01-25-2005, 01:57 PM
imagine32000
Racer

Since you also mentioned it was a 97.. I would trace the wiring harness back to the BCM & check for loose connections and/or corrosion on the terminals. Wouldn't want you replacing compnents that were fine due to loose or rusty connectors.

- Matt
Old 01-25-2005, 02:15 PM
zeusoftexas
Instructor

I think it is a loose connection some where? I looked on the wiring diagrams and they all run through a star connector 1 and 2. Where is this connector? Some one placed a aftermarket radio in this car and placed the factory on back in before I bought it. Is there anything any one can think of they would have messed with?
Old 01-25-2005, 03:59 PM
jjcslynn
Pro

I have some of the same codes, and couldn't find the star connector, either.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:30 PM
zeusoftexas
Instructor

Reading though the manual today, I think the star connectors are part of the Data end link connection under the drivers side dash. I'm trying to find this problem because I don't like being at the track and having my ABS turn off in a turn. I wish you could just turn the whole ABS/Traction control system off.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:42 AM
zeusoftexas
Instructor

Can anyone else think of a problem?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ahhhhhhhhhhh,, I have been down this road before!!! It was very long, full of pot holes and very bumpy!!!!

I had some VERY serious electrical issues with my 98 MN6 Coupe! All of the same codes and some of the same problems.

Fear not! There is an easy and almost FREE solution!!

Please read the post on "Electrical System Issues" that I posted a while back " http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...al+information " and let me know what you think. You more than likley have some corroded chassis grounds that need to be cleaned.

I have helped about 10 people so far with this exact same issue with excellent results!!. Doing the Chassis Ground Maintenance is the very first thing that you should do and it is not complicated.

The other issue could be your battery and the battery terminals.

How old and what type of battery do you have?

Please disconnect both terminals, inspect the battery terminals, cables and clean them with a small wire brush. The terminals need to be torqued on the the battery with 11 foot pounds of torque.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I have lots more troubleshooting information and pictures to assist you with this issue.

Bill Curlee
Old 01-27-2005, 09:56 AM
zeusoftexas
Instructor

I have a optima red top battery that is 5 months old. I checked for the acid problem and there were no signs of the battery ever leaking. I have taken all the grounds off and cleaned them except grounds 202 and 201 ( the two grounds inside the car under the side kick panels).

Taken every connection I can find under the the car and in the engine bay appart cleaned and placed diaelectric grease in the connections.

Cleaned the connections on the BCM and PCM like you would a PC. The PCM is loseing contact with the BCM. That is causing code B0844. That is the only code that would make my dash light come on. The rest of the codes look like they caused by the loss of communication also.

This has to be a loose wire some where, it is too random to be anything else. I can go for weeks with no problems then it will happen 6 times in a day, then stop for a week or so?

Thanks for the reply and the help,
Old 01-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The STAR Connectors are to the left of the BCM in the passengers foot well. Look behind the toe board. Each connector will have a connector cover on the connector that you can remove. Pull the connectors out and inspect them. The passengers foot well is a common area for water leaks. Make sure that the area is dry and everything is free of corrosion and wiring damage.

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Help please Codes on a 97

Quick Reply: Help please Codes on a 97