C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sport car world cup

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:50 PM
wratran
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sport car world cup

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...vette-z06.html
Has anyone see this shoot out in Car and Driver?. Z06 took 3rd, but best overall performance.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:56 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I just got my issue, but I haven't read it yet
Old 02-03-2007, 07:17 PM
mdwsr2003
Pro

Location: Metro Atlanta (by way of L.A.) Ga (Army Strong Retired)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But the Z06 Blew both of them away in speed, and I know that there are a lot of other perameters that go into what makes a great sports car, but I think two of the most popular are Speed and Curb Appeal
Old 02-03-2007, 07:21 PM
wratran
Burning Brakes

dont forget the +40k sticker for the other foreign cars.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:45 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default This test was one of the reasons I don't enjoy this magazine any more...

The main thing is they're all over the map when it comes to ranking in comparison tests. In some tests pricing is a big part of the final criteria. They dinged a VW points and bumped it down to second in one comparison because of the price - yet that price included lots of stuff the others didn't. In another comparison they allowed a higher priced BMW to compete so that it would have the same level of interior options - yet one of the competing cars didn't get the handling package option because that would have priced it higher than the other competitors (but less than the BMW with it's options).

This review was a laugh to me because when they talk about the F430, they say: "but — bank account willing — this is the car we would take out of this trio.". Sorry - but how many of the writers bank accounts are willing?!

Not to say that the F430 isn't a fantastic car, and probably deserves first place (I won't know, because even with all of the millionaires working here at the "Evil Empire", I still don't know anyone with a F430). But c'mon - give GM it's due for bringing a higher level of performance than either of the other two competitors to (somewhat) ordinary folks budgets.

Okay - sorry - off my soapbox and got that rant off my chest! :o
Old 02-03-2007, 07:50 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default +$40k is a bit of an understatement - try +$59k and + $109k!

Originally Posted by wratran
dont forget the +40k sticker for the other foreign cars.
It's almost silly to compare these cars because of the price discrepancy. Even worse - better performance with the Z, at almost 1/3rd the price of the F430, and they're still complaining about the interior not being as nice!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:13 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I love their comments about the brakes

"It might stop from 70 mph in the shortest distance — 146 feet — but the brake-pedal feel isn’t as good as the Ferrari’s and Porsche’s"

"The braking performance" (Porsche) "might not match the Corvette’s, but the pedal feel is linear and reassuring in a way the Corvette’s can’t match."

Gimme a break!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default That's because "feel" is really important when..

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I love their comments about the brakes

"It might stop from 70 mph in the shortest distance — 146 feet — but the brake-pedal feel isn’t as good as the Ferrari’s and Porsche’s"

"The braking performance" (Porsche) "might not match the Corvette’s, but the pedal feel is linear and reassuring in a way the Corvette’s can’t match."

Gimme a break!
You've just been beaten to the finish line, and you have to explain why your car cost's 80% more than the Vette!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care about the article since there is only one car in it that I can afford.
I just think all car mags would be better if the writers disclosed what cars they personally own.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Catalyze
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Linear feeling on brakes? Hmmmmmmm.....an Alco locomotive has real linear feeling brakes with dynamic braking but I'll take the Corvette unless its a deer in front of me. The Alco has a better bumper.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:02 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C6400hp
I don't care about the article since there is only one car in it that I can afford.
I just think all car mags would be better if the writers disclosed what cars they personally own.
An unsurprisingly large number of old Camrys, Accords, and other beaters. Writing for the car rags doesn't pay very well, so very few car magazine scribblers have nice cars.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 PM
wratran
Burning Brakes

Somewhere in the article, it mentioned the F430 stop accelerating at 186... but the vette is still going...."
THAT KICKING SOME A**.

Numbers doesnt lie..but opinion do....

Get notified of new replies

To sport car world cup

Quick Reply: sport car world cup