C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-19-2015, 02:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C6 Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
Short story. Took my C6 to Bubbles car wash for a hand wash and a wax yesterday. Sales guy does a double-take when I pull up and says, "is that the stock license plate bracket?" No, I say, it's aftermarket. Guy says, "that is the nicest one I have ever seen on a C6." Thanks, I say, it was the best one I could find. "Did you buy that frame that way or paint it yourself," he asks. Painted it myself with some GM touch-up spray I bought from a Chevy dealer, I tell him. "Very nice," he says. Second guy comes up and says, "I really like the way the plate is curved to follow the bumper." First guy says to third guy, "Hey, check out the front plate on this c6." I'm starting to think these guys are kissing up to get me to buy more services, but it did feel good. The Top Flight removeable bracket is unquestionably the best looking option out there for those of us in two plate states.

We agree! Thanks for the post.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:28 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=Indy-hp]Short story. Took my C6 to Bubbles car wash for a hand wash and a wax yesterday. Sales guy does a double-take when I pull up and says, "is that the stock license plate bracket?" No, I say, it's aftermarket. Guy says, "that is the nicest one I have ever seen on a C6." Thanks, I say, it was the best one I could find. "Did you buy that frame that way or paint it yourself," he asks. Painted it myself with some GM touch-up spray I bought from a Chevy dealer, I tell him. "Very nice," he says. Second guy comes up and says, "I really like the way the plate is curved to follow the bumper." First guy says to third guy, "Hey, check out the front plate on this c6." I'm starting to think these guys are kissing up to get me to buy more services, but it did feel good. The Top Flight removeable bracket is unquestionably the best looking option out there for those of us in two plate states.

Did you use a metal frame or plastic? I used a metal one similar to yours and had to elimnate the lock washers for the screws in order for it to fit. It still looks good, considering we have to use a front plate. I too sprayed the frame to match the MSM Z. Hope to have a pic soon. Great product.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Prankster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sucol4

I recieved my plate bracket last week:
Quality product
Great customer service thanks Peter and Ray
So easy to install it only took this gal about 15 minutes.
Looks great with the GM frame too!!! Really finishes off the look.
For a state that requires 2 plates this is diffinately the way to go.
I live in Ohio, a state that requires a front plate..based on the reponses this seem by far the best way to mount the front plate. I really should order one..I'm probably playing with fire but I chose not to put one on yet, I just don't like the front plate!!

Anyone know the fines for no front plate? I drive this car mostly in Michigan anyway (doesn't require one)..so I'm not all that worried about it, but if I start driving it in Ohio more I probably would have several tickets by now!

pkstr
Old 08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by Prankster
I live in Ohio, a state that requires a front plate..based on the reponses this seem by far the best way to mount the front plate. I really should order one..I'm probably playing with fire but I chose not to put one on yet, I just don't like the front plate!!

Anyone know the fines for no front plate? I drive this car mostly in Michigan anyway (doesn't require one)..so I'm not all that worried about it, but if I start driving it in Ohio more I probably would have several tickets by now!

pkstr
It varies by state. Some here have even reported that their state now classifies it as a moving violation with points attached! here in MD it's a straight $75 fine I believe...and they are REALLY cracking down here for the added revenue. Another member with a new Z06 got stopped twice in one week in MD. This is why I decided to go with the REMOVEABLE topflightrepro bracket - if you have to run one, this is the bracket to use IMHO. You can do a search on front plate to see what other info you can come up with.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Prankster
Racer

Originally Posted by vetdude
It varies by state. Some here have even reported that their state now classifies it as a moving violation with points attached! here in MD it's a straight $75 fine I believe...and they are REALLY cracking down here for the added revenue. Another member with a new Z06 got stopped twice in one week in MD. This is why I decided to go with the REMOVEABLE topflightrepro bracket - if you have to run one, this is the bracket to use IMHO. You can do a search on front plate to see what other info you can come up with.
If you live in a front license plate state..there's the cost justification right there! I really don't like having a front license plate..but this actually doesn't look too bad..will have to bite the bullet and get one of these.

It is absolutely terrible with 5-0's in Ohio..so I'm sure they love it if they can tack on another easy ticket. I don't know what their reasoning is to even have it, but I swear the real reason is so they have an easy target for their laser..***holes!! Fight back with a laser jammer!!

pkstr
Old 08-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Prankster
If you live in a front license plate state..there's the cost justification right there! I really don't like having a front license plate..but this actually doesn't look too bad..will have to bite the bullet and get one of these.

It is absolutely terrible with 5-0's in Ohio..so I'm sure they love it if they can tack on another easy ticket. I don't know what their reasoning is to even have it, but I swear the real reason is so they have an easy target for their laser..***holes!! Fight back with a laser jammer!!

pkstr
We'll take that as a compliment , Thank you. Let us know when you're ready, all three brackets are in stock.

