C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idiot street racers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 06:55 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Just remember….. what a fool can't have he despises.....
I have also found that the mustang drivers tend to be the worst.If there not being flip they won't even look your way.I say grow up and get a life.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:11 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Chaupacarba, always remember, your pilots license is just another license to go out and kill yourself. I've flown for 38 years, and within the past 5 years, have lost 4 friends in two crashes. Both instances, the PIC had illigal substances found in their blood. When I first began my flight training, like most young men, thought I was bullitproof. Did alot of crazy things and probably should have been killed more that once, so this is a 'do as I say, not as I did post'. My 15 year old son took his 1st lesson towards his private license last Sunday, and has another one this morning. He wants to go and fly jets in the USN, so I thought we'd start early and get him some experience. Overconfidence will hurt you quicker than anything. Good luck, be careful, and keep the blue side up.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 AM
franking50
Instructor

I couldn't agree more about those idiot ricer /mustang punks.I have found that if you pull up right next to that whale-tailed POS,look them right in the eye,and laugh your a.. off it pisses the hell out of them and you'll feel great!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:02 AM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jnx911
Ignore the moron.
- not worth my time or attention.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The other night a guy in a Chrysler 300, with the biggest chrome wheels I've ever seen on a car, along with some kind of funky blue lights on the under carriage, did the same with me.
We eneded up at a signal side by side. When the light turned green, he took off like a wild man. I just sat there thinking what a fool he was... to make matters even worse, it was raining like crazy and the idiot still wanted to street race.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:25 AM
THE LEGEND LIVES
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hodgeee
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE!?!?!? This kind of things have happened to me all the time since I started driving a Vette
Ahh, yes...the ol' "'vette effect"! Try to ignore 'em, as difficult as that may be, sometimes!

Originally Posted by Mocoso
California has the same clause.. slower traffic must stay right, left lane is to be used for passing. That is not a "perception" but part of the vehicle code.
...as do most states. There's a reason they put those neat little black and white signs on the freeway that say "Slower traffic keep right". They're not just for decoration...
Old 03-12-2006, 10:25 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

There are many reasons to buy a Vette, only one reason to buy a sedan with a monster engine...
Old 03-12-2006, 11:30 AM
ALFONSE
Burning Brakes

Haven't seen too much of that down here in Nashville, I've even had a couple of ricers give me a thumbs up! When I lived in the Chicago area it was a little different, maybe it's just a big city thing?
AL
Old 03-12-2006, 11:47 AM
tom p
Instructor

get used to it, from anything that rolls out there!!!
I think their mindset is if they get get in front of you it makes their pathetic egos feel a little better.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:55 PM
John Bravo
Racer

I hate those freekin MUSTANGS!
Old 03-12-2006, 01:56 PM
web1
Instructor

ha!...I've had guys in minivans over take me, I just figured that I'd stay within the speed limit and feel sorrow for the guy who felt tempted to challenge me with the family hauler, when I'd get to the teffic light, i'd look at him with a sorry look, then just rev my borlas, and drive off
Old 03-12-2006, 02:41 PM
nowheelie
Racer

Just be thankful that by some miracle he didn't cause a major accident, that all the sane drivers around him managed to keep it together, yourself included.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:57 PM
CaptSS
Instructor

Originally Posted by austinC6
Sorry, but that's a common ill conceived and rude notion that only generates road rage because of left lane hogs refusal to stop blocking others from getting past them. My right to pass you in the left lane, even if I'm exceeding the posted limit, comes from § 545.051 of the Texas Transportation Code (there are other, similar laws in other states). The law requires that all drivers "moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane."

So if you're doing the speed limit in the left lane and a line of cars is behind you waiting to pass, you are not only being rude, you are breaking the law.

Remember the saying: "Two wrongs don't make a right?" It's not your job to enforce the speed limits, which are kept below the normal speed of traffic because of poorly conceived environmental rules and the government's greedy desire to collect revenue from fines. Also, freeways are designed for very fast speeds; the design speed is usually higher than the legal limit.

Someone trying to obstruct traffic is creating a greater danger than a driver going faster than the artificially set limit.

