C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Dress up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Crazy Cowboy
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Dog pee No, really, Tire Wet works well.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:34 PM
elmagoo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bugman
My own two cents: have tried many things over the years. Definitely would not put armor all on my tires though. I want a spray that lasts and doesn't have fling. The Meguiars gel is nice, but not as convenient as a spray. Need a spray.

Meguiars NXT Generation Insane shine tire spray.
  • costs $7.
  • has excellent spray nozzle so it only goes where you want it to go, don't get any on the wheels.
  • lasts through rain, several weeks.
  • ABSOLUTELY no fling at all.
I don't think it really holds up through serial washings, but I like it for all of the other above.

It all depends upon what you're looking for. If you like really shiney wet looking tires, this product produces the best shine I've seen yet.

There are also a ton of products out there that advertise 'no fling'. The key is to apply the product and then let the car sit for like 15 - 30 minutes before you go anywhere. This will allow any residue to dry and you won't get any fling.

The only thing I don't like about the spray so far is that it gets onto the body of the car, even if you spray in the garage with the door closed so there's no breeze. If you look really close around the quarter panel you'll see all these little specs (I have a black car so hence it shows up really easily). So another tip is after you've washed and dried the car, spray the tires with the dressing first and then run your quick detail spray afterwards over the car (Z6 for Zaino, NXT quick detailer for Meguiars, or Sonus spritz for Klasse or Zaino). Doing this will allow more time for the dressing to dry, and will also get rid of the small specs that get on the body from the spray.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Firedog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soap and water...
Old 06-07-2005, 04:34 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Firedog
Soap and water...

...that's a good one...yeah, right!

No phone call yet???
Old 06-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Rocketman50
Racer

Originally Posted by flyzlow
That's what a lot of us older enthusiasts did before there was Armor all, etc. Then something called tire black came out. I also remember buying the white tire chalking sticks to make our tire lettering stand out. Then the manufacturers started making raised white letter tires. Man, I'm getting old!!
We used brake fluid...
Old 06-07-2005, 06:31 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

I've tried a number of products, Meguiar's gel, Turtle wax foam, 303, etc and teh problem I have with all of them is that I get that BLACK GUNK BUILDUP no matter how hard I clean the tires with dish soap or degreaser during the car wash. Once that new application of dressing goes on the applicator or paper towel is black with gunk.

Any ideas for a repeated gunk free application of one of these products? Honestly, they all look pretty good, but this is one of my pet peeves.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by coolcat
I also use Black Magic Tire Wet and have not had tire cracking problems. Nothing looks worse than a washed and waxed C6 with dull tires.
works for me too!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Sleddawg
Cruising

Black Magic, wipe on with cloth. Looks great

Old 06-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Lakelander
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 71 Posts

Zaino tire gloss.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:31 PM
elmagoo
Racer

Originally Posted by RichieRich
I've tried a number of products, Meguiar's gel, Turtle wax foam, 303, etc and teh problem I have with all of them is that I get that BLACK GUNK BUILDUP no matter how hard I clean the tires with dish soap or degreaser during the car wash. Once that new application of dressing goes on the applicator or paper towel is black with gunk.

Any ideas for a repeated gunk free application of one of these products? Honestly, they all look pretty good, but this is one of my pet peeves.

I'm trying a new product from michelin which is a tire / wheel cleaner (comes in a yellow bottle). They also have a spray coating you put on after cleaning the wheel that's like a wax where you can just wipe off break dust and such easily (I believe it's also supposed to repel some of the break dust). Unfortunately I just checked Michelin's site and they don't have any mention of these products, only their tires. I've only recently put the spray coating on and have rarely driven the car since, so I can't say much about how it works yet.

I just spray the tire with some cleaner and then use a Meguiars tire brush for a good scrubbing (they have both a tire and a wheel brush). I also only clean the actual tire about once a month depending upon how often I drive the car (the wheels I do with each wash). This seems to agitate and clean most of the stuff off the wheel so I never get any buildup or browning. Since I use a spray on dressing I don't have to worry about getting a dirty towel or applicator.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:08 PM
c64lucky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by greengo
Ive tried them all on different vehicle and there is absolutely none better than Zaino's tire gloss....
I've tried just about everything , using Zaino now but I don't get much gloss.

Still Looking!

C64Lucky
Old 06-08-2005, 08:57 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on my tires and all exterior plastic.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:57 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I like 303. But I've found when I use it on exterior trim, 1 or 2 days later I see running streakmarks all down the side of my car doors. Of course I don't ever put enough on so that it would drip. But these streak marks show up nonetheless.

I guess if you use it on the exterior, you have to go back over it an hour later and wipe it down. I'm disappointed in 303 in that regard. With other products that is not necessary.

I would hesitate to use it on my tires for the same reason -- don't you get fling off ?

It's a great product for the interior of the car.

Quick Reply: Tire Dress up?