C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Lost a Wrench Near DFW Airport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Chipps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who Lost a Wrench Near DFW Airport?

To whoever lost a wrench near DFW Airport between Fort Worth and Dallas Texas I have it. At least it was firmly embedded in my tire the last time I saw it.

The other day as I was cruising along the tire monitoring system said low tire pressure. Sure enough after I stopped, I heard the telltale hissing sound of a big hole in the tire. Having heard you could drive on these even with zero air pressure I was still a little reluctant to drive very far due to the loud noise coming from the tire. At that time of course I did not know a wrench was slapping around inside the tire.

I called the nearest dealer, who had no clue about how to fix or replace a runflat tire on a Corvette. This is from the largest dealer in the area, Classic Chevrolet. The service advisor also had no clue as to who could fix it. It seems a little odd to me that they have never dealt with such a thing. In any event I found the nearest runflat service center was Blagg Tire in downtown Grapevine. For those in the DFW area I will say that the shop is definitely unimpressive. But they indeed had runflat tires in stock. They had someone who could mount it without messing up the rim and the sensor. They even knew there was a warranty that covered the cost. Later I received a letter from them saying thanks for the business. At the bottom was a survey they requested I fill out. I did and they even responded to that. All in all a satisfactory experience. I recommend them, at least based on this.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:41 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Hope you got to keep the wrench... At least it is more useful than the beat-up nail I got in mine. I've dealt with Blagg many times and their sister store in Hurst (that does not have runflat capability). Nice folks. When I was there waiting Mr. Blagg himself came in to check things out. He's about 80 and still going strong and obviously cares about "his" stores. A genuine TX good-ol-boy!

Last edited by BigJoe; 09-29-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:23 PM
rtibbit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're in the DFW area, but on the east side, there's another family-owned tire shop that handles run flats in in Richardson, at 2161 E. Arapaho Road. The owner, Steve Christensen, drives a C6 himself. His shop has alway done great work for me. He's happy to handle tires purchased from Tire Rack, too.

Wayne
Old 09-29-2006, 05:11 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thank you for getting the wrench before me.....seriously, I get the strangest things in our tires around this area....Not sure why, but I notice a lot of construction traffic coming from the Dallas side on 114 towards Ft. Worth. There is a lot of construction going on up here north of Ft. Worth.

Todd
Old 09-29-2006, 05:13 PM
4CEE
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rtibbit
If you're in the DFW area, but on the east side, there's another family-owned tire shop that handles run flats in in Richardson, at 2161 E. Arapaho Road. The owner, Steve Christensen, drives a C6 himself. His shop has alway done great work for me. He's happy to handle tires purchased from Tire Rack, too.

Wayne
That's good to know. Does he do alignments? What's the cross street?

Picked up a small leaf spring from utility or small boat trailer once. It was trapped inside the tire like yours Chipps. Luckly I was in my truck and not my Vette.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Chipps
Instructor

I did not ask about alignments as I was in a hurry. I was not expecting to find a wrench in my tire. At least not on that day.

Blagg is located in downtown Grapevine. This is north of 114 on Main street. He is just past the railroad tracks on the south edge of the old downtown area.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:22 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

There is a Goodyear dealer in Cedar Hill on the south service road of U S 67 just past the intersection of FM 1382. Interesting note. I just priced replacement G Y run flats at both NTB and, Discount Tire. Only NTB in Weatherford had stock. Go figure ! The Discount Tire store on S Cooper in Arlington was lowest by $75 due to tax rate.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:17 PM
rtibbit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4CEE
That's good to know. Does he do alignments? What's the cross street?

Picked up a small leaf spring from utility or small boat trailer once. It was trapped inside the tire like yours Chipps. Luckly I was in my truck and not my Vette.
Christensen does alignments, too, with great results on my 350Z. The shop is just west of Jupiter Road.

Wayne
Old 10-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey, I was in DFW not too long ago.....was that a Craftsman 3/8 x 7/16 open end wrench?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 PM
hyperjoe
Instructor

Totally unrelated (car wise), but I once had a shift lever to a motorcycle embed itself in a tire on my old Trans Am.

JR
Old 10-03-2006, 11:06 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by rtibbit

Wayne
Wayne, have you had him price the OE tires? If he can match Discount Tire or NTB, I'd drive up there to buy from him rather than a major chain. Michael
Old 10-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Chipps
Instructor

No. 5/16" open end on one end. The other was ground down too far to tell for sure. I hope I do not find your wrench as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Who Lost a Wrench Near DFW Airport?

Quick Reply: Who Lost a Wrench Near DFW Airport?