C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy people out there!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:01 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Milford, CT ???

That's funny, I live on the Milford/ Orange line and I spend 99% of my time in Milford... maybe he thought you were me! Anyway, can you better describe the van/ driver to me, so I can keep an eye out?

I can tell you, if that were me, I would have had my hand by my hip the entire time...
Old 10-20-2006, 03:22 PM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Well said!
I'm tired of hearing excuses for poor behavior (maybe he's an alcholic, right). Some people are born and/or raised to be no good. There is a right and wrong in this world and 99.999999% of the people know the difference.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:28 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,604 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Well handled. I might have kept on pumping while I called 911 on my cell phone...
Old 10-20-2006, 03:29 PM
degaux
Drifting

Originally Posted by CessnaDriver
More people these days so more kooks. Just breaks down that way.

None of them worth anyones time and likely dangerous.

As said in Monty Python and the Holy Grail....

Run away!, Run away!
..."...nonsense. It's just a flesh wound..."
Old 10-20-2006, 03:31 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the problem with treating a fellow like this as a bear in woods or a pothole is this guy is a human living in your neighborhood. A bear in the woods is just doing what comes natural and the pothole, well it is just there. If you let some moron like this run all over you he will do it worse the next time.

Best defense against a bully is to stand up to them. I am not talking about fighting the guy, just telling him to leave you alone will usually be all it takes. If it escalates from there it probably would escalate anyway. I just look at this crazy world a little different I suppose. Don't get me wrong I do respect people brave enough to be true pacifists. But it is not for me.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:33 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

You did the right thing and avoided a possible bad situation. How far did you get on a $1.30 worth of gas? haha.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:49 PM
mbonness
Pro

Default Nissan 350Z

The craziest thing I have seen recently is a guy in a silver Nissan 350Z who I have had a couple encounters with now.

1. The first time he was cruising around with another guy on a motorcycle late at night looking for trouble, he started revving his engine next to me, I didn't take the bait so he gave me a thumbs down and drove away.

2. The second time, he got in front of me and showed off by passing the car in front of him illegally using the right turn lane, then almost caused an accident trying to turn left across a four-lane highway, all I heard were brakes squealing and car horns.

Next time I see this guy who gets so excited every time he sees my car it causes him to drive like an idiot I think I will invite him to the local dragstrip...
Old 10-20-2006, 04:07 PM
jklarkpimp
Melting Slicks

its basically just jealousy.........the guy is driving a freakin mini van.......and you are in an exotic sports car.......get used to people staring....admiring........and hating........ugly part of human nature.......part of having a yellow c6........
Old 10-20-2006, 04:10 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by guysair11
I was driving down route 1 in milford ct last Thursday afternoon in my 06 velocity yellow coupe when a full size Chevy van pulls up next to me revs his engine and flies away then slows up till i come along side of him and does it again as i approach a traffic light i end up alongside of this nut and he starts the whole process over again as he flies off i pull into a gas station to fill up and this guy turns his van around comes into the gas station and proceeds to curse me out for having a f---n vette and how i thought i was hot sh-t and all, he must have said hot sh-t 5 times while i proceed to put the hose away after pumping in about $1.30 worth of gas and he screams at me to show him my engine this guys face was bright red he then opens his hood to show me his... at which time i climb into my car and take off, he did not follow thank god, let me state that i was not driving aggressively and tried not to antagonize this guy at all, I'm not usually so passive when confronted but this guy scared the hell out of me! Is it the car? the color? or just me? or are there allot of mentally ill people out there...
Knowing me... he would have had an even worse day the 2nd time he cursed at me!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:30 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You did the right thing, people like that can't be delt with rationally.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Fastronaut
CF Senior Member Emeritus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You handled this correctly. I keep a pad and pen in the glove compartment to record tag numbers of folks like this. The way he was acting, it sounds like wreckless driving at a minimum.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:47 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some drivers are just plain jealous of us C6 owners.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
Some drivers are just plain jealous of us C6 owners.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shurite44
Well the problem with treating a fellow like this as a bear in woods or a pothole is this guy is a human living in your neighborhood. A bear in the woods is just doing what comes natural and the pothole, well it is just there. If you let some moron like this run all over you he will do it worse the next time. Best defense against a bully is to stand up to them...
That makes sense, and IF the guy was truly intelligent and rational (and just being a dick), perhaps standing up to him would help put him in his place and make him think twice next time.

BUT, when you are dealing with mentally ill or mentally deficient people, they do NOT think rationally the way you might. Please repeat the word "ill" to yourself a few times... understand what it means. Some of these people are truly "sick"... their brains do not function the way you would expect. "Standing up" to someone like this could result in a very bad situation. They could either KILL you, OR, you might wind up hurting THEM, only to find out later that they ARE truly mentally handicapped and perhaps missed their meds (causing unreasonable behavior)... and then you'll be looking at a law suit and will feel pretty dumb on top of it.

I'm not saying everyone should be a total pacifist and let bullys walk all over them, but the wisest move is to let the authorites handle things like this. Drive away and call the police if you feel the person is truly a danger to others.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Stangar
Racer

Trust me. You don't need a Corvette to attract nuts. They are everywhere and appear mostly on Fridays at rush hour. Watch out for Fridays as the nut house lets 'em loose for the weekend.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Big D's
Racer

Thats Why I Carry A Baseball Bat In My Vette For A..holes Like That!!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:14 PM
lcbiiimd
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 69 Posts

That's kind of funny - its like the guys in the Dodge Magnums who want to race you - I don't care if you have a hemi or whatever it is, you are still driving a station wagon!!!

This is why its good to have a concealed carry permit...

Get notified of new replies

To Crazy people out there!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:37 PM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VET, very well said!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:57 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The tenth commandment, I believe, is 'Thou shall not covet'. This is good advice. This guy was red faced with rage at what you had and he didn't. You apparently have exactly what he wants. This happens with women sometimes too though I don't consider them ever worth fighting for. Cars maybe, dogs maybe, women no. You handled this situation perfectly except that perhaps you might have called the police. Maybe. If he had followed you for sure.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Monterrey Bill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Vet

As well, there truly ARE a lot of mentally ill people out there. It's important to remember that they are ILL. Try not to get mad at them, it only makes things way worse.

Treat a "crazy" person the way you would a bear in the woods. If you encounter a bear, you don't start cursing at it etc, but instead you do your best to keep the situation under control, keep the bear as calm as possible and then try to get the heck out of there... and then even call authorities if deemed necessary.

Or... like a person who is mentally retarded... you cannot blame them for inappropriate actions, you can only try to help them if possible, and ultimately do your best to keep everyone happy in the end.

I think it's really important that people understand these concepts.

Inconsiderate and mentally ill people are simply unavoidable hazards of the road... just like deer, potholes, black ice, etc, etc, etc. So you need to treat them as such, meaning do not get angry, just do your BEST to avoid or escape the situation with minimal loss to yourself and any other people / property around you.

Very Well Said

Quick Reply: Crazy people out there!