While I agree with you that 545.051 of the Texas Transportation Code applies, 545.352 establishes that driving above the speed limit is unlawful. So, if I am in the "passing lane" and continue driving in that lane as I "pass" everyone in the center lane who is driving slower, I am in compliance with both sections of the code.

I never said it was my job to enforce the speed limit. You must have attempted to read in to something that was not there. But that's ok... happens all the time here! And I stand corrected as another post corrected me in that driving is not a right, but a privilege. And if someone driving the speed limit incites road rage in you, God help us.
Driving the speed limit is certainly not obstructing traffic. Driving under the speed limit or stopping your vehicle on the highway is.

I certainly agree highways are designed for faster speeds. However, there are mitigating circumstances that necessitate setting maximum speed limits such as weather, operating condition of your vehicle, operating conditions of other vehicles on the road (and we know 'vet owners take care of their cars.... not everyone else does!), potentials for obtructions and a host of other reasons. It's no secret your reaction time is less at higher speeds, so our government sets maximum speed limits. You are certainly welcome and encouraged to contact your Congressman about having the speed limit raised.

Now, to address your other comment... about being rude. I respect your opinion and will leave it at that.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:05 PM
windycity1
Intermediate

For some reason mustang guys are the worst. Just do what I do, look at the idiot and laugh. This always makes them pissed!
Old 03-12-2006, 03:14 PM
btc624
Instructor

just tell those kinds of guys that are bragging up a car like that and wants to race you that you will consider their offer when your car depreciates down to the value of their car!!!!!!!!!! and we all know by that time their (blue smoken jet) will be in the scrap yard.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:29 PM
hodgeee
Racer

Wow, lot of response, I guess a lot of you guys get the same thing.

OK, I will lay out the line on how I drive, and then you can flame me or agree or disagree, just describing my point of view. Have been driving a Vette since 2003. I grew up building motors in the garage with dad, and spending my time at the dragstrip, or the roadcoarses. I love power and speed, well, mostly just strong acceleration and cornering levels. I have taken a couple of racing schools, and attend drag racing and autocross events, entering most. Love car shows and driving, and riding motorcycles.

I lived in California and Texas, and both have had the passing lane rules, plus it is also common sense, and helps alleviate traffic, and you know what, I move over for faster drivers also, in response to that one bonehead response about the fast lane.

NO matter what the law is, people are gonna drive the speed that they are used to, regardless of the law or what others think. Hell, one state has no posted speeds on open freeways, just drive at a safe and reasonable speed. They even had a Highway patrol man say that minivan with kids doing 90 is a no no, but Mario Andretti in a Ferrari doing 100 with no traffic, was considered reasonable. The speeds in Vegas are 65 and 75mph on the freeways considering where you are, and sometimes 85 out in the open freeways in the desert. (Hell, after all testing for years have been done by the department of transportaion, it is proven that there are less problems and accidents on american freeways when the posted speed is higher, this is whay so many states again have 85mph limits) I do 80mph in the 75 zone when traffic permits, and 70 in the 65 zones, unless traffic is moving faster, rarely. When I drive to Cali, where the speedlimit is 85 on the way down there, I still do 80, YOU DRIVE AT WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE AT. I do this in my vette, but I do not when driving something like a big truck or whatnot, cause I do not feel comfortable at those levels, hell my jeep wrangler is a 65mph limit as far as I am concerned.

I love a car that goes over the mountain passes with no effort, just putts up the mountain. I have had some really nice cars that with 2 people in it, I had to floor it just to maintain the 75mph zone speed limits going up the mountains. Also say I came up to a light and I am in the left lane, but relize I need to be in the right lane to get on the freeway, it is great to just blast it up to 45 ahead of everyone else and easily get into my lane without having to effect others. This is why I love power and fast cars.

I believe in the method of driving and living my life by the means of, Do what you want, unless it effects someone else!

Cutting people off and swerving in and out of rush hour traffic is futile and stupid, plus it pisses everyone off and could cause an accident with someone who just wants to get home to his family. Those guys after driving all the way accross town are usually just 2 cars ahead of me at the exit I get off at. Another thing that bothers me, is these guys flooring it and doing 65 in their own neighborhoods where anyone can be out in the front yard, or kids playing in the street.

