C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless entry and Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:17 AM
C5pilot
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Near Miss
I have had the locks fail twice, leaving me stranded both times. A true key lock backup would have been a blessing. I don't mean to just get into the car, but a key that would actually start the car.
That would defeat the purpose of lowering the cost of parts and deterring theft. Which brings another question to mind which I'll post in another thread if a search reveals nothing.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:33 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by CessnaDriver
Yes its very convienient and cool.
No fumbling with keys anymore.
A great feature. Would not want to go back.
I would never want to use a key again. Next to active handling it's one of the best standard features ever offered on a new Corvette.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:53 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C5pilot
That would defeat the purpose of lowering the cost of parts and deterring theft. Which brings another question to mind which I'll post in another thread if a search reveals nothing.
The keyless ignition doesn't lower costs. $69 for a replacement fob from an internet discounter like Fred Beans versus 99 cents for a new key at your local hardware store, $385 for a replacement module from the same discounter versus $17.95 for a new lock cylinder from NAPA. Etc, etc, etc. Keys are simple, cheap, and reliable. They aren't subject to electronic interference, they don't bake out components due to heat, they aren't affected by static electricity. Etc, etc, etc. Keys and locks are mature technologies that have been around virtually unchanged for centuries because they're functional, reliable, and inexpensive. They aren't bulky in your pocket, they're simple to use, etc.

The key for my 1966 Olds still works as well as it did the day I purchased the car, same for the key of my 1978 Ford truck. Can you say the same for any piece of electronic equipment you own? Electronics is more reliable than it was in the 1960s and 1970s, but it still contains mechanical switches as well as the electronics, and a battery, the sum will always be less reliable than either alone, and more expensive too.

I'm all for innovation when it is an improvement over existing technology, but the innovation has to be a significant improvement while not compromising reliability and longevity. I don't think that the keyless ignition system in our cars meets that criteria. While we might be willing to give up some reliability and durability for some of the creature comfort features on our cars, power seats, power windows, elaborate stereos, etc, we shouldn't be willing to compromise reliability for the basics such as being able to open the door or start the engine.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Monts
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shopdog,

Although I am an ardent fan of the keyless entry system, and would not want to go back, your post does bring up the disadvantages and shortcomings of the new system.

So far, personally, I've only experienced the benefits, freedom and ease-of-use. To me it is worth the additional cost. If the unit malfunctions, hopefully it is a warranty issue.

If history is any guide, (think mechanical adding machines versus electronic calculators) prices and reliability of these electronic systems typically go down, have less weight than use fewer resources than their mechanical counterparts, while reliability goes up.

While your post was persuasive, my vote still is with the new system.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:57 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
Keys and locks are mature technologies that have been around virtually unchanged for centuries because they're functional, reliable, and inexpensive.
I respect your view, and have a lot of the same inclinations, however, I'll just say two things, and then leave it alone:

* Slidehammer
* Keybumping

I like my new security system.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:14 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm all for innovation when it is an improvement over existing technology, but the innovation has to be a significant improvement while not compromising reliability and longevity. I don't think that the keyless ignition system in our cars meets that criteria. While we might be willing to give up some reliability and durability for some of the creature comfort features on our cars, power seats, power windows, elaborate stereos, etc, we shouldn't be willing to compromise reliability for the basics such as being able to open the door or start the engine.
If people thought this way, most of us would still be using dial up for internet service. Why not??? It worked fine when we were using it. We wouldn't even be driving cars, we would still be in horse drawn wagons and buggys. Less dependance on foreign oil and all the headaches we have encountered with it.

...Keys and locks are mature technologies that have been around virtually unchanged for centuries because they're functional, reliable, and inexpensive.
So were smoke signals and drum beats. They were very "mature" and most certainly "reliable". But I am not willing to give up my cell phone to go back to those, just because I drop a call now and then.

...They aren't bulky in your pocket, they're simple to use, etc.
Well again, so were smoke signals. All you really needed was a book of matches as opposed to a key FOB. But smoke signals, just like keys, have their limitations.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-22-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Sven
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You have no idea how handy it is to not fumble for a key, select the proper one, jab it into the hole (so to speak) when it's dark, before pulling the door handle...only to repeat for the ignition.

One word: "YES!"

Last edited by Sven; 10-22-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Monts
Shopdog,

Although I am an ardent fan of the keyless entry system, and would not want to go back, your post does bring up the disadvantages and shortcomings of the new system.

So far, personally, I've only experienced the benefits, freedom and ease-of-use. To me it is worth the additional cost. If the unit malfunctions, hopefully it is a warranty issue.

If history is any guide, (think mechanical adding machines versus electronic calculators) prices and reliability of these electronic systems typically go down, have less weight than use fewer resources than their mechanical counterparts, while reliability goes up.

While your post was persuasive, my vote still is with the new system.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:36 PM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like the pushbutton start/stop and have gotten used to keyless entry over the past year - both are cool features.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
If people thought this way, most of us would still be using dial up for internet service. Why not??? It worked fine when we were using it. We wouldn't even be driving cars, we would still be in horse drawn wagons and buggys. Less dependance on foreign oil and all the headaches we have encountered with it.

