C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy people out there!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:29 PM
torch2000vert
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That why hand guns were invented.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 PM
TwistedAphid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by torch2000vert
That why hand guns were invented.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Jeff2
Advanced

Default Skeedaddle

Growing up in L.A. I learned early on how to deal with these situations: get the heck out of Dodge.

The specific motivations behind his behavior are largely irrelevant - I would focus on minimizing his impact on me rather than on psychoanalyzing and curing him.

Once he started driving erratically I would have slowed down and taken evasive manuevers (i.e. other routes). I don't know where you were going, but I doubt it was worth risking your safety for a timely arrival. If he continued to follow me, I would have called 911 and had them use my cell phone GPS to locate me. I would drive to a police station if I knew of one in the area.

As far as hurting someone that is mentally ill, I doubt that will be a factor in any legal proceedings unless you have been trained to identify mental illness. Focus on your own self defense and document as many details as you can and I am sure it will all come out in the wash if the law gets involved.

Getting physical with him would seem to be the least attractive option. He may have a communicable disease or already be a fugitive with nothing to lose. Even if you get off scot free, there will plenty of paperwork and meetings to waste your time. It will only be worth it if the other option was spend time in the hospital as well.

I would not hestiate to use the tools (Vette) at my disposal. If a short and safe application of power and agility would put him in my past, I would make it so.

If you were in your home area, I would record as many details as you can for later use should the situation escalate. License plates numbers, locations and times can be very useful. This is the most troubling circumstance as this nutjob could descend on you at any time without warning.

I'll be taking delivery of my VY coupe this week and this is one of my worst fears about it. In the end I chose to live the life I wanted and let the chips fall where they may.

Have fun.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:55 PM
jperaino
Instructor

You should have gotten his plate number, found out who he is and put a contract out on him.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by turbo_tom
Milford, CT ???

That's funny, I live on the Milford/ Orange line and I spend 99% of my time in Milford... maybe he thought you were me! Anyway, can you better describe the van/ driver to me, so I can keep an eye out?

I can tell you, if that were me, I would have had my hand by my hip the entire time...

What gas station were you at on Rt.1...? Mobil, Cuberland Farms, Sunoco...???
Old 10-21-2006, 03:30 AM
Gov'sGuy
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

The car attracts nuts and I'm sure we've all had a little bit of this, but every time I run into a nut who's attracted by the car I have to remember the 100's of people who pulled over when they saw me coming in the rear view mirror.

There are a certainly few nuts out there but there's also a lot of good people on the road too.

Al
Old 10-21-2006, 03:36 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gov'sGuy
There are a certainly few nuts out there but there's also a lot of good people on the road too.

Al
True, but the problem is the good guys rarely enter the radar, but the bad guys come flashing on like some good chaff.

I have many corvette meets idiot storys. But one of the best was a moron at Wallmart who came up behind my car and smashed his fist on the rear deck.

I get out of the car to see if he hurt it and he wants to fight me. My gf and I decide to just park and go in. He jumps in his car and pulls around real fast and blocks our entrance into the store. Then he and his wife jump out and want to fight.

No kidding but it is funny.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:45 AM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by lcbiiimd
This is why its good to have a concealed carry permit...

I always have my friends Smith and Wesson with me when I got out. Sometimes you never know what the right thing to do will turn out to be......
Old 10-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

happened to me too.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:04 AM
KENZ51
Drifting

Originally Posted by rosemaryburm
It is a well-known fact that yellow attracts all sorts of insect life.
after all, it IS tha Fastest Color!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:14 AM
us2bsrt
Pro

Milford, CT ???

That's funny, I live on the Milford/ Orange line and I spend 99% of my time in Milford... maybe he thought you were me! Anyway, can you better describe the van/ driver to me, so I can keep an eye out?

