C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impala gets iPod input but Corvette doesn't?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 02:18 PM
hapnermw
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Impala gets iPod input but Corvette doesn't?

This is a mid range Impala audio option - AM/FM Stereo with CD/MP3 Player, iPodŽ Input Jack, and XM Satellite Radio. If GM can provide an iPod input on this inexpensive car, why is it missing on the Corvette?

If GM requires us to buy a Bose system just to get side air bags and a telescoping steering column the least they could do is provide a unit with an iPod input. Does GM think Corvette owners don't own iPods?
Old 10-06-2005, 03:04 PM
jfreez
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Ipods are a joke, they seem nice at first, but wait untill your bat fails. Time for a new ipod.

I have been looking into the mp3 issue and think I have found a soulution.

There is an adaptor for a kenwood changer to be hooked up to a factory system, with that adaptor, you can install several diffrent devices that will be able to be controled through the factory head unit.

phatnoise.com has the one I am using now. There are also products out there by rio an ssiamerica.com
each unit has major capacity, the one I am running in my camaro is 80gigs.

phat noise is also working on one that produces video over the screen in GM vehicles.

2006 detalis are not worked out yet, but it will come and be much better than the ipod.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:16 PM
LarryW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfreez
Ipods are a joke, they seem nice at first, but wait untill your bat fails. Time for a new ipod.
WRONG: iPod battery replacement
Old 10-06-2005, 03:41 PM
flood
Race Director

Corvette has much more torque and the ipod would fly around the car. Impala clearly doesn't have this problem.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:50 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Pleae keep your silly thoughts to the general section.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:51 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hapnermw
This is a mid range Impala audio option - AM/FM Stereo with CD/MP3 Player, iPodŽ Input Jack, and XM Satellite Radio. If GM can provide an iPod input on this inexpensive car, why is it missing on the Corvette?

If GM requires us to buy a Bose system just to get side air bags and a telescoping steering column the least they could do is provide a unit with an iPod input. Does GM think Corvette owners don't own iPods?
Please keep your silly thoughts to the general section.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:23 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by LarryW

yes, you can buy the bat, but Ipods are glued together, you have to cut the thing appart to replace it and a good percentage of people destroy the thing in the process.

My point is there are much better options.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

yes, you can buy the bat, but Ipods are glued together, you have to cut the thing appart to replace it and a good percentage of people destroy the thing in the process.

My point is there are much better options.

Wrong again. You can send in your out of warranty ipod for a battery replacement for $60.00.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

I can see you are a total loyalist to the ipod, thats fine, but there is a reason you are not seeing them dominate the after market car audio arena.

Ipods have the same problems that apple computers have, its a good product but they keep trying to tie you to the company. (this is what almost did them under untill Bill Gates bailed them out)

Yes they can be fixed by the factory, just like eveything else. if you are going to invest the money in an mp3 player for your car, get one that is purpose built, you will be much more satisfied.

I have an Ipod that was given to me at a tech conferance, and I love it for the gym, but if your into car audio, you should know you can do much better.

The bat is just the first pain. Ipod is a portable and has limited abulities to support that portable formatt.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:09 PM
SickRick
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see you are a total loyalist to the ipod, thats fine, but there is a reason you are not seeing them dominate the after market car audio arena.
Hate to rain on your parade - but if Ipod wasn't dominating the market, then why does every major manufacturer (BMW/GM/etc.) have it as an option in many models.

I personally own a Creative Nomad JB3, which I also use as a digital hard disc recorder (I do concert recordings), and it's also velcro'd to the gas tank of my Electra Glide. I'd like to get an Ipod for the 'vette, simply because it's smaller and there are many interfaces available for it. If you power off the interface while in the car, and the adapter while in the home, battery replacement should rarely become an issue. As soon as I find an interface I'm comfortable with, for my non-NAV 1SB, I'll Ebay one for myself. With close to 500GB of "internet collected" commercial albums, and close to that in my own concert recordings - it's a helluva lot more convenient than burning CD's, despite their current inexpensive-ness.

Rick
Old 10-06-2005, 06:11 PM
C6Dan
Intermediate

David Hill said the tech team couldn't get an Ipod to stay still in a 1g corner, so the idea was scraped.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:14 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Instructions for best music in a 'Vette:

1. Install new exhaust system

2. Turn off radio

3. Lower windows and/or top

4. DRIVE

Old 10-06-2005, 07:33 PM
black783
Racer

Originally Posted by mforman42
Instructions for best music in a 'Vette:

1. Install new exhaust system

2. Turn off radio

3. Lower windows and/or top

4. DRIVE

I would add FAST to #4
Old 10-06-2005, 07:44 PM
jfreez
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by SickRick
Hate to rain on your parade - but if Ipod wasn't dominating the market, then why does every major manufacturer (BMW/GM/etc.) have it as an option in many models.

Rick

Just because they are the first to market, dosent mean they are the best.

Hey, good luck with your ipod. I am just going to agree to disagree.
thats the great thing about a free market, we all choose what we like to go with.

Never ment to get this all fired up like this, I was just trying to supply some quality options I have found through personal experance.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Z-51
Burning Brakes

Buy the Impala and get your Ipod . No soup for you
Old 10-06-2005, 08:10 PM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

Puh-leeze!!!

I've owned no less than four different MP3 players (portable and car)
Archos
iPod
Hard-drive in-dash units
CD-based

they all have their ups/downs, but the ipod so far has the edge on looks, size, and market share (read: after-market extras)
It's becoming ubiquitous, and carmakers are becoming savvy to one unifying MP3 player. Sheez, even my wife's Merc-Benz has an iPod adapter.

Mine sits just fine in the cupholder, even at .9G's... and doesn't skip a beat. I can listen to music, or podcasts without a hitch.

Reviews on other Car MP3 sources I've owned:

Archos: replaceable AA rechargeables, nice hacks... but heavy weight makes pocket carrying impractical, and won't fit in the cupholder. Good menu interface, rubber shock absorbers on corners... but cheap plastic case falls apart over time, including the buttons going bad.

Rio Car: http://www.riocar.org/ great idea, great software, but company went bankrupt in 2000. $1500 at the time. Not portable, but HUGE hard-drives available with LOTS of music. Linux based OS, could transfer via LAN or WAN to car. Cool. But required tearing out the factory radio to mount it in the car (not necessarily a bad thing!). AM/FM was optional and expensive.

CD-based car unit: scratches, slow access times, only 100 songs on a CD. CD-cases, ripping/burning.. more expense, lack of portability.

iPod: large hard-drive and portable. Sleek, cool, hip. Nice features and lots of aftermarket accessories. Somewhat awkward, but simple, menu system. Hacks available and not limited to Apple's software, iTunes. see www.ephpod.com

Now if Chevy can get with the program, and do some market research... iPod AUX port is what ALOT of people want!!!!! If only it was a mini "in" port to plug in "line in" AUX.

Ipods have the same problems that apple computers have, its a good product but they keep trying to tie you to the company. (this is what almost did them under untill Bill Gates bailed them out)

Yes they can be fixed by the factory, just like eveything else. if you are going to invest the money in an mp3 player for your car, get one that is purpose built, you will be much more satisfied.

I have an Ipod that was given to me at a tech conferance, and I love it for the gym, but if your into car audio, you should know you can do much better.

The bat is just the first pain. Ipod is a portable and has limited abulities to support that portable formatt.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:43 PM
somewhatdamaged
Instructor

Default Ipod options

I have been using my Ipod in the Vette cupholder with no issue. I went with an aftermarket unit with an Ipod adapter which allows for you to control and display information on your head unit versus through the Ipod itself. I have also tried Rio and Archos and the Ipod is far superior to both. I have also replaced the battery in my old Ipod, no problem...it's basically a notebook computer battery. It would have been nice to have the option of an Ipod jack, but it definitely is not a deal breaker, as I would choose performance based options over convenience items anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Impala gets iPod input but Corvette doesn't?

Old 10-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,965 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by docrings1
iPod: large hard-drive and portable. Sleek, cool, hip.
I've got to hand it to Apple marketing. "Hip" isn't a reason to buy a portable audio device for me, but it seems to work for a lot of people.

Personally, I think iPods are outdated and clunky. I bought a Samsung YP-MT6Z, which is not much bigger than the AA battery it holds. It plays just about every music file type, records MP3s from an audio source such as a CD player, has a built-in microphone, FM radio (and can record FM broadcasts), and can be used as a USB computer storage device, with up to 1G of data.

It seems like it is about time to put an audio input jack in the C6.

Michael
Old 10-07-2005, 12:16 AM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

GM has to do something to get people to buy those boring old Impalas...
Old 10-07-2005, 12:31 AM
74_LS-4
Racer

iPods are the leading player because they are the best.

The others are just crap.

Quick Reply: Impala gets iPod input but Corvette doesn't?