I have taken my car to 180mph once, out on the open road to laughlin, when there was not another car to be seen. I know stupid, one little problem and I would be dead, but I surely would not have done that around any body else, or with anyone else in my car. Like I said, as long as you do not effect others.

I have drag raced friends cars on open roads out in the middle of no where, cause they were willing to take the same risk as me, so if something does happen, that is their problem. These are the risks we take against ourselfs.

I know laws are laws, and right and wrong, but I will not lie about what I do. I mean common, everyone who has one of these cars has gotten on it from time to time, wether to pass another, zoom down a open on ramp, or feel the effortless cornering on a nice open winding road in the country side. Otherwise who the hell would buy this vehicle!?!?!?!? Nice to know I got it, but alas, I WILL NEVER USE IT! Bullcrap! And I write this for those that say, speeding is illegal, why do you need more power, why do you want better handling. I would love all those things wether it be on the track or the freeway. Not that I am going to utilize it around others, but it is really nice to know that your limits are so great on this vehicle that to avoid an accident or somehthing of that nature, you got the capability of protecting yourself without really even breaking a sweat.

I am not scared of my driving, and never have been, it is the other idiot out there. I am not condoning speeding and doing the wrong thing, I am just asking, why do people get okay about cutting off others on purpose, or blasting past another at 100mph in 35zone, where they will probably never see you coming when they cut you off, or just plain being rude to other people who did nothing to you.

What upsets me about these guys on the road, is that they are affecting everyone, raising insurance rates, scaring other drivers and causing injuries. When and where did these things come to be alright in their minds?

Like I said, Do whatever you want unless it effects others!(oops, I guess if I crashed at 180, it could help in the tally of higher insurance rates, so, sorry about that, I won't do it again!)
Old 03-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by windycity1
For some reason mustang guys are the worst. Just do what I do, look at the idiot and laugh. This always makes them pissed!
I find the BMW guy's to be just as bad as the Mustang guy's.

Get notified of new replies

To Idiot street racers!

Old 03-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
I find the BMW guy's to be just as bad as the Mustang guy's.
Oh, and the folks in the pick up trucks too... they're really bad... some really strange stuff must be running through their heads... the ones in the Dodges and Fords are the worst.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Chupacabra
Instructor

Originally Posted by EuroRod
Chaupacarba, always remember, your pilots license is just another license to go out and kill yourself. I've flown for 38 years, and within the past 5 years, have lost 4 friends in two crashes. Both instances, the PIC had illigal substances found in their blood. When I first began my flight training, like most young men, thought I was bullitproof. Did alot of crazy things and probably should have been killed more that once, so this is a 'do as I say, not as I did post'. My 15 year old son took his 1st lesson towards his private license last Sunday, and has another one this morning. He wants to go and fly jets in the USN, so I thought we'd start early and get him some experience. Overconfidence will hurt you quicker than anything. Good luck, be careful, and keep the blue side up.
Thanks for the luck, wisdom, and good wishes! I'm sorry to hear about your friends, that is a major downer. A friend of mine has lost three friends due to the exact same circumstances. A hopped-up pilot ended up in a cross-controlled stall turning base to final and they were all gone. Scary. Honestly, though, I'm about the most cautious "thrill seeker" I know. I plan and prepare things to death, and I don't take unnecessary chances. As for illegal substances, I'm a rare breed -- a tee-totaler musician! I've never been drunk, I average about one glass of champagne per year at special occasions, and illegal substances are something haven't tried and will never try. It's interesting how that has alienated me from some of the people I have traveled and played with, but I'm not standing over them with a ruler, so they have to let it go. It's just how I work. My addiction is excercise, and it IS an addiction because even today, sick as a dog, I went and rung myself out. Probably stupid, but I did feel better when I was done.

Good news about your son! I hope he does well and gets where he wants to go! I used to want to fly for the military, took some lessons at 10, but music took over completely around 13. Now that I have some free time and I'm a bit older, maybe slightly wiser, I have decided to get on it again! I LOVE it!
Old 03-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

You must live in a crazy area. My Corvette doesn't attract any of that kind of attention.. Thanks God.

You need to just let these idiots go on their way and pay no mind to them..

You are probably saying, "I don't pay any mind to them, BUT you did enough to write this post"

You need to let em go a chill

Quick Reply: Idiot street racers!