C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am getting tired of dbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Default I am getting tired of dbs

Got hit tonight, all dressed up ready to take the vette to a party. Hit the push start, went back 5 feet in reverse on driveway and then just like that it died.. Cold a$$ weather doesn't help (25 mile per hour winds and 25 degrees...burrrrr). It's saturday night and I got stuck. I am dying to find out why it doesn't start. If it's the battery it's the 3rd one from GM due too DBS. I tried to start it with heavy duty portable starter to no availe......Grrrrrrr...A basball bat to the C6 would make the pain go away at this moment..Sorry but I had to vent...
Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upgrading the BCM (body control module) firmware has fixed mine. Take it to the dealer and have them zap it.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Sir;
I assume you have an 05', MN6. Simply go to your dealer & obtain the re-flash of the ECM. GM issued this fix for dead batteries in September of 06'.
Best of Luck!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:28 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Jbal
Sir;
I assume you have an 05', MN6. Simply go to your dealer & obtain the re-flash of the ECM. GM issued this fix for dead batteries in September of 06'.
Best of Luck!
Thanks, will do. Dbs Just follows me...
Old 01-20-2007, 09:28 PM
V4Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by welcome2try
Got hit tonight, all dressed up ready to take the vette to a party. Hit the push start, went back 5 feet in reverse on driveway and then just like that it died.. Cold a$$ weather doesn't help (25 mile per hour winds and 25 degrees...burrrrr). It's saturday night and I got stuck. I am dying to find out why it doesn't start. If it's the battery it's the 3rd one from GM due too DBS. I tried to start it with heavy duty portable starter to no availe......Grrrrrrr...A basball bat to the C6 would make the pain go away at this moment..Sorry but I had to vent...
What is dbs?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:31 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

That sucks! I live in Canada and actually took mine out today (cuz I had to). It was -9C and started fine. Could the setup be different for Canada?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

DBS is "dead battery syndrome" coined here on the Corvette Forum. Some maintain that it is particular to '05 MN6 cars.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:39 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Steve Germany
DBS is "dead battery syndrome" coined here on the Corvette Forum. Some maintain that it is particular to '05 MN6 cars.
Mine is in fact the 05 z-51 MZ6..Grrrrr this is like the 5th time,, it always happens on the weekend, when the dealers are closed
...Even more Grrrrrrrr...
Old 01-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Mine is in fact the 05 z-51 MZ6..Grrrrr this is like the 5th time,, it always happens on the weekend, when the dealers are closed
...Even more Grrrrrrrr...

Just bring it in for the firmware upgrade and life will be good again!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSurferC6
That sucks! I live in Canada and actually took mine out today (cuz I had to). It was -9C and started fine. Could the setup be different for Canada?
I'm guessing no at least in relation to the so-called DBS. The majority of 2005 C6 MN6 owners do not have any dead battery issues whatsoever, including myself (knock on wood).

Do be aware if you've had any custom tune the re-flash will overwrite it.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Most likley NOT DBS.
DBS will generally not let you start the car at all, as the battery is already stone dead.

The car is left or properly shut down in reverse?

First of all has the charging system been checked and the battery load tested?
I assume nothing was left on, and the car is driven enough to keep the battery up.
I assume there are no aftermarket items that could drain the battery while the car sits, such as lojack or radar detector.

The new BCM reflash can't hurt, but most likely something else is going on with your car or battery.

Can you give us details on your other dead battery episodes?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I'm guessing no at least in relation to the so-called DBS. The majority of 2005 C6 MN6 owners do not have any dead battery issues whatsoever, including myself (knock on wood).

Do be aware if you've had any custom tune the re-flash will overwrite it.

DSB has been reported anywhere from 25-35% of forum '05 MN6 owners. So you're right about the majority.

The BCM is not affected by a tune. That's the ECM, as I recall.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:56 PM
mau
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I used to believe this also. That is until it happened to me(twice in a year). Haven't been in for the dealer re flash. I had read earlier reports of this not fixing anything?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mau
I used to believe this also. That is until it happened to me(twice in a year). Haven't been in for the dealer re flash. I had read earlier reports of this not fixing anything?
Only rare forum report of any dead battery after the reflash.
And nothing to suggest that it doesn't work.
Yet.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:39 AM
KevinDavid
Burning Brakes

After 3 batteries, the problem is definitely not the battery itself.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:49 AM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

if your car had already started, how could it be dbs? you can take a battery out of a car once it starts.....
Old 01-21-2007, 05:17 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When my 05 z51 MZ6 had a dead battery syndrome episode it wouldnt even open the doors. When you tried to start it the gauges went dead. This was after a 2 day sit.
After a New battery and BCM reflash and it has sat for 10 straight days and started right up. No voltage loss on the battery if you tested with a Voltmeter. I even opened the doors and closed them a few times in that 10 days.
Sounds like you may have something else going on.
Still, I would have the BCM Reflash. Have them check the Alternator output too.
If you have any add on electronics I would take them off to troubleshoot.
Ipod thing is Bad and I've heard Lojack is Bad and causes Dead Batteries.
I want the Lojack so I may get it and see if it really causes DBS after the reflash. If it does then I will remove it.
Good Luck, it will work out in the end.

Get notified of new replies

To I am getting tired of dbs

Old 01-21-2007, 06:06 AM
lvjetboy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh well just be happy. It's a Corvette with amazing performance nothing else matters.

jer
Old 01-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Check 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Most likley NOT DBS.
DBS will generally not let you start the car at all, as the battery is already stone dead.

The car is left or properly shut down in reverse?

First of all has the charging system been checked and the battery load tested?
I assume nothing was left on, and the car is driven enough to keep the battery up.
I assume there are no aftermarket items that could drain the battery while the car sits, such as lojack or radar detector.

The new BCM reflash can't hurt, but most likely something else is going on with your car or battery.

Can you give us details on your other dead battery episodes?
I agree "DBS" will cause the battery to drain down to aproximately 3 volts somewhere between 36 and 48 hours after you last shut it down properly. If you were able to start the car that meant your battery still had sufficient cranking power. then assuming it did not quit because you accidently stalled it, ie allowed the clutch to come outwith no gas, you most likely have another problem possilbe fuel starvation and if it was colsd and damp could be ice in the fuel line. Either way most likely not DBS. That said I agree with Hoonose, take it to your dealer explain the conditions as detailed and objectively as possible. there is a check list for them to follow if DBS is suspected and the last item is to re-flash the software in the ecm. Mine was done in August and since then NO PROBLEM. Good luck, I will admit no mechanical problem is fun and they always happen at the wrong time.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by KevinDavid
After 3 batteries, the problem is definitely not the battery itself.
Thank you. Everyone wants to blame the battery. The battery is the result not the cause. That being said, DBS does have a big impact on battery life, because it is not designed to take that abuse. if you want to keep running it dead and recharging it, get an Optima Yellow Top.

Quick Reply: I am getting tired of dbs