C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving a C6 in Snow-What is your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:02 AM
zach lawrence
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone through 2 Chicago winters with my 2005 MN6 coupe daily driver, and am starting the third one. I purchased a set of comp grey wheels on Ebay for $600 and mounted four Blizzaks (225/45-18 front and 255/40-19 rear). Never had any problems.

Of course, the snows don't hook up, even in the dry, so you have to go easy off the line. One going, go-stop-turn is ok. Of course, you have to adjust for less traction than OE tires in the summer, but it is a good driving lesson.

I say go for it. The looks on other people's faces as you motor along in your "summer" car are priceless.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:35 AM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Autoweek had an article about the differences in FWD, RWD, and AWD in snow. Link to full article.

Biggest myth about Rear-drive is that it is useless in snow. The No. 1 way to improve your car's traction and handling is to install a good set of winter rubber. Learning to drive properly in winter conditions is also at the top of the list. And since most modern rear-drive vehicles feature traction and/or stability control, you'll amaze your passengers with how easily your car handles Old Man Winter.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:54 PM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I once had to move the C4 with snow on the road- never again!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:40 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 349 Posts

Talk to tire rack. I got AS tires & in 2-3 of snow it's fine . PS leave the nanny controls ON!! It's good that you are driving it & not hiding it!!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I drove mine to work last Monday in snow and ice. It was no worse then my 97 Cobra was in the snow.

THe following applies if there is less then 3" of snow on the road (this is the most I have driven in so far). If you go slow you are fine. The only problem I had was with with two areas where the road has a slight incline. In these areas the rear started to walk out to the left a little bit. The only thing to do is let off the gas (a little bit) and keep moving up the incline even if you are a little sideways . However, if the incline is too steep or you let off the gas too much you are NOT going anywhere.

With that being said, if you have another driving option you should use it.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my Z51 MN6 since 6/05, and I did notice tire slip with OEM supercar tires. I bought a gently used set of wheels from a fellow forum member and the Goodyear All-Season EMTs, with tire pressure sensors from Fred Beans. It is expected that you will have to buy new tires at some point, so instead of wearing out one set and replacing it, I use 2 sets with different purposes and get more use out of the car. I noticed a significant improvement in traction, as the summer tire compound is just too brittle for good traction in cold weather. I have driven in the snow and it's not bad, either as long as you drive with a little common sense. The active handling and traction control is priceless in the winter.

Here's to seat heaters!

Last edited by vette ruminator; 02-03-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:46 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
AWWWW MAN!!! That just ain't right.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:56 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: Chicago got hit with about 3 inches of snow which was a surprise for me today, so I had the vette and not my snow car. I have all-season runflats which are better than the summer Z51 tires in the cold, but they are not true snow tires. The car was drivable being very careful on flat stretches, but I got caught on a tollway offramp. Even going slow and driving carefully, the incline caused the car to slide (slowly and painfully) towards the inside shoulder until I thought I would lose it. Once the offramp cleared of traffic, I was able to make it out, with the ABS and traction control going off constantly. It was not fun. If I had had the car in competitve driving mode, it may have allowed a little more wheelspin and yaw to allow me to get out easier without the computer being convinced I was going to be in a 2 mph crash. Driving in snow is not new to me, but I will check the forecast from now on and drive the beater in the white stuff.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:36 PM
zach lawrence
Racer

I too drove about 60 miles today in Chicago snowstorm. 4 Blizzaks. Absolutely no problems, except for other drivers who forgot how to drive in snow since last winter.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 PM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bmbl-Bee
My experience is don't do it
I think Bmbl-Bee has summed it up nicely!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by vette ruminator
I have had my Z51 MN6 since 6/05, and I did notice tire slip with OEM supercar tires. I bought a gently used set of wheels from a fellow forum member and the Goodyear All-Season EMTs, with tire pressure sensors from Fred Beans. It is expected that you will have to buy new tires at some point, so instead of wearing out one set and replacing it, I use 2 sets with different purposes and get more use out of the car. I noticed a significant improvement in traction, as the summer tire compound is just too brittle for good traction in cold weather. I have driven in the snow and it's not bad, either as long as you drive with a little common sense. The active handling and traction control is priceless in the winter.

Here's to seat heaters!

Hey you better hurry up and take your car into the dealer. Your outside temp gauge looks like it's missing a few "lines" and it put a dash in front of it too!!! Also do you think 64 is warm??? LOL
Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Daoust
Instructor

Good morning everyone. Thanks for all your input regarding driving in snow. In ref. to ice, "no car cuts it". I am leaving Mar. 2nd. but based on most comments, I will be watching the weather patterns and if necessary may leave a little early, if it looks like we may get hit with something substantial. Nothing wrong with a snow-bird spending a few more days in the warmth of the south. Regards Dusty
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
babaganoosh
Instructor

Default No way

don't even think about it! Wide tires - no tread - no weight = bad bad formula.
Rent a 4 x4 with big skinny tires instead and leave your baby safe at home.

Quick Reply: Driving a C6 in Snow-What is your experience?