I can tell you, if that were me, I would have had my hand by my hip the entire time...
I guess I should start carrying my off-duty when i go to Wolf Pack games huh???
Old 10-21-2006, 09:31 AM
jcortney
Pro

Ok, there are a few "truths" here you have to deal with.

1st. There are people (term used loosely) that have an intelligence level slightly above plant life. They should not be permitted to breed.

2nd. This guy is likely to be a candidate for a "Darwin Award" and thankfully will fulfill number 1.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:42 AM
guysair11
Instructor

What gas station were you at on Rt.1...? Mobil, Cuberland Farms, Sunoco...???
turbo he was in a newer Chevy 3500 navy blue van he was white and wearing what looked like old fashioned safety glasses like we used to were in shop class the gas station was the one next to the Merritt pkwy entrance across from the old RV place. I should have gotten his plate # but i just wanted to diffuse the situation, I'm usually never intimidated but this was a whole different feeling something was definitely wrong you could just feel it... Hope to see you around thanks for the feedback
Old 10-21-2006, 11:44 AM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by guysair11
turbo he was in a newer Chevy 3500 navy blue van he was white and wearing what looked like old fashioned safety glasses like we used to were in shop class the gas station was the one next to the Merritt pkwy entrance across from the old RV place. I should have gotten his plate # but i just wanted to diffuse the situation, I'm usually never intimidated but this was a whole different feeling something was definitely wrong you could just feel it... Hope to see you around thanks for the feedback

Ok, that's probably 'Patriot Fuels", the old Amaco... he might have been blasted at the time...? Anyway, are you local to Milford?
Old 10-21-2006, 12:09 PM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

do like fast and the furious 3 tokyo drift and do a donut burn-out around him and then stop and look at him and drive away.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:21 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had an interesting experience Wednesday night. I was driving along KY56 at night. This is a twisty road, it had been raining, and I was doing about 20 over the limit (75 in a 55). Suddenly I see a pair of headlights coming up on me fast. I'm thinking cop, so I ease off down to the limit. When it gets right up on me I can tell it is a truck, so I pick up the pace. Soon I'm pushing pretty hard considering the road is wet, and this guy is still right on my bumper (drops back some in the curves but closes back up on the straightaways). Finally we hit a town and a 4 lane section, and this Ford Lightning pulling a horse trailer blows right by me. I go, "What the hell?" Maybe the horses were helping, but this guy was fast, faster than I wanted to go considering conditions. I don't think he was trying to race, he was just in a hell of a hurry. I honestly don't know how he kept that rig on the road. I was seeing AH kick in on some of the turns.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:10 PM
jklarkpimp
Melting Slicks

like i said before its jealousy or maybe he just wanted to see how fast your car could go

Get notified of new replies

To Crazy people out there!

Old 10-21-2006, 03:22 PM
bocabob
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by everjeff
Heh you definately handled yourself alot better than I probably would have.
me three!..

Dude.. do this next time..

I would have gone in to the mini mart, while pumping the GAS, bought two hot dogs smothered in musturd, walk out, told the guy nice van, looked at his 'engine', asked him if he wanted a hot dog, then shoved hot dog one up his nose at 90 mph......walked back to my corvette, eating hot dog two and continued to have a nice day,,, just my 2 cents worth..

In reality, I get this friggin crap all the time. Its the car, its you, it jealosy, its I dont know what... dude, you drive a bitchen car and some dudes dont like that FACT.... You have what they cant, for what ever reasons.. Mother negected them when they were 2 or what ever.... just stand your ground and be the man... they are not worth crap IMHO....

BOCA
Old 10-21-2006, 03:24 PM
bocabob
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jperaino
You should have gotten his plate number, found out who he is and put a contract out on him.
jeez dude.. whats your number so I can call for back up when in this sit-u-a-tion..
Old 10-21-2006, 03:28 PM
bocabob
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KENZ51
after all, it IS tha Fastest Color!!!
jeez.. wanna race a DSOM?.. WE have the fastest color..

Quick Reply: Crazy people out there!