So were smoke signals and drum beats. They were very "mature" and most certainly "reliable". But I am not willing to give up my cell phone to go back to those, just because I drop a call now and then.

Well again, so were smoke signals. All you really needed was a book of matches as opposed to a key FOB. But smoke signals, just like keys, have their limitations.
The same holds true for the F55 Selective Ride Suspension... it's fantastic technology! No way would I go back to the Fred Flintstone Flintmobile era
Old 10-22-2006, 05:46 PM
thaisch
Cruising

Originally Posted by TCW
It's a cheap gimmick I'd expect to see on a Japanese car.

It will disappear like the column lock assembly. The key and switch will be back on the C7.

Tom
You gotta be kidding...
The keyless is functional and has a very cool wow factor. I think its a really practical feature. I love it.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
The same holds true for the F55 Selective Ride Suspension... it's fantastic technology! No way would I go back to the Fred Flintstone Flintmobile era
100% The F55 shock absorbers are a technological marvel.

Too bad Chevy didn't give the F55 equipped C6 a set of ................................ .............................
........................................ .......:......................... .
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ...................................... ........................................ ........................................ ........

gears.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:35 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've gotten used to mine and like it.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

100% The F55 shock absorbers are a technological marvel.

Too bad Chevy didn't give the F55 equipped C6 a set of
gears.
If you would take the time to do some remedial research, at minimum, any other intelligent individual would easily come to the realization that this is not merely about "shock absorbers"... But I respect your need to stay in the "stone-age"... I promise not to beat up on you anymore on this issue...but it's realy about those holes in the rotor's isn't it? cmon... "Man-Up" and admit it

Last edited by Jimbeaux; 10-22-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:45 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
If you would take the time to do some remedial research, at minimum, any other intelligent individual would easily come to the realization that this is not merely about "shock absorbers"... But I respect your need to stay in the "stone-age"... I promise not to beat up on you anymore on this issue...but it's realy about those holes in the rotor's isn't it? cmon... "Man-Up" and admit it
Naw, its deeper than that. The F55 now has holes in it's rotors, so it goes much deeper than that. I am surprised that you haven't figured it out yet.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Naw, its deeper than that. The F55 now has holes in it's rotors, so it goes much deeper than that. I am surprised that you haven't figured it out yet.
When you picked up your 05 Z51 "option", they were the only one's that came with holes... I almost fell into that trap too until I did some simple reseacrh... some folks, like you, were really turned on by the holes..."man up and admit it" you're into holes!

Last edited by Jimbeaux; 10-22-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Holes....... why are we talking about holes We don't need any more key holes in our doors .............. anyway I am spoiled I wish all our cars had push button start & a FOB even though Shopdog insists they will eventually fail............... repeat after me ............... THE CUP IS HALF FULL

Get notified of new replies

To Keyless entry and Push button start

Old 10-22-2006, 10:24 PM
midyearvettes
Intermediate

Default Keyless

I Love Mine!
Old 10-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

As a matter of fact, I think the holes in the rotors are cool too... so when it comes time to replace the rotor's, I will go with the one's with holes! Damn, an F55 with cross drilled rotors? who would have thunk it?... rofl:
Old 10-22-2006, 10:53 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are a strange dude. Smoke signals don't work at night, when it is raining, beyond line of sight, in places lacking firewood, etc. They're a very slow and insecure way to pass information. Even in the 3rd century AD, people were desperately searching for faster, more reliable, and more secure forms of communications. The Romans came up with the idea of heliograph relay tower networks, and postal roads, with the messages encrypted with ciphers. Until the 19th century, that was the best technology available for passing messages over great distances. The Navy and Air Force still use a variation of the heliograph when EMCON security is paramount or for reliable functioning when battle damage puts other methods out of commission. They also still make use of couriers when security is paramount. They are time proven robust methods that aren't vulnerable to phone taps, hackers, or radio interception.

Consider other mature technologies like the lever, the inclined plane, the wheel. We still use these very mature and basic technolgies. We drive cars with wheels rather than driving hovercraft for the very good reason that hovercraft have severe disadvantages when going up a hill or turning a corner (nice over water, though, but another mature technology called a boat can also address that niche). When we want to cut something, we make use of the inclined plane (knife blade, axe blade, saw blade, etc) rather than some internet enabled gizmo, because to do otherwise would be ludicrous. We still use pry bars, hammers, etc in forms little changed from the Roman era. Why? Because they're mature technologies that work very well. You could throw all sorts of radio frequency computerized gadgets at the problem of driving or extracting a nail, but it would be ludicrous.

Same with keys and locks. The basic technology was fully developed by the 14th century, and has changed hardly at all since then because it works better than anything else. Simple, robust, reliable, convenient, and inexpensive. That's a virtually unbeatable combination of attributes.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry and Push button start