Thanks
Peter C.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Received my Top Flight front license plate bracket (removable) today.
Very _impressed_ with the quality of build & materials along with the color instructions. I might add I did call Ray for pre-sale questions and got excellent support. Have not installed it yet, will report later when my 2007 is delivered. What I like about this is the look, the fact it is
centered & curved and can be stowed easily (for when I may be stopped and I say...oops, forgot to put it back on from the car show
Old 08-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Barry626
Advanced

Ray

Do post when u have color plates for "Atomic Orange".
Old 08-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Barry626
Ray

Do post when u have color plates for "Atomic Orange".
We'll let you know when the Atomic Orange GM colored frames are available.

Thanks
Peter C.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by siffert
Received my Top Flight front license plate bracket (removable) today.
Very _impressed_ with the quality of build & materials along with the color instructions. I might add I did call Ray for pre-sale questions and got excellent support. Have not installed it yet, will report later when my 2007 is delivered. What I like about this is the look, the fact it is
centered & curved and can be stowed easily (for when I may be stopped and I say...oops, forgot to put it back on from the car show
Thank you siffert, glad you like.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:51 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Finally got to take some snaps last night after work (took the vette to work yesterday; was a relief not to having to worry about LEOs pulling me over for no front tag for a change - I work in an area where it's not uncommon to see 4-6 LEO cars during lunch hour). With the tag removed, you'd never know it was there!
Name:  16e496a3.jpg
Views: 2602
Size:  40.6 KB
Name:  Z06_FRONT_TAG_081706013.jpg
Views: 2076
Size:  117.5 KB
Name:  9f30b876.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  100.8 KB

Hey Ray, have you guys thought making the brackets for the Didge Viper crowd? A coworker who has a Viper saw my bracket yesterday and he said he ansd a lot of his club memebers would be very interested. Just a thought. Thanks again for a great product.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

vetdude, that looks great , nice pics. Thanks for posting.

Peter C
Old 08-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter - PM sent with a couple of questions.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:09 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by Top Flight Reproductions
vetdude, that looks great , nice pics. Thanks for posting.

Peter C
Thanks. I like the looks better without it, but, that's the beauty of it - two wing nuts and it's off!!!! Damn two-plate law.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:08 PM
ydlee24
Racer

Does the removable plate just unscrew and comes off? Is the GM colored plate metal or rubber?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by ydlee24
Does the removable plate just unscrew and comes off? Is the GM colored plate metal or rubber?
The tag actually screws onto a metal bracket with the four screws you see in the picture. That bracket mounts to another metal bracket via two wing nuts. This bracket is attached to the underneath of the upper intake portion of the bumper. The GM Body Coloered licence plate frames are plastic. You can go to the website for info and installation instructions: www.topflightrepro.com
Old 08-20-2006, 12:39 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Top Flight Reproductions
Our customers say that the Top Flight C6 front license plate bracket is the best looking mount available. It follows the contour of the front bumper, easy to install, and is priced considerably lower than other after market solutions.

All three Top Flight Reproductions front license plate brackets are in stock and ready to ship. Visit our website at www.topflightrepro.com or call 781-279-1279 and ask for Ray.

Enjoy the weekend
Peter C.
Peter,

They work great with the color matched surrounds as well. Thanks for another great product and well above and beyond customer service.

Name:  100_4604.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  100_3473.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  100_3474.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  37.0 KB

Last edited by talon90; 08-20-2006 at 06:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Front License Plate Bracket

Old 08-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Looks great Paul Nice job on the install
Old 08-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Roadburner
Advanced

Originally Posted by talon90
Removable for me, the price difference was negligible and even though my state requires the plate, for shows and such now I have the option to remove it (very quickly I might add.)

Paul
How? How does it go on and off? Does it touch the paint? How is it held? I'm in CA and have, so far, avoided getting stopped.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:28 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Roadburner
How? How does it go on and off? Does it touch the paint? How is it held? I'm in CA and have, so far, avoided getting stopped.
You can see it in the bottom picture in post 81. The bracket is a right angle plate that the license plate attaches too. This right angle plate is attached to the underside of the nose with 3M double sided tape. So yes, it touches the paint at the point of adhesion. Bear in mind that when done properly this 3M tape can be removed from the painted (clearcoat) surface with no damage and without any witness marks. I am an Engineer in the graphics and label industry and use these types of tapes daily. Once the plate with tape is adhered to the surface the right angle plate attaches with two wing nuts. You can see the two posts showing above in the bottom picture. Let me know if you need anymore information. This is a great product made by and for Corvette people.

Paul

Quick Reply: C6 Front License Plate Bracket