C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Brake Caliper Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Wcberry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Default C6 Brake Caliper Replacement Question

I am finally going to pull the Calipers and get them power coated. I have been reading the procedure in the service manual to make sure I am not overlooking something. I have also read some of the threads on here from others that have pulled them off too.

My question comes from the service manual. The service manual says that whenever removing the brake hose from the caliper to throw away and "Install NEW copper brake hose gaskets."

I don't have a problem with that, it is just that I haven't seen anyone mention this in the threads I have read. If everyone is replacing them, I assume they are easy to get at the service department of my local Chevy dealer.

Also under Brake Caliper Replacement in the service manual, it says to Discard and Install NEW brake caliper mounting bracket bolts. So according to this, I should replace these bolts if I pull these bolts.

I am just wondering if in fact everyone that pulls their calipers for power coating is doing this.

Happy Holidays.
Wendell
Old 12-24-2005, 07:11 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Wcberry
I am finally going to pull the Calipers and get them power coated. I have been reading the procedure in the service manual to make sure I am not overlooking something. I have also read some of the threads on here from others that have pulled them off too.

My question comes from the service manual. The service manual says that whenever removing the brake hose from the caliper to throw away and "Install NEW copper brake hose gaskets."

I don't have a problem with that, it is just that I haven't seen anyone mention this in the threads I have read. If everyone is replacing them, I assume they are easy to get at the service department of my local Chevy dealer.

Also under Brake Caliper Replacement in the service manual, it says to Discard and Install NEW brake caliper mounting bracket bolts. So according to this, I should replace these bolts if I pull these bolts.

I am just wondering if in fact everyone that pulls their calipers for power coating is doing this.

Happy Holidays.
Wendell
If you look at shop manuals for other cars, domestic or imported, you will see the same info. It's not unique to the vette. I have never changed caliper bolts since my first disk brake car in 1966. However , changing them can't hurt, and I sure they are inexpensive.
As for the copper gasket, it ,like all gaskets, should be replaced after removal.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:45 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

No need to disgard or replace those parts.

I have my calipers off at least once a month to check the pads before I go to the track. I just clean the bolts with a wire brush and put auto-loctite on and torque to 125 ft-lbs.

and no they are not in-expensive, they are GM the bolt is $5.50 for a $1.00 bolt at a specialty bolts store

But if you feel you need to, no harm in changing them.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:21 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

I have my calipers off at least once a month to check the pads before I go to the track. I just clean the bolts with a wire brush and put auto-loctite on and torque to 125 ft-lbs.

and no they are not in-expensive, they are GM the bolt is $5.50 for a $1.00 bolt at a specialty bolts store

What he said

I do know of one person who had problems reusing his copper washers, but that is a rare occurance. Its probably better to replace them though, just for peace of mind.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Wcberry
Racer

Cruise-In VII Veteran

[QUOTE=corvette pilot]What he said

I got the calipers off and plan on shipping them to you next week. I will see if I can find some new copper washers locally for piece of mind, but the ones that came off do not look bad, not that they would.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:26 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I've done too many calipers to count and only changed the washers once or twice. The bolts never. Don't
Old 12-25-2005, 01:28 AM
99FewteRC5
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:
Originally Posted by 54greg
I've done too many calipers to count and only changed the washers once or twice. The bolts never. Don't
Old 12-25-2005, 04:32 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Brake Caliper Replacement Question

Quick Reply: C6 Brake Caliper Replacement Question