C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone else want a real key ---> RANT

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 11:30 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is a great feature. I really have gotten used to not having to use keys, but then again I have not had any problems with mine.

I agree with mpuzach, you may want to get the battery replaced in your FOB.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by gpm30236
Have one of the early production C6 precision red Z51 . Love the car esp on the track . But am becoming almost violent about the keyless entry and fob for starting and stopping the car. Have had to resort to using the emergency release in the trunk whenever i need to get into this car of course that means hearing the horn sound the alarm whenever i enter. Thankfully no rain lately not that easy to quickly put the key in the slot over the tag but am learning . Have the fob in my hand, pocket , etc. within 6 inches of the door try the remote unlock , and still cannot get into the car. Once in the car , NO FOB DETECTED. and worse when i try to turn it off the same message. I really dont like paying 50K for a car that can't be entered,started , and turned off without cussing the thing. what happened to the reliable key from my C3 and C5 . would love to have the guts of this insane system ripped out and a simple functional key installed. Have apopintment for next wed at the dealer , This on top of mulitiple dead batteries. Has anyone else had this problem ?
'No FOB detected' can be due to interference by other fobs, transmitters, electronic gizmos and cellphones. Keep them well away from your Vette's fob. Have you tried fob #2? They are numbered on back. Have you replaced the fob's battery? Have you tried using your fob in the emergency slot in the glovebox?
Maybe you need a new battery.
Remove relay #46. Do a search if you're not familiar with that.
Remember to lock the steering wheel every time you exit the vehicle.
Try a 'priority start module' or 'battery tender' if all else fails.
It's unlikely that your dealer will be of any help, unless it's a simple battery replacement.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:44 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geeeez.... We've had thread after thread on this. If you don't like the technology, then buy a C5, or some other sports car. In the mean time, if you are having problems with your vette, take it in for repair.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Nel727
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jazzlove
Geeeez.... We've had thread after thread on this. If you don't like the technology, then buy a C5, or some other sports car. In the mean time, if you are having problems with your vette, take it in for repair.
Obviously you are not a connoiseur of "whines."
Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 AM
natejohn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarstar
Love all the technology, No problems here. Sorry to hear yours is a pita.
100%
Keys are a PITA......
HOWEVER -
If you leave your keys behind, you KNOW you can't get in/start your car.
If you leave your FOB behind BUT your wife has her's in her purse it CAN give you a "false" sense of security has you drop her off at the airport and she and her FOB flies away leaving you with a "dead" vette!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:20 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I know that this is a long shot, but when did you last replace the battery in your fob?
Don't want to hijack this thread, but fob batteries last a long, long time. My 96 collector edition has remote keyless access. More than 9 years on the road, and I have never needed to replace the batteries.

BTW, hope GM can figure out what your problem is and get it fixed pronto.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Builderrick
Race Director

Received 121 Likes on 49 Posts

I have never had a problem with mine. I love it, no fumbling for keys just keep it in your pocket. It unlocks fine, starts right up every time and locks when I walk away. I do have an automatic though. One other thing to check is oxidation on the contacts for the battery. It happens on my portable phone every so often. The metal may even be aluminum and it gets a coat of oxidation over it. The batteries for these things are so low voltage it can't pass through the oxidation.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Guppies
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'14, '21

Originally Posted by CROWVETTE
Love mine. Only very minor problem was when wife had her fob in her purse and she opens the passenger door first, all setting are hers. You have to both get out and away from car and then I open the door first.
Buy a 6-speed, you get to push a button

Love the keyless, no problems here (except my finger exercises are getting hard - but, gotta do it to push all those buttons )
Old 09-23-2005, 02:42 PM
WEEZEL
Racer

I love being able to walk up to the locked car and get in without having to push a button and also being able to walk away from the car and having lock itself. The keyless start I could take or leave if it wasn't available but I love the other option mentioned above.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:37 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh come on guys...

I think they should put a small keypad for entry on the doors...then a full size keypad on the nav system that requires you to enter your secure "password" to start the car.

That way you wouldn't need any keys or keyfobs...problem solved.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:46 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

I like the keyless feature. At 8,000 miles I did have the DBS and at this time the DIC stated the FOB had not been detected. I think this was due to the battery being almost completly drained. As soon as the car was jump started there was no problem.
Dealer replaced the battery and alternator, no more problems.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:36 PM
KDH
Instructor

I like the keyless entry, and haven't had any problems with the FOB (not yet, anyway). I just wish I knew what to do with it once I get in the car. I don't like stuff in my pockets, so I end up putting it on the passenger seat. Then I invariably get out and leave it. Oh well, I guess there are more serious concerns in life.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:38 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayonayze
i'll hold onto to my keyless. thanks!

i never realized how annoying it was to have my keys dangling in the ignition over my right leg and swinging around all crazy-like when i got squirrely with it.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:31 PM
ocsorbil
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLC6
I would sell my Vette if it had a real key

I love it so much I sleep with it at night.
Sleep with the Vette, or the fob??
Old 09-23-2005, 05:43 PM
steve miller
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The perfect solution would have been the one that Mercedes uses for it's "Keyless Go". Their cars have an ignition for the key, or ir YOU CHOOSE, just keep the FOB in your pocket, Step on the brake, and push the starter button on the top of the shift lever. Best of both worlds, and a fail safe mechanism against electrical problems.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:50 PM
ALFONSE
Burning Brakes

No!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:32 PM
gpm30236
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoonose
'No FOB detected' can be due to interference by other fobs, transmitters, electronic gizmos and cellphones. Keep them well away from your Vette's fob. Have you tried fob #2? They are numbered on back. Have you replaced the fob's battery? Have you tried using your fob in the emergency slot in the glovebox?
Maybe you need a new battery.
Remove relay #46. Do a search if you're not familiar with that.
Remember to lock the steering wheel every time you exit the vehicle.
Try a 'priority start module' or 'battery tender' if all else fails.
It's unlikely that your dealer will be of any help, unless it's a simple battery replacement.

Yes the fob has a new battery ,

most of the time have no other electrical devices with me in the car.

Doesn't matter which fob i use.

The battery in the car was replaced by the dealer

The slot in the glove box works , once you get into the car.

Have a service appointment on wed

And Jazzlove have a phenomenal C5 03 AE vert with 427 blown and total interior upgrad , and yes i can get into that car reliably.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone else want a real key ---> RANT

Old 09-23-2005, 06:35 PM
It'sHerVette!
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

No problems with either fob and love not having to have a key ring scratching things up or swinging in the breeze.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Nel727
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PaceThis
Oh come on guys...

I think they should put a small keypad for entry on the doors...then a full size keypad on the nav system that requires you to enter your secure "password" to start the car.

That way you wouldn't need any keys or keyfobs...problem solved.
Would also cut down on the number of drunk vette drivers ...and owners (like me) over 50 who are starting to suffer from CRS
Old 09-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Skytrader
Advanced

I really like the keyless entry, never take it out of my pocket, never had problems.

Quick Reply: anyone else want a real key ---> RANT