C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NSX kills Corvette on the straight line??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:25 PM
MontereyRed

...and when you put the top down on an NSX, it's real hard to put back up
Old 10-03-2005, 04:10 PM
santsys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That had to be one of the worst reviews i have seen in a long time. I usually like that show, they try some funny things, and they do have some points about the car, but they are pointing out extreams and overexadurating things a TON.

At the end, did anyone see the lap around the test track? who do they have driving these things? It looked like the guy had never driven the track in that car before. I mean he was all over the place, and thats not all the car, that has a TON to do with the driver. That show never seems to have good drivers in my oppinion (well drivers that are experianced in the cars they are testing).

just my $0.02...

--Josh
Old 10-03-2005, 05:11 PM
DigitalGriffin
Pro

Originally Posted by santsys

"At the end, did anyone see the lap around the test track? who do they have driving these things? It looked like the guy had never driven the track in that car before."
Actually that was "The Stig" and he is pretty good. However when they went around the track with the vette it was wet. So you can take another 2-3 seconds off that track time. Why oh why they test with a wet track is beyond me. Can't they wait a few more days for that dam* british weather to clear up.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Vette owner wannabe
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXC6
Anyone that refers to THE world power as the "colonies" doesn't deserve a split second of my attention.

Yes, we all know that the Top Gear review was rubbish.

Fact: A large part of the US, is a former British colony.

Didn't some other part used to be a French colony? Wasn't California a Spanish colony? Heck, even the vikings had a colony...

Get off your high horse!

/

Last edited by Vette owner wannabe; 10-03-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:29 PM
SimpsonH
Pro

Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin
Actually that was "The Stig" and he is pretty good. However when they went around the track with the vette it was wet. So you can take another 2-3 seconds off that track time. Why oh why they test with a wet track is beyond me. Can't they wait a few more days for that dam* british weather to clear up.

That may have been "The Stig", but he did not look like he knew how to drive a car. Every turn required correction and he was about as smooth as a cockroach running for cover. My 101-year-old Grandmother could have done as well and she lost her license six years ago.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:16 PM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Yes and No

Originally Posted by Timpo
According to Top Gear, C6 is slower than 2004 Honda NSX.

TOP GEAR
(C6 got smoked by NSX)

http://eden.rutgers.edu/~firoze/Gran...orvette_lo.wmv

According to CAR & DRIVER, C5 is slower than 2001 Acura NSX.

2001 Acura NSX:
0-60mph: 4.5 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.9 seconds
Topspeed: 167mph

CAR & DRIVER
says "faster than Porsche 911 Carrera and standard Corvette"

is that true or... ???
http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/multimedia/cd2001.rm

Based on my many years of reading American car mags the answer is Yes and No.

The 1996 and Up NSX has the 290HP up from the 270HP. It aslo gets the 6sp upgrade. This made the car much faster and It can do faster times than the Standard C5 (not the C5 Z06). But C6 with a manual trans. (Z51 or not) is faster than the NSX. Remember the NSX has mid engine configuration which will make the NSXs get good 0-60 times.

Last edited by DJackman; 10-03-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:25 PM
1Day
Drifting

Originally Posted by SimpsonH
That may have been "The Stig", but he did not look like he knew how to drive a car. Every turn required correction and he was about as smooth as a cockroach running for cover. My 101-year-old Grandmother could have done as well and she lost her license six years ago.
its nice to be macho sitting on a computer, please I would like to critically analyse your tracking abilities, please i insist post a video and we will see who is all over and who is not..the Stig in this program is mostly a professional driver..surely better than anyone here..so talking trash about someone's ability is very simple sitting behind a computer...

I love that show..its pretty nice..if you wannabe uptight about the joke then you are the fool that the joke is meant for, but if you take them lightly its a cool and funny...atleast the brits have something, here we got nothing..

and btw 5th gear is a little better..but its a fact..the car is great for the money but its has many elements missing which can only be brought with a higher price tag...nicer interiors, better build quality and more connected feel..
Old 10-03-2005, 10:28 PM
1Day
Drifting

I am trying to recall..NSX can hang with the gallardo and murcielago on the track, which is a big feat for that car..agreed its aged and tired and slow on paper, but it seems like a cool car..i am trying to remember what model of nsx was used to race with the murcielago, gallardo, 911, 360 and M3 CSL..
Old 10-03-2005, 11:08 PM
mcronec5
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Nobody actually listens to Top Gear, but I do watch it for the Humor.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 PM
DwarfDump
Instructor

I love that show..its pretty nice..
Yah....isn't this the show that loves the Ford Focus? And..isn't that the guy that owns a Morgan..a Morgan that has door handles as a build option and is made of wood? God forbid that the Corvette has leaf springs...

You're right this show does rule....why don't you go and watch it.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Timpo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Day
I am trying to recall..NSX can hang with the gallardo and murcielago on the track, which is a big feat for that car..agreed its aged and tired and slow on paper, but it seems like a cool car..i am trying to remember what model of nsx was used to race with the murcielago, gallardo, 911, 360 and M3 CSL..
NSX Type-R raced with those cars...Best Motoring videos right?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:58 AM
ricatthebeach
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I wrote it before, I'll write it again. The Brits are cranky because:

1. Ford owns Jag-yew-ar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover.
2. BMW owns Mini and Rolls Royce
3. Audi owns Bentley
4. Proton owns Lotus
5. Some late 20's Russian owns TVR
6. MG, Rover, Triumph, Austin Healey, Jensen, etc... RIP

If I had bet everyone on this forum 20 years ago that the only British sports car still owned by the Brits in 2005 would be MORGAN, I wager I would've gotten flamed like DeNiro in "Backdraft". P.S. don't tell me about Noble and all those other kit cars, I don't think it counts if you don't have to pass emissions and crash tests and half of them are built in South Africa anyway.

Jimmy
Don't forget... Volkswagon owns Rolls Royce!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:05 AM
o0 zeno 0o
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1Day
its nice to be macho sitting on a computer, please I would like to critically analyse your tracking abilities, please i insist post a video and we will see who is all over and who is not..the Stig in this program is mostly a professional driver..surely better than anyone here..so talking trash about someone's ability is very simple sitting behind a computer...

I love that show..its pretty nice..if you wannabe uptight about the joke then you are the fool that the joke is meant for, but if you take them lightly its a cool and funny...atleast the brits have something, here we got nothing..

and btw 5th gear is a little better..but its a fact..the car is great for the money but its has many elements missing which can only be brought with a higher price tag...nicer interiors, better build quality and more connected feel..

Please, that's crap... We have nothing?! We have the Viper, the Z06, and the Ford GT... Britain is by no means in the top of the muscle and speed market. And there's no way they'll match the corvette for the price.

Of course, I can see why they would attempt to look like they have faster cars. They're behind us in just about everything.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:38 AM
John Corbitt
Advanced

I just came back rfom the UK. Driving a right hand car and shifting with my left hand is akward. Those guy are going to have the same dificulty driving our left hand cars. If it was the same driver driving all the cars, the vette would have placed higher in their drag race. I was watching that show while they drove a Ferrari 430. That driver stepped out the rear on the same turns and almost spun the 430. I have had Competition licenses, and all the training I received at the track, was to avoid stepping the car. That is a good way for a pro driver to scrub off speed and make for a slower track time. These guys carry no credibility with me. They act and sound like an infomercial.

I have also seen Corvette dealerships in London and Paris. They are on streets of Monaco parked next to Ferrari and Lamborghini. Throughout europe, people stop and stare at the vettes with the same stare as they do to the Ferraris and lamborghinis.The C5 got the world's attention and I expect the C6 to do the same.

It is hard to get a Britt to admit anything is better coming from the US. They buy our cars and our beer. That pretty much makes a statement there.

John
Old 10-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Boyko23
Advanced

From my European point of view, I have to say that it’s true that Corvettes in Europe are as much exotic as any other sports car…
Concerning the Top Gear-yes they are very biased and they don’t hide this. But the program is cool and gives very interesting points of view. Some of them are useful, others are crap. Everyone decides for himself whether to take the into consideration or not.
About the NSX, I think that they are totally different cars! The NSX is made for a single reason – cornering! It’s normal to be fast on short tracks and due to its low weight to be fast from 0 to 60…
Just my point of view…
Old 10-04-2005, 06:08 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DwarfDump
....a Morgan that has door handles as a build option and is made of wood?...
Nature's composite.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:10 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did they say on the show that was inaccurate?

Get notified of new replies

To NSX kills Corvette on the straight line??

Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 AM
1Day
Drifting

Originally Posted by o0 zeno 0o
Please, that's crap... We have nothing?! We have the Viper, the Z06, and the Ford GT... Britain is by no means in the top of the muscle and speed market. And there's no way they'll match the corvette for the price.

Of course, I can see why they would attempt to look like they have faster cars. They're behind us in just about everything.
I was talking about a automotive show here and not cars..
Old 10-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Timpo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I wrote it before, I'll write it again. The Brits are cranky because:

1. Ford owns Jag-yew-ar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover.
2. BMW owns Mini and Rolls Royce
3. Audi owns Bentley
4. Proton owns Lotus
5. Some late 20's Russian owns TVR
6. MG, Rover, Triumph, Austin Healey, Jensen, etc... RIP

If I had bet everyone on this forum 20 years ago that the only British sports car still owned by the Brits in 2005 would be MORGAN, I wager I would've gotten flamed like DeNiro in "Backdraft". P.S. don't tell me about Noble and all those other kit cars, I don't think it counts if you don't have to pass emissions and crash tests and half of them are built in South Africa anyway.

Jimmy
what about McLaren?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:37 PM
connor
Instructor

Originally Posted by SliverMeMembers
You know, I really do love the Brits, but this cracks me up. How can any country with food so BAD make fun of anyone's anything? And what British car is even close to competing with the Vette's demographic market? The Elise? How about a turbo Mini Cooper?

I was once watching some 2nd rate comic do his stand up routine, talking about his trip to Britain, and he hit it on the nose... he said their food was so bad that the Germans should have droppped cookbooks on the British in WWII instead of bombs!

When they can put the McClaren on the market for $50k-$60k, then I will take their criticism seriously. Haggas, anyone?

SMM

It is spelt Haggis and even Sassenach's wont eat it.

Quick Reply: NSX kills Corvette on the straight line??