C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt rubber smell after driving???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Burnt rubber smell after driving???

I have 400 miles on my C6.

After easy driving, I always smell a burnt rubber odor outside the car.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 02-05-2005, 02:19 AM
cc42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's OK.
It's only breaking in.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:38 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

What's breaking in?

Could it be my serpentine belt shredding?

My VIN is 110416.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:43 AM
cc42
Racer

It's just the seals, o-rings, gaskets, etc I guess.
That's what I noticed with mine (a C5) when it was new.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

But. Just to be sure. Somebody here will remember this: Wasn't a brake line near the rear wheel/exaust, problem discussed. Keep this in mind that I could be wrong.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

does it still smell like ruber the next day before you start it ?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:06 AM
DebtCraft
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it's not the tires?

What seems like easy driving to you in a 400 hp C6 might look like the Starsky and Hutch Driving school to the rest of the world.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:10 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
What's breaking in?

Could it be my serpentine belt shredding?

My VIN is 110416.
All you have to do is look at your belt to check for shredding.

Had my car for over 5 months now, garaged and covered, still smells new with 1200 miles. Smells rubbery at times but not burning rubber.

Last edited by jabez; 02-05-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:26 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

My gagage definitely smells like rubber for several mos when I buy a new car. However, it does not smell like BURNING rubber. If it really smells like burning rubber, then something ain't right. If it smells like hot brakes it's probably the clutch. If it smells like rubber, maybe it is your belt? Not normal.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:36 AM
vrodder64
Racer

Wasn't there another post a few days ago that talked about how the gases that are emitted from the C6 plastics can stink up the garage?

It was explained that this is a result of the gases still escaping from the plastics. I herd the smell goes away in a few weeks.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:05 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

There is definitely a strong "burning" or "plastic" or "chemical" smell in the garage after I pull the car in. I thought it might be the clutch, since I have an inclined driveway and have to slip the clutch a bit to ease the car into the garage, but it really could be anything from the brakes to some sort of coating on the exhaust parts to the plastic body panels.

It does smell somewhat similar to "that new car smell" that is in the interior of the car, which lends credence to the theory that the smell is outgassing from the plastic body panels. OTOH, the smell is always gone by morning, which suggests to me that it is caused by something that heats up when the car is in operation.

Whatever causes it, so far it doesn't appear to have any detrimental effects on the operation of the car, so I'm not going to worry about it for now; I'll just keep an eye (nose?) on it.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:09 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by dvarapala
There is definitely a strong "burning" or "plastic" or "chemical" smell in the garage after I pull the car in. I thought it might be the clutch, since I have an inclined driveway and have to slip the clutch a bit to ease the car into the garage, but it really could be anything from the brakes to some sort of coating on the exhaust parts to the plastic body panels.

It does smell somewhat similar to "that new car smell" that is in the interior of the car, which lends credence to the theory that the smell is outgassing from the plastic body panels. OTOH, the smell is always gone by morning, which suggests to me that it is caused by something that heats up when the car is in operation.

Whatever causes it, so far it doesn't appear to have any detrimental effects on the operation of the car, so I'm not going to worry about it for now; I'll just keep an eye (nose?) on it.
As stated in the post above yours, there is a fiberglass resin / combined with typical new car upholstry smell which is more noticeable on the inside of the car and is typical of new (fiberglass, excuse me SMG) Corvettes. All new cars (or at least the one's I have bought) emit a slight rubber smell noticeable from the outside which is from the hoses, tires, etc. To me, none of these smell like "burning" rubber. Hopefully you mischaracterized the smell as "burning".

If you've ever smelled brakes that were overheated.....that what a burning clutch smells like. Hopefully your is the "new rubber hose / fiberglass resin smell.

That's all. Aroma Therapy 101 is dismissed
Old 02-05-2005, 01:45 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Had a slight rubber smell first month, but after 31/2 months and 3000 miles smell went away.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:20 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DebtCraft
Are you sure it's not the tires?

What seems like easy driving to you in a 400 hp C6 might look like the Starsky and Hutch Driving school to the rest of the world.
Warm new tires. I don't think anything about it. MY C5 did the same thing.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
THECORVETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 110 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Default Burning smell

I too noticed a burning smell a few times during my first week with my new C6. I smelled something like an electrical fire. It went away very quickly, and did not smell like that in the garage at all.

My serpentine belt is 100% intact, I have not popped the clutch, I have not done any hard braking, and my tires did not smell.

I got spooked because it smelled like an small electrical appliance burning smell.

I have owned many new Corvettes (and other cars) and nothing like this before.

Any other suggestions........
Old 02-06-2005, 12:28 PM
50-50
Racer

Originally Posted by rwpatte
Warm new tires. I don't think anything about it. MY C5 did the same thing.

The Goodyear "Supertire" is a lot more "stickey" than most tires giving it more grab, so by the time you steer a little back & forth to get into the garage, especially after coming in off the road, the tires are bound to give off a little rubber smell. Especially as new as they are.

I always seem to give mine a little "goose" on that last stretch before home anyway, which warms em up more. Feel the tires after you've been driving...I'll bet they are warm.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:32 PM
The Garage Master
Le Mans Master

Mine did the same. I just turned 400 miles and it doesn't really smell anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To Burnt rubber smell after driving???

Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Catalytic converters? This goes away after awhile.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:34 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Check the Belt

Could be the belt, but you would hear it before the smell. Most likely it’s unintentional crud from the factory dropped on your exhaust system burning off. Recommend smoking cigars and drinking heavily. You will not be able to smell it, and if you do, you will not care.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:14 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by THECORVETTEMANN
I too noticed a burning smell a few times during my first week with my new C6. I smelled something like an electrical fire. It went away very quickly, and did not smell like that in the garage at all.

I got spooked because it smelled like an small electrical appliance burning smell.

I have owned many new Corvettes (and other cars) and nothing like this before.

Any other suggestions........
Not a C6 but:

Well we picked up our new Tahoe yesterday that we ordered on January 6th ( Sport Red Metallic LT - it's sweeet) and I noticed the very same smell as described. I've owned several new cars before and never noticed the electrical burning smell as described here. But that describes what I smelled exactly. I did look under there as best I could, and did not see anything touching the exhaust system, that was not supposed to. However, part of the exhaust hangers are rubber and it is possible that that is the cause of the smell. After all, the acrid smell we associate with an electrical fire is actually from the rubber insulation burning off of the conductor. I know that exhaust hangers have always had some rubber in them. But in the past, with the ones I have seen, the rubber looked like a piece of tire. These look more like a softer rubber. I'll crawl under there this weekend and have a closer look.

That reminds me, I need to re-torque the lug nuts.

Quick Reply: Burnt rubber smell after driving???