C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has your clutch return spring broken?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:55 PM
rodfl99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has your clutch return spring broken?

While vacuuming my '05 Coupe, I found a broken spring on the floor mat. I looked up under the dash and saw that the spring on my clutch pedal had broken in half (half was still connected to the pedal). Can anyone tell me if this has happened to them and if the other half goes, can the car still be driven or will the clutch pedal drop to the floor? I understand that this is a common occurence and was wondering how long it takes to repair it.

Thanks for any feedback.........
Old 12-23-2005, 02:22 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodfl99
While vacuuming my '05 Coupe, I found a broken spring on the floor mat. I looked up under the dash and saw that the spring on my clutch pedal had broken in half (half was still connected to the pedal). Can anyone tell me if this has happened to them and if the other half goes, can the car still be driven or will the clutch pedal drop to the floor? I understand that this is a common occurence and was wondering how long it takes to repair it.

Thanks for any feedback.........

There are guys that have taken off the spring, and drive it so
I would say yes.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:24 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spring ok at 12,000 miles.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:25 PM
rodfl99
Racer

Default Spring

Broke at 13,000
Old 12-23-2005, 05:26 PM
PaBlueCoupe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09

Not yet (6,000 miles).
Old 12-23-2005, 05:53 PM
AK's Z
Instructor

I took mine off, shifting is much better.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:26 PM
vette6500
Pro

Yes, broke in half just like you mentioned with half on the floor, other half still attached @ 11,000 miles.
3 visits to dealer to get it replaced. Once for them to check and say they ordered the spring. 2nd time they try to replace with part received, but it was the wrong spring (too small?). Drove another week without any spring until the correct part came in for the 3rd and final visit.

I would say the clutch pedal felt best when 1/2 was broken off and 1/2 was still there. Just the right amount of tension and direct feeling.
Pedal felt a little too stiff with no spring and pedal had some play side to side. With the replacement spring, the pedal felt too soft, so much so that I had a hard time driving (probably because I got used to the no spring while waiting for it). It's been about 6,000 miles since and the pedal seems to be stiffer than when new spring went in, although it still does not feel linear like when I had 1/2 spring or no spring. Now also starting to make a tiny squeak at the bottom of clutch travel, probably need to grease up the spring.

My recommendation is to keep it with the 1/2 spring in, felt the best and didn't have the play in the pedal as without the spring at all. If you get the spring replaced, you will feel a very soft clutch for a while before you get used to it or until the spring gets tighter from cold working (which is why it seemed to have broken off in the first place). Maybe mine will break again in 5,000 more miles?
Old 12-24-2005, 11:21 AM
rodfl99
Racer

Default Spring

Thanks again for the great info....

Rod

Get notified of new replies

To Has your clutch return spring broken?

Quick Reply: Has your clutch return